Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

petition for Model S Hot Wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for signing the petition asking Mattel to add the Model S to their Hot Wheels line! (attached)

One of our Teslive aficionados has a friend at Mattel who just happens to work in the Hot Wheels division, so we'll send this petition directly to him. I'll keep you posted about any response from Mattel.

Attachments

• 07-16-2013 09-1.pdf
    1 MB · Views: 551
Is there real demand for this (i.e. in the thousands)? I'm a promotional products salesman and I can easily get this done... of course with Tesla's permission. Is this something Tesla may want to sell in their store?

Well there is already Tesla Roadster available in the Hot Wheels line, and with all of the recent media exposure, I'm sure the Model S would fit into the Hot Wheels lineup just as well all of the other cars they have.

Greg, if you mean that you could get someone to produce a Model S toy, while I would still enjoy that (I would actually like to build a model that is much larger than a Hot Wheels), I still think many people here are looking for an official Hot Wheels product.

I sent an email to revell a while ago asking about a model.

Response,

James,
Thank you for your interest in Revell as well as taking the time to send your request.
At this time there are no plans to release requested item. However, Revell’s Product Development Team is always looking at subject matter to add to the product line. Your email has been forwarded to that team for possible future consideration.
Regards,
Vicki

[video=vimeo;70661187]https://vimeo.com/70661187[/video]

Elon didn't sign the petition, but as you can see in my friend's video, he was very much open to the idea, and the audience was most enthusiastic. You can almost feel the energy in the room!

Time to get your tweet on.

Screen Shot 2013-07-20 at 3.10.31 PM.png

Besides Hot Wheels, there are many other makers of scale model diecast cars, in larger scales than Hot Wheels/Matchbox. Maisto is one of them, and they have an email address that will accept suggestions and requests for cars you would like to see produced. BBurago is another company that makes scale model diecast cars, also owned by the Maycheong Group, same email address:

The email address is:

[email protected]

This email addresses are taken from the very first FAQ on their website(s):

Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

I emailed them and received a nice response back, thanking me for the input. Now everyone else who wants to see a scale Model S should do the same!

Other makers of nice scale model diecast cars include:

Minichamps (1:43) [email protected]

AUTOArt [email protected]

There are many more players in this market, I am listing just a few of the bigger names.

If we show enough interest, one of these companies will have to bite!

I was looking for Model S Hot Wheels or other toys this Christmas, to no avail. Anybody else seen any? I heard a rumor that Mattel decided to pass on the Model S for 2014 but hopefully that decision was made before the recent accolades for the Model S, Tesla Motors, and the Fortune Businessperson of the Year. Awards aside, I know lots of kids (and adults) who would love this new addition to the Hot Wheels lineup.
For any of you who want to go upscale, may I suggest the unique Model S sculpture at DRIVING THE FUTURE | teslaccessories.com

I definitely want a Tesla model S hot wheels or matchbox car, a few as a matter of fact. I'd give them to my friends who are still contemplating buying the real deal. How about somebody creating a 3-D template so we can just print them up on 3-D printers? I'll take mine in white, white roof & tan interior.

- - - Updated - - -

Is there real demand for this (i.e. in the thousands)? I'm a promotional products salesman and I can easily get this done... of course with Tesla's permission. Is this something Tesla may want to sell in their store?

I'm sure Tesla is interested! When I put down my Model S deposit, they gave me a Tesla roadster hot wheel. And at a later they gave my son a TV Tesla roadster hot wheel, also unopened in the Matel package. A Tesla Model S hot wheel has big potential (sales, promotion), including a growing overseas market. Heck they're selling Tesla lunchboxes!

Has anybody moved forward on this?

A Tesla Model S hot wheel has big potential (sales, promotion), including a growing overseas market. Heck they're selling Tesla lunchboxes!

Has anybody moved forward on this?

There is a thread somewhere on the official Tesla forums with confirmation and prototype of a Hot Wheels Tesla Model S coming out next year.

I don't remember where the thread was-- but if you scroll down this link, you'll see it: the Lamley Group: Nigel Cooper

EDIT: Sorry-- it's a MATCHBOX model. Even better as they're less likely to put goofy graphics on it.

Here's hoping! He told me in June that they've been meeting w Tesla, but I couldn't help prodding when I (belatedly) came across this thread. Yes, there are other diecast makers, many of whom have done other plug-in models. But HWs have always been big in my house; I bought Roadsters by the case. :)