Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Arizona low emission plates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello. I'm still quite a ways away from being a Tesla owner (dang it!), but I have a question for any Tesla owners currently living in AZ. Do you qualify for the low emission license plates that let you use the HOV lane? I currently have a Prius and have one of those plates. The MVD website says "Only vehicle make/models that met the standards at the start of the program in 2007 are eligible. Since this is a continuation of the pilot program and not a new program, no additional vehicle models can be included." So it sounds like only the Prius, Honda Civic hyrbid, and Honda Insight are eligible. I'd hate to lose my plates because being able to use the HOV lane anytime sure saves me a lot of time!

Hello. I'm still quite a ways away from being a Tesla owner (dang it!), but I have a question for any Tesla owners currently living in AZ. Do you qualify for the low emission license plates that let you use the HOV lane? I currently have a Prius and have one of those plates. The MVD website says "Only vehicle make/models that met the standards at the start of the program in 2007 are eligible. Since this is a continuation of the pilot program and not a new program, no additional vehicle models can be included." So it sounds like only the Prius, Honda Civic hyrbid, and Honda Insight are eligible. I'd hate to lose my plates because being able to use the HOV lane anytime sure saves me a lot of time!

Don't worry. AZ's Alternate Fuel plate is available to owners of EVs. Info is here Motor Vehicle Division -- Notice that it says "vehical must be powered exclusively by" and includes electricity on the list...

Technically its a different program than what you reverence above, which was they hybrid program, and was capped at 10,000 hybrids that met certain criteria.

Don't worry. AZ's Alternate Fuel plate is available to owners of EVs. Info is here Motor Vehicle Division -- Notice that it says "vehical must be powered exclusively by" and includes electricity on the list...

Technically its a different program than what you reverence above, which was they hybrid program, and was capped at 10,000 hybrids that met certain criteria.

Ok. Thanks. And I didn't realize the plates could be personalized..

They are far cheaper to register and you can also do it for 5 years... If you do personalize, it almost ends up being the same as it is to register but both together are still far less than you normally would pay just for registration alone for a year. Ours was $159 for 5 years for the registration and I think $127 for the personalized plates.

Ok. Thanks. And I didn't realize the plates could be personalized..

They are far cheaper to register and you can also do it for 5 years... If you do personalize, it almost ends up being the same as it is to register but both together are still far less than you normally would pay just for registration alone for a year. Ours was $159 for 5 years for the registration and I think $127 for the personalized plates.

by the way... We're you heading southbound on Scottsdale rd about 3:30 this afternoon? I was heading north and a black S was going south...

Not today... :crying: Had to head up North in the ICE for a window replacement measurement. Finally get to drive it tomorrow though! Getting a quote to install a 14-50 up at the Cabin... going to need it after the reservation we made this weekend at the factory. :biggrin:

by the way... We're you heading southbound on Scottsdale rd about 3:30 this afternoon? I was heading north and a black S was going south...

Not today... :crying: Had to head up North in the ICE for a window replacement measurement. Finally get to drive it tomorrow though! Getting a quote to install a 14-50 up at the Cabin... going to need it after the reservation we made this weekend at the factory. :biggrin:

Congrats! We need to meet up so you can tell me more...

Mine will sit parked for a couple weeks -- we're heading up to my in laws on Saltspring Island, Canada in a week to cool off,,,

Definitely... just let me know when you are available. Have pics of the prototype and is what sealed the deal for us. Looks very nice (I know it may change a little but still pretty close to being final vs. early prototype). Well worth going to the factory for a tour if you have the chance (though we saw the X at the party and not on the tour). Have a good time up in the GWN! *Check yours via the app as I don't think it always charges each day when it sits...

Congrats! We need to meet up so you can tell me more...

Mine will sit parked for a couple weeks -- we're heading up to my in laws on Saltspring Island, Canada in a week to cool off,,,

Additionally, PHEV's (e.g., Volt and Karma) do not qualify for the AZ alternative fuel plate but full EV's (Teslas, LEAF, Focus EV) do. However, I've also seen such plates on a Volt and a Karma. I was able to talk to one Volt owner with such a plate and he said the DMV allowed him to transfer the alternative fuel plate from his Prius to his Volt.

So, you might have more options with your Prius plate once you sell it.

I was at the temp Phoenix area service center yesterday and saw a model S with a plate "Pure EV". If that's anyone here, great plate! Wish I had thought of it.

Additionally, PHEV's (e.g., Volt and Karma) do not qualify for the AZ alternative fuel plate but full EV's (Teslas, LEAF, Focus EV) do. However, I've also seen such plates on a Volt and a Karma. I was able to talk to one Volt owner with such a plate and he said the DMV allowed him to transfer the alternative fuel plate from his Prius to his Volt.

So, you might have more options with your Prius plate once you sell it.

AZ has allowed transfer of the hybrid plate to another qualifying hybrid. But if you don't transfer it, you lose the rights to the plate. They occasionally re-open the hybrid program and issue new plates to keep the program at its 10,000 cap...

Not an issue for someone going form a Prius to a Tesla or Leaf....

I'm still slightly confused. My family and I are relocating to the Phoenix area in 2 weeks. I just got off the phone with AZDOT and after taking down my make, model and year, they told me that it would be well over $1000 to register my vehicle and also that the Tesla Model S is not eligible for the Arizona Energy Efficient Vehicle program. I am assuming that this is because the MS is not a hybrid. It should still be eligible as an Alternate fuel Vehicle (AFV) though and I should still be able to register for a cheaper price and for the AFV plates because like most beauracracies they don't know their own rules and regulations--am I correct in assuming this? Also, are the plates for AFVs and AEEVs the same (the powder blue with the clouds)? Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    186.5 KB · Views: 206
Whomever you spoke with was wrong. All pure EV's are eligible. The image you posted is in reference to some hybrid plates being released. There is a long story on that, but in this wacky state, the way the law was originally written was that hybrids qualified for the plate - Prius and Insight. But there was a loophole such that a lot of SUV's would do some minor modification and allegedly make the car capable of using an alternate fuel and whether they used the alternate fuel or not - the car would qualify as a hybrid and get the special plate.

The loophole has since been closed, but the old cars were grandfathered. Recently, the state released 1800 hybrid plates from this old law from vehicles whose registrations were not renewed, then and made some new PHEV's eligible.

A Tesla Roadster, Model S, Nissan LEAF, BMW i3 without Rex, Ford Focus Electric, Smart ED, and all other full BEV's do not fall under this hybrid program. They fully qualify for alternative fuel plate.

There was a thread I started about a year ago about Tesla-friendly DMV's in the area. Just go to one of those. They are familiar with Teslas and EV's and you will be fine. You'll get the HOV plate and registration will be very low. My Roadster was $125 for 5 years.

Last edited:
I'm still slightly confused. My family and I are relocating to the Phoenix area in 2 weeks. I just got off the phone with AZDOT and after taking down my make, model and year, they told me that it would be well over $1000 to register my vehicle and also that the Tesla Model S is not eligible for the Arizona Energy Efficient Vehicle program. I am assuming that this is because the MS is not a hybrid. It should still be eligible as an Alternate fuel Vehicle (AFV) though and I should still be able to register for a cheaper price and for the AFV plates because like most beauracracies they don't know their own rules and regulations--am I correct in assuming this? Also, are the plates for AFVs and AEEVs the same (the powder blue with the clouds)? Thanks in advance.

The Model S is an EV and qualifies under the AFV (Alternative Fuel Vehicle) program. What you were told is specific to the plug-in hybrid program, which involves the same plate in addition to a special "hybrid" sticker that is placed in the middle of that plate. Model S simply qualifies under a different program. Registration is under $200 for five years, add another $125 or so if you are getting vanity plates.

I'm so sorry that you were provided with incorrect information. The state gets what it pays for.

Thanks guys! I think I do have to come register in person though. I'll check your thread. Looking forward to the AZ winter (since I'm coming from Chicago)!!

Welcome! I was born and raised in Chicago and have lived in the Phoenix area for 10 years now. My wife moved out here in 1997. You're coming at a crappy time with the summer heat and monsoons, but it will all be worth it in the Fall, Winter, and Spring!

Chicago is a great city, though. If they would just cancel winter, I would move back. :wink:

As others have already said, the person you spoke with was wrong.

Thanks everyone. Guess I'll just have to get there and do it in person. Looking forward to the Supercharger roadtrip from Chicago to Phoenix. Always wanted to take the family on a Griswold like roadtrip to Mt. Rushmore, Arches Natl. Park, etc. but was too uninspired. Now I have a great reason!