Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Marekting Query: Would YOU preferentially patronize a free-charging inn/hotel/b&b?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

AudubonB

One can NOT induce accuracy via precision!
Mar 24, 2013
(Moderators: feel free to move to a more appropriate site, if any)

I hope I haven't skated across a forbidden line in posing this. If this thread's not deleted, I suppose I have my answer.

Although here in Alaska we haven't and never could have sufficient electricity to be able to provide free charging to any of our cabin guests (we even have to charge visitors for the privilege of plugging in their cars during cold-weather spells), Arizona is a different story.

And one of the projects we are contemplating is to create in AZ a B&B that emulates SOME - of course not all - of what we do here. So this thread is somewhat of a poll:

Given that our AZ location is

1. directly off the PHX - Las Vegas arterial, and

2. indirectly on the PHX - LA & San Diego corridor (and on the picturesque alternative - near the Rtes 60 / 89 / 93 triple point)

that brings to mind whether other Tesla drivers think that an establishment that offers free EV charging might successfully catch the eye of the traveler? Or do enough bog-standard locations (chains, for example) already offer same, so that this would not represent any kind of novelty?

Now, to me (but remember, this is from a potential offeror) such a tool suggests, beyond the practicality of a guest getting his car charged, the prospect of staying with a progressively-minded, responsible host. But: does this count for anything?

For me, it definitely would be somewhere I would patronize whether I needed the charge or not.
I have been known to use public car chargers simply to show people EVs exist (they are still very rare in Minnesota).
And yes, if traveling and I was aware of an establishment that provides access to car chargers, I would give them my business.

Well, because they have to pay for the electricity you use, free just means "included in the cost" so it's immaterial whether the charge is, for example, $40 for a room and $10 for a charge or $50 for a room and charge is free. However, I'd always give business to an establishment with charging in preference to one without.

If charging for it means you are more likely to install it then go ahead and charge for it. You could even charge something minimal just to cover the cost of electricity like $5.

Last edited:
A hotel that guarantees my all night access to a NEMA 14-50 or other MS-compatible charging option at 200V+ / 30+ Amps is definitely a big draw. I recently did an overnight trip from the SF Bay Area to Fresno. Called a number of Fresno hotels and could not find any with a workable charging option for my MS. One hotel offered 110V which could not have put enough kWh into the battery to get me home. I ended up staying at a hotel that is a 10-minute walk from an RV Park where I rented a NEMA 14-50 RV slot for the night @ $35. Not ideal, but it worked.

The Tesla Model S is a great road trip car, and hotels with charging options to refill the 85 kWh battery overnight will attract business.

Excellent reactions so far - this is encouraging. Now, although we would have, naturally, a soft spot (and a parking spot!!!!) for Teslas, does anyone know how compatible our 14-50 would be for NON-Tesla EVs? Do Leaf, BMWi, etc. owners tend to carry around the appropriate convertor plugs?????

Excellent reactions so far - this is encouraging. Now, although we would have, naturally, a soft spot (and a parking spot!!!!) for Teslas, does anyone know how compatible our 14-50 would be for NON-Tesla EVs? Do Leaf, BMWi, etc. owners tend to carry around the appropriate convertor plugs?????

I'm almost positive that Leaf and Volt owners would have to buy an adapter to use a 14-50, but any that are on a road trip have already found out how to make or purchase one.

You would be a hero if you did a high-amperage J1772.

I don't believe any other EV could use a NEMA 14-50.
A high amperage J1772 would be the best way to go as all EVs can use it.
That, or at the very least a 110 outlet next to the NEMA 14-50 as overnight that will give the other EVs a good percentage of their pack charge, in the case of the Volt, all of it.

By the way, since it's your establishment, you get the opportunity to let the EV owners know your EV etiquette expectations and maybe your night manager could offer to move the plug between cars overnight. If there were a few of us who needed to charge, I would find it very valuable to have the overnight charging managed for me.

Through the end of 2013 there is a 30% federal tax credit for installations of EV charging stations.
Alternative Fuels Data Center: Alternative Fuel Infrastructure Tax Credit

J-1772 charge stations can be used with almost all EVs, including Tesla MS. NEMA 14-50 is only useful for Tesla MS, but costs less than a J-1772 station. A mix of both J-1772 and NEMA 14-50 might be the most cost effective solution for a hotel.