Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Need Info on Roadster Door Panel Removal

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

JohnGarziglia

Supporting Member
Oct 22, 2011
Reston, Virginia
I would like to remove the inside door panels on my 2.5 to install sound deadening. Do I just use a panel separator and the panel is held on by clips or are there hidden screws or other fasteners? Should I buy new clips in advance because some will break? Any description of how to remove the Roadster door panel is much appreciated

My experience is with a 1.5 and I also helped HCSharp and he has a 2.0 or 2.5 and it was the same procedure. For that you do not need any special tools. The chrome on the handle pops off and there are two (8 mm I believe) bolts that need to be removed. Then on the top right and bottom edge of the fabric/leather you have to bend it back to find two more additional bolts (8mm I believe) then the door panel will come off. There are about 5 plastic caps/fasteners that hold the door on besides the 4 bolts. There are also wires for the speakers and windows/locks that have to be unplugged but that is straight forward. It was uncomfortable the first time I did it and was fortunate as I had a Ranger watching me. I say this as bending the leather panel back to gain access to the screws was a bit scary but be gentle and all should work out. Once the screws are out it does take a bit of force to pull the plastic fasteners again I was worried I might break something but then just as my worry reach the top of anxiety the panel separated off with no problem.

:scared:wow that sounds scary!!!!

Reston is only about 60mi from Crofton ....... huummmm ....... Hey John need some help??

Thanks. I am on the last part of a long-term squeak, rattle, sound-deadening project with my Roadster. I hope to post something soon. For sound-deadening, since I have the 2.5, I already have the Tesla noise reduction in the cabin so my approach to sound-deadening has been to explore other areas of the vehicle in which sound-deadening material might make a difference in some of the noise made when going over bumps. The doors are actually the last remaining thing I have to do. I am not sure if additional sound-deadening in the doors will help as I assume there is already some in there, although knocking in the middle of the outside of each door, the panels sound pretty hollow. But there is also a nasty air leak that comes through the inside door release handle in the cold weather I would like to try to find a way to seal.

Bubbling with anticipation on how this last phase of the long-term squeak, rattle, sound-deadening project turns out! I pulled off a door panel to my GF's Jetta about a year ago - this was only to install a replacement side mirror - and I was horrified the whole time. I'd like to do everything John has done so far - I just don't know how to do it myself! Maybe I can get a freelance mechanic to do it with my while I "instruct" using all of John's details from his mission. . .

I wish I wasn't 700 miles away from you guys! ERRRRRRRRRR!

I've made some pictures of the door panel removal of my 2011 Tesla Roadster 2.5 Sport. The instructions by dhrivnak are pretty accurate. Hope these extra pictures make it even clearer.

First remove the 2 8mm bolts of the door handle:
IMG_7503.jpg

Then bend the trim a bit to reveal one of the hidden bolts and screw it loose:
IMG_7506.jpg

And the same for the hidden bolt on the other side:
IMG_7507.jpg

Once you have taken off the 4 bolts you can safely pull off the entire door trim:
IMG_7508.jpg

Finally you can undo the connectors of the window and speaker.
IMG_7510.jpg

The whole procedure takes about 5-10 minutes.
Enjoy!