Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Orange Peel

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've done some searching on this forum but haven't found much discussion on orange peel. We will be taking delivery of our P85 with red this week (hopefully) -- it was a demo model, and perhaps some of you may have seen it on the White Plains, NY showroom floor. Being in the showroom, it was under the bright lights, and under those lights it was easy to see some texture or orange peel. What I wish is that it weren't there, but given that it is, finding a professional detailer who can level the paint, and then apply something like Opticoat and/or a wrapping.

Has anyone here actually had their paint on their brand new S leveled? One detailer said he won't do it b/c the clearcoat is likely too thin to allow that type of correction safely.

Thanks,
-Matt

My black only had the tiniest bit of orange peel before I had it wrapped in Xpel and my friend's multicoat red none at all, so I don't have any direct experience here, but my previous red Audi had terrible orange peel.

You may find the Opti-Coat smooths over the orange peel a bit. It's a syrup-like acrylic resin and self levels if applied correctly. It helped quite a bit on the Audi.

I've done some searching on this forum but haven't found much discussion on orange peel. We will be taking delivery of our P85 with red this week (hopefully) -- it was a demo model, and perhaps some of you may have seen it on the White Plains, NY showroom floor. Being in the showroom, it was under the bright lights, and under those lights it was easy to see some texture or orange peel. What I wish is that it weren't there, but given that it is, finding a professional detailer who can level the paint, and then apply something like Opticoat and/or a wrapping.

Has anyone here actually had their paint on their brand new S leveled? One detailer said he won't do it b/c the clearcoat is likely too thin to allow that type of correction safely.

Thanks,
-Matt

The first thing I did after picking up my car was have it detailed by a detailer specializing in CQuartz Finest and Opticoat (I had him use CQuartz). He was able to measure the thickness of the paint and clearcoat at several areas on the car and a good detailer should be able to tell you whether the car can be paint corrected safely. BTW, Tesla has replaced Porsche as his #2 most favorite car to detail...Ferrari at #1. Anyone in the SF Bay Area should check out Immaculate Reflections, Jeff McGoveran, Immaculate Reflections, 925 354-7653. He has now done many Teslas!

The first thing I did after picking up my car was have it detailed by a detailer specializing in CQuartz Finest and Opticoat (I had him use CQuartz). He was able to measure the thickness of the paint and clearcoat at several areas on the car and a good detailer should be able to tell you whether the car can be paint corrected safely. BTW, Tesla has replaced Porsche as his #2 most favorite car to detail...Ferrari at #1. Anyone in the SF Bay Area should check out Immaculate Reflections, Jeff McGoveran, Immaculate Reflections, 925 354-7653. He has now done many Teslas!

I would also like to vouch for Jeff's detail work.