Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is there a way to get HomeLink to work for condo gates ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We just got a new gate system at our condo association and I tried to program homelink for it with no success. I assume those gate clickers are more sophisticated than a simple garage opener as also you can't set/change anything on the sender.

My clicker also only transmits for 2-3 seconds, I assume that would be to short for the system to pick up the signal.

Did anyone get this to work for anything else but a garage door ?

We just got a new gate system at our condo association and I tried to program homelink for it with no success. I assume those gate clickers are more sophisticated than a simple garage opener as also you can't set/change anything on the sender.

My clicker also only transmits for 2-3 seconds, I assume that would be to short for the system to pick up the signal.

Did anyone get this to work for anything else but a garage door ?

You need access to a button in the gate control box that allows a new remote to be programmed. With that access, I was able to add Homelink control to our gate. This doesn't preclude the gate from being Homelink incompatible, but without access to the gate controls, you can't program it anyway.

Is the gate opener homelink compatible?

I have a similar problem. Unfortunately, the gate I go through is not homelink compatible. I am currently experimenting with a homelink compatible receiver that I can use to trigger my gate clicker. This is because the window doesn't pass rf so I have to hold the clicker out the window to get it to open the gate. Once I get it working, I'll mount the clicker and receiver in the nose cone and program it next to the gate so geofencing will put up the homelink button to tap. Don't know if that's something you'd be interested in...

I'm currently having trouble getting the supposedly homelink compatible receiver to accept programming. Not sure if I have a broken one or something else.

My non-home link compatible community gate works but I ahd to program it differently.

I did all the same steps for my gate, but instead of holding the remote button I kept pressing the button every few seconds. Took a couple of takes but the S finally grabbed the signal. Now when I push homelink gate button on the screen, I can hear about 5-6 signals getting sent to the gate. It opens well but it is unlikely I can close the gate. The gate does auto-close though so who cares. I just want in.

This may not work on a newer system, but it may be worth a try.

Walla, can you tell me about your remote control. Mine actually has an RFID card that you slide into it. Made by nadap.

I suspect mine is not even close to compatible because the association wanted to prevent people from cloning the signal.

Last edited:
My Ghetto is about 15 years old, and the gate is normally left open during the day. I was able to program the Tesla Homelink, but only after hours when the gate was closed and I parked near it. I have tried the same approach with the LEAF, but so far, nada.

I also have a transmit for three second clicker. The trick in my case was to hold down for two seconds, quickly release and hold down for two seconds and repeat till programmed.

I tried that with no success. How can I know if the system is compatible with homelink or not ? Does it have to be a special frequency or must it be encrypted ?

If you still havent figured it out yet how to program it, All you have to do is hold the homelink button you want to be programmed and the clicker at the the same. When the clicker light goes off, just press it and hold the button again. Do this repeatedly until your homelink light flash rapidly and then let go of the buttons.

I think i pressed and held my clicker 3 or 4 times until i got a rapid flash on my homelink. I did this on 2 cars easy so i hope it makes it really easy for you guys.

Time to let go of those ugly clickers... just save one good clicker for reprogramming or other cars.

My non-home link compatible community gate works but I ahd to program it differently.

I did all the same steps for my gate, but instead of holding the remote button I kept pressing the button every few seconds. Took a couple of takes but the S finally grabbed the signal. Now when I push homelink gate button on the screen, I can hear about 5-6 signals getting sent to the gate. It opens well but it is unlikely I can close the gate. The gate does auto-close though so who cares. I just want in.

Same here. I looked up my gate's model number and it wasn't technically supported, but I popped a new battery in the clicker, and just pressed it a bunch of times in a row while the S was learning. Worked just fine. No control box fiddling required.

That said, prior to replacing the battery, it didn't work at all no matter what I did. It seems like the receiver is not terribly sensitive.

I know this was forever ago, but this was the ONLY thing that worked for us! Hold the remote 1" from the Tesla symbol and hold it down only for 2 seconds, and repeat. It took in 3 clicks!! (Had tried 7 times for full 30 second cycle while holding the button down constantly, but as wallla2 indicated, it's only transmitting for the first 2 seconds of the hold-down. You can actually see the red button go slightly dimmer at 2 seconds. This was AWESOME advice, walla2, Thank you!!!

Reactions: walla2
My mothers community gate uses a secure rolling code remote that can't be cloned, and they don't give access to program the gate to the car.
What I ended up doing was purchasing a remote control relay from amazon, connecting a 9volt battery to power it, and soldering the two wires to the button leads of the community gate remote control. I put it all in a small box and just leave it in the glove box. I could then program the remote control that came with the relay to homelink.

HomeLink sends the open signal, the wireless relay sees it and triggers the community gate remote that opens the gate. All done automatically.

Here are the links to what I ordered:
DC 4V 5V 6V 7.4V 9V 12V Wireless Relay Remote Control One Key Switch Receiver + Transmitter for Computer,Auto Door,Window

9 V Battery Clip Connector, I-Type 9 Volt Battery Clip, 9V Battery Buckle Connector Hard Buckle Plastic Housing and Black Red Wires Leads Iength 5.9 inches (I Type Hard Shell 8PCS)