Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dual 120V to NEMA 14-50 adapter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is there a dual 120V to NEMA 14-50 adapter available? I can't seem to find one. If so, does anyone have any experience with it using the UMC? How many miles (or kW) per hour of charge do you get?

This would seem to be a better choice rather than plugging into the standard 120V alone when other faster charging options are not readily available, such as at a friend's or relative's house.

Be aware that these dual 120v converters all have the limitation that neither receptacle can be GFCI protected which eliminates exterior plugs, kitchen plugs, and many garage plugs. Also, of course, you have to find two receptacles that are not only on different circuit breakers, but on different 120v legs of the electrical panel.

Be aware that these dual 120v converters all have the limitation that neither receptacle can be GFCI protected which eliminates exterior plugs, kitchen plugs, and many garage plugs. Also, of course, you have to find two receptacles that are not only on different circuit breakers, but on different 120v legs of the electrical panel.

Thanks. I was under the mistaken impression that I could simply plug into the same receptacle. It would have made my life much easier. BTW, when I did the search for the Quick 220, it didn't seem to have the 14-50 plug available. Steambrite does have a 14-50 version, but it seems much bulkier. Do you think the EMW JuiceBox would have an advantage here at all? Is it redundant with an UMC and dual 120V converter? My condo association does not allow any wiring modifications. I think my best bet for charging is to rig some type of dual 120V outlet.

Last edited:
Juice box won't help. Check out your plugs, you don't want to be stringing extension cords around as a permanent solution. Supposedly in CA there is a state law that requires property owners to allow for the install of EV chargers, maybe Florida has something similar.

And one must be careful as an electrician should wire all plugs the same way (black wire hot) because the reality in AC it does not matte,r some people are not consistent. So when you you plug both together there is a chance you cross wires for a nice pop. Unless you have done a lot of wiring and know how to test first I would not recommend doing this.

Yes, that's why making a dual 120v adapter is involved. You need to use at least two relays (my design uses three) for safety otherwise you'll have problems even if the receptacles are wired correctly. Just wiring things together will result in one of your 120v PLUGS having live 120v on it when you are plugged into the UMC and the other 120v plug is plugged in. That's a big hairy shock hazard.

Just a quick note that you really won't find these devices for sale readily because of their danger. They violate many provisions of the electrical codes and present an issue for safety grounding because they connect to two different, non-parallel branch circuits.

You can make them work, but in the case of a wiring failure, you can electrocute someone even with all the bells-and-whistles safety relays in the device.

I don't get it.. we're talking about using these kinda cheap half assed solutions to charge our Teslas? Are you kidding me? Spend the little extra to actually get a good setup. It's worth spending a bit extra to make sure things are done correctly.

I just installed a 14-50 on the side of my house using 6AWG wire based on a 50a draw over 50ft (25ft to the receptacle, 20ft UMC). Only cost me about $200 in parts.

I don't get it.. we're talking about using these kinda cheap half assed solutions to charge our Teslas? Are you kidding me? Spend the little extra to actually get a good setup. It's worth spending a bit extra to make sure things are done correctly.

Try reading the first post and maybe you'll get it: "This would seem to be a better choice rather than plugging into the standard 120V alone when other faster charging options are not readily available, such as at a friend's or relative's house."

I just installed a 14-50 on the side of my house using 6AWG wire based on a 50a draw over 50ft (25ft to the receptacle, 20ft UMC). Only cost me about $200 in parts.

No doubt. These are solutions typically used when travelling to occasional places that don't have any other better electrical source.

A 240V outlet is protected by a double pole breaker where both poles trip together. If you try to cheat and use individual single pole breakers by bridging between two 120V outlets you can create various safety problems. For example, you trip one breaker but the other is still closed. Now your device might be keeping the tripped branch energized since the other breaker is still closed.

A 240V outlet is protected by a double pole breaker where both poles trip together. If you try to cheat and use individual single pole breakers by bridging between two 120V outlets you can create various safety problems. For example, you trip one breaker but the other is still closed. Now your device might be keeping the tripped branch energized since the other breaker is still closed.

You have the same issue if you just unplug one side. The device has to shut down both branches the moment one side is interrupted - that's pretty much the only thing that a Quick220 does for a living, besides being a fancy extension cord.

Wow, I am surprised that the Quick220 is actually UL listed, has some safety interlocks (relay) and a double pole breaker. This is very different then the suggestion earlier about making your own. Of course 120V outlets are typically shared circuits so it is hard to know how many amps you might be able to pull without tripping a circuit, where 240V outlets are typically dedicated circuits (at least in a home).

Wow, I am surprised that the Quick220 is actually UL listed, has some safety interlocks (relay) and a double pole breaker. This is very different then the suggestion earlier about making your own. Of course 120V outlets are typically shared circuits so it is hard to know how many amps you might be able to pull without tripping a circuit, where 240V outlets are typically dedicated circuits (at least in a home).

It was tested against UL1012 ("power units other than class 2"), meaning a simple power supply device. It has not been tested for anything else. Scope is here and the TOC for the standard is here.

I note that Intertek put up a blurb about the discussion where it says this:
C. UL, CSA, OSHA, and the Nationally Recognized Testing Laboratories concern themselves with the safety of products that are brought into the home or business. The NEC (National Electrical Code) addresses the permanent wiring of buildings and other facilities. In general, if it is in the walls or a permanent part of the facility, NEC defines how to do it safely. If you can plug it in, then UL, CSA, OSHA and the testing laboratories address product safety.

While most of this is correct, in one key case, it is absolutely incorrect. The NEC does not just refer to infrastructure wiring of buildings and other facilities. It also handles the way that loads are interfaced to the system. You can't use a receptacle and a plug to get around NEC rules. This is a gray area, of course, but the local code compliance officer (AHJ) will be the judge.

Wow, I am surprised that the Quick220 ... has some safety interlocks (relay) and a double pole breaker. This is very different then the suggestion earlier about making your own.

If you make your own, you NEED to use relays to protect against shock hazards when only one plug is plugged in (which is every time you use it since you can't plug/unplug both plugs at the same time). You shouldn't just wire things together. A dual-120V device is stretching things potentially to the breaking point, so DEFINITELY use at your own risk!