Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

DC area Tesla drive in September

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

andrewket

Dec 20, 2012
If there is interest, I'd like to organize a Tesla drive in September. Rather than meeting at the store, let's get a caravan going! We could incorporate a stop at the Tyson's location if people are interested in that. A stop at the DC store would likely be problematic with more than 4 cars.

Ideas:

1. Blue ridge
2. Delaware superchargers. CT too?

I'm also going to start organizing a long drive for when we have superchargers all the way down I95. DC to Florida? Maine to FL? I'll start a new thread for that shortly.

Who's interested?

Andrew

We took about a dozen Model S to the Delaware Supercharger back in March and had a great time. Since then a whole lot more Model S have been delivered to the DC area, and I am sure many of these folks have not yet had the pleasure of supercharging. If the Richmond Area supercharger is up by then, that may be an option. In fact, an impromptu rally at the State Capital might be fun! JT

I would be interested. The only problem with driving to the supercharger would be that many of us (especially the 60s) would need to charge up and if there are several cars (optimistically 10-20), that would be a long wait for everyone to charge up (even if it is just for 20-30 min)

Definitely interested! The Richmond one is supposed to be "Summer", whatever that means.

With respect to charging time and lots of cars: we can each do the math of how much juice we need for the trip. We were very accommodating to each other in the March Delaware trip. For instance 85kwh cars can go DC to RIC round trip without any additional charge at all. The purpose of the trip would be first of all for new people to try out the SC and see that it works and see how much current you get, track some numbers. And then when you have enough let the next one in. If you are a 60 and need some real time just say so and the group will make way, take it in till you get the miles you need. No problem. Obviously the get together is a few hours depending on the numbers. You want to be first, just say so.

Funny story: when we went to Delaware, we had like 15 Model S lined up and parked all around and had all the slots in use as we stood around and yacked. Another MS drove in coming down from NY on a real trip South, unaware of our party, and I am pretty sure we freaked him out, that he might be in line for hours. We of course told him the story of our trek and immediately backed out a car and gave him a full charge.

Definitely interested! The Richmond one is supposed to be "Summer", whatever that means.

With respect to charging time and lots of cars: we can each do the math of how much juice we need for the trip. We were very accommodating to each other in the March Delaware trip. For instance 85kwh cars can go DC to RIC round trip without any additional charge at all. The purpose of the trip would be first of all for new people to try out the SC and see that it works and see how much current you get, track some numbers. And then when you have enough let the next one in. If you are a 60 and need some real time just say so and the group will make way, take it in till you get the miles you need. No problem. Obviously the get together is a few hours depending on the numbers. You want to be first, just say so.

Funny story: when we went to Delaware, we had like 15 Model S lined up and parked all around and had all the slots in use as we stood around and yacked. Another MS drove in coming down from NY on a real trip South, unaware of our party, and I am pretty sure we freaked him out, that he might be in line for hours. We of course told him the story of our trek and immediately backed out a car and gave him a full charge.

Sounds like a plan.