Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Preview of my Model S wrap

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My first authored post! I've never been someone to really do any type of modifications on cars. I've always felt the factory or factory upgraded looks were the best. There is something about this car though that makes you want to protect it. That being said, I was going to get a clear vinyl wrap. While discussing with the detailer, he mentioned that he could do a full wrap in any color for only a few hundred more than a partial clear wrap. I guess the materials and thicknesses vary. After ruminating on it, I started to think about my current and soon to be turned in leased BMW M3. BMW released a limited edition frozen grey model shortly after I got mine. I'm not into true matte colors but there was something about this color that caught my eye. I'm not terribly flashy but I do like to have my car "subtly" stand out. Anyway, I picked up the car yesterday and drove it the ten miles to the detailer. I won't talk about how ridiculously amazing the car is everyone already knows but I thought I'd give a preview of the job so far.

I've tinted the windows with 20% black all-around. I have kids that will be in the back jump seats soon so wanted as much heat protection as possible. I'm also blacking out the chrome pieces. Finally will be doing a full wrap in frozen grey. I haven't decided what I'll do with the wheels. I have the 19" ones. I was pretty happy with how they look stock but am contemplating powder coating them a dark grey or black as well. We'll see. Anyway, here are a few photos the detailer has sent me so far. I'm picking up the car finished tomorrow night and will post the finished product pics at a later date.

I'm sorry if these are small. He's been sending them to me through facebook messenger.

WindowTint.jpg
Breakdown.jpg
FrntCnr_FrzGry.jpg

I'm supposed to pick up the car tomorrow night after work. I'll take some pics with my good camera and post them up.

There are still some things I'm up in the air about and I'm messaging the detailer back and forth. The chrome around the window areas are going to be glossy black for sure because it will match the texture of the black window tint. However, I've been tossing around the idea of carbon fiber for the front nose and chrome under the side mirrors but am on the fence. At least those areas are small and easy to re-do if I don't like the final product. Not too sure about the door handles either, whether to keep them body colored or go with black. He said he would do one of each choice since they are such small areas so I could see the differences and then decide.

Thanks for the feedback!

- - - Updated - - -

I just received a photo of the handle wrapped in the body color. I think I like it.

DoorHandle.jpg

The door handles look awesome, I think doing them in the same color as the wrap is the way to go. I wish someone could find a way to wrap and match the door handles on stock Model S colors. Would love to get rid of the chrome on the handles but don't really want to go black.

Your car is looking great!

You're debating doing some CF wrapping in places I did on mine. Here are the pics at this thread: Pics of my car with wrapped chrome and some carbon fiber accents

In case you wanted an idea of how it looks. I think it looks great, I'm very happy with it.

Thanks, zax! I was just going to go gloss black on the chrome all around and then saw your car. Ha! Your car is the reason for my debate. I'm still thinking it over but am a minimalist at heart. The good thing is that whatever I decide, I can easily change those little bits without significant cost given that it's a wrap.

Do you mind sharing the cost to do this? I am also about to XPEL, but knowing there are options like this is intriguing.

I'm in the Miami, FL area. The wrap was $2600 but they had a special for Jul 4th and they gave me $300 off. They had to special order this material which is made by Hexis. I don't know anything about this stuff but I've googled a bit and Hexis is supposed to be good stuff. Blacking out the chrome was only $250.

Killer wrap, man.

I would definitely powder coat the wheels. That color is going to look out of place with the new wrap you have. I think with that wrap, black powder coat would look stealthy and real sinister. Dark grey would do the trick too, but I think your wrap calls for a little distinction.

wrap.jpg

Last edited:
love the wrap!! I was considering a matte wrap on my grey but I think it would make my car look too much like primer. Kudos to the door handles. I just posted a thread asking people what they thought about changing it to body color or something else. I like the wrap..kudos

Killer wrap, man.

I would definitely powder coat the wheels. That color is going to look out of place with the new wrap you have. I think with that wrap, black powder coat would look stealthy and real sinister. Dark grey would do the trick too, but I think your wrap calls for a little distinction.

I agree completely. Funny because I just got a quote from a wheel guy to powdercoat them. I'm still debating between black or a dark grey. Right now I'm leaning towards the black. I'll unfortunately have to wait a couple of weeks to get that part done while I do some comparison quotes in the South Florida area.

- - - Updated - - -

love the wrap!! I was considering a matte wrap on my grey but I think it would make my car look too much like primer. Kudos to the door handles. I just posted a thread asking people what they thought about changing it to body color or something else. I like the wrap..kudos

Completely agree with the not wanting the car to look like primer. I did a bunch of google searches of cars with this color wrap and it matches closely with the depth and shine of the finish of the frozen gray M3. When in person, this wrap has a metallic sparkle which also gives it more depth.