Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Minor Rear end damage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone had to get the lower chrome plastic piece in the rear end replaced? If so, any idea on the cost? It looks like either my wife or I backed into something that broke one side of the chrome plastic piece that is on the lower part of the rear bumper. Also, is this something I can have the service center repair or will someone else have to do it?

Still really bummed about the minor damage....the car isn't even one month old yet :crying:

I'd call the Service Center and ask where to start. It might be just a Service Center item. I worked with the Service Center and Queen City Rebuild in Redmond when I got an owie.
By their response, I believe that Queen City is looking to earn some Tesla business. Their estimate was by far the best and the work was top notch.

I had similar damage on my vehicle as my wife likes to driver over curbs in our Model S. To be fair, she prefers driving much smaller cars. :)

Here was our bill from the Fremont Service Center:

Screen Shot 2013-07-11 at 10.18.08 PM.png

As you can see, almost half the expense is labor. :(

I wouldn't trust their quote on the phone. I was given multiple different verbal quotes that were all over the map. It wasn't until they actually ordered the part and I took it to service that I got the "real" quote. I also thought the same thing on labor, two small bolts, no big deal. It turns out it is not that simple, they have to remove the entire rear bumper cover to replace the chrome trim piece.

I saw a car with damage to that piece at TESLIVE. I can't remember whether it was a car that was at TESLIVE, or one that I had simply seen on the highway somewhere, but anyways, I remember thinking that it was weird that the piece was bent inwards instead of broken. I thought it was plastic.

I wouldn't trust their quote on the phone. I was given multiple different verbal quotes that were all over the map. It wasn't until they actually ordered the part and I took it to service that I got the "real" quote. I also thought the same thing on labor, two small bolts, no big deal. It turns out it is not that simple, they have to remove the entire rear bumper cover to replace the chrome trim piece.

I'm thinking most of the cost is justified by the fact that ideally, highly-capable hands are handling your car (the same guys doing this "simple" job are also the guys that will handle the huge problems, it's like asking a mathematics professor to solve 1+1=? for an elementary class) among other reasons like liability etc.

I had the same problem that the trim got bent from driving off after parking reversed over a curb.
I called Tesla and they said their was no functional benefit of the chrome trim, and the part was $225 if I wanted to replace myself. I thought I could just take it off by removing the 2 bolts underneath. Turns out it's attached with an additional screw that requires removal of the bumper, which I had no clue how to do.
Instead I cut off the bent piece with a plier cutter and it looks ok from behind, so I may not even replace it.

Pictures below.

Before:

IMG_20140107_160919.jpg

After:

IMG_20140108_074853.jpg

View from behind:

IMG_20140108_074918.jpg

Actually, the chrome trim piece can be removed without removing the bumper - you just have to be a little nimble. Here's what I did:
1. Remove the two obvious screws at the bottom right and left
2. Pull the chrome assembly toward the rear of the car until the forward tabs on the chrome part slip out of the slots in the underbody panel. (The main part of the bumper cover will flex toward the rear to allow this to happen)
3. Now, you can ease your hand above the chrome piece (from the forward edge) and use an allen wrench to undo the large bolt that secures the chrome piece to the main part of the bumper.
4.While you're in there, use a flashlight to locate the 4 tabs that secure the chrome piece to the bumper cover.
5. Slide a butter knife into the gap between the bumper and chrome piece to release each of the 4 tabs that secure the chrome piece to the bumper, and pull toward the rear a little.
6. When all 4 tabs are released, the chrome piece will come out in your hand toward the rear.

The damage to the chrome piece on my car was caused by backing up to a pretty high curb, and not noticing it until the curb had gotten all the way under the chrome piece to the forward tips. When I tried to pull away from the curb, the forward tips grabbed onto the curb top and RRRip!

SUGGESTION:If you find yourself having contacted a curb (or other object) with the front or rear of your Tesla, RAISE THE CAR SUSPENSION before attempting to drive off.
Eric

This happened to me too but mine is not chrome it is black plastic. VIN P072xx got car late March 2013. What are your VIN's/ delivery dates? This happened when I parked at a restaurant, no noise when I backed in. When I drove away I heard a scraping sound and later discovered the broken piece. Shortly before getting SW Release 6 I noticed the car lower itself shortly after exiting the car. I believe that is what happened at the restaurant parking lot. I will see if I can get the part in plastic and put it on myself.

(LMB spouse)

We also broke off the right side of the black plastic rear diffuser. Probably on my mother's rutted dirt driveway, as we didn't notice it until Jason at SeaJay Detailing pointed it out when the car was in for Opticoat Pro.

Anyway, cost us about $590 to repair. Matt at Watertown Service Center said they have to remove the bumper to replace it, hence a few hours labor involved.

So this is held on with 2 bolts and some plastic snaps? From the photos it looks like it's held in the bolts that go parallel to the ground as well. Is that not correct?

Never mind, too stressed out to read all instructions. Avoided the trick-or-treater kids but hit a ditch instead. Gonna cry while I think about what I did.

What are the plastic/rubber flaps leading up to the diffuser called..? Anyone have to order them? Replace them?

I have a friend with a lift I hope to borrow. I can drive on / off it.

I have nimble hands.... I fix jet ski engines. :)