Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

ABB deploys over 200 Fast Chargers in The Netherlands

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

widodh

Model S 100D and Y LR
Jan 23, 2011
Venlo, NL
I just found this article on a dutch website: ABB bouwt s werelds grootste snellaadnetwerk in Nederland - Groen7

The link to the official press announcement: ABB to build world’s largest nationwide network of EV fast-charging stations in the Netherlands

ABB wins contract for nationwide electric vehicle fast-charging infrastructure in the Netherlands bringing a charging station within 50 kilometers of all 16.7 million inhabitants
Zurich, Switzerland, July 8, 2013 – ABB, the leading power and automation technology group, announced today that it has been selected by Fastned to supply chargers to more than 200 electric vehicle fast-charging stations in the Netherlands, bringing an EV fast charger within 50 kilometers of all of the country’s 16.7 million inhabitants.

The chargers they will be using will be a ABB Terra 53 which supports CHAdeMO, CCS (Combo plug) and 3-phase 43kW AC.

Yes, 120kW SuperChargers from Tesla are more awesome, but I'm very happy with 50kW charging as well!

A map of all the planned locations:

map-netherlands-with-charger-1500px_610x568.jpg

Was emailed the announcement by ABB this morning. This is very cool - and exactly what other countries need to be rolling out.
I really hope this all comes through!

Very nice!
This changes everything.. If it is allowed, I'd rather have an adapter from CCS to Tesla then CHAdeMO to Tesla.
Signalling should be compatible, as both use a Pilot signal, instead of the CAN bus the CHAdeMO standard uses.
+1

I think CCS -> Tesla would be better indeed.

Looks like the station will be connected to 3x63A AC. If ABB follows the Typ2 standards for DC charging, the simple Typ2 can do up to 70kW DC. If ABB allows DC charging with the Typ2 the Tesla Model S can be charged with 43kW DC or 22kW AC (with twincharger only) over the same socket/plug. Hope if not already done, they will add this feature later.

best

eberhard

Looks like the station will be connected to 3x63A AC. If ABB follows the Typ2 standards for DC charging, the simple Typ2 can do up to 70kW DC. If ABB allows DC charging with the Typ2 the Tesla Model S can be charged with 43kW DC or 22kW AC (with twincharger only) over the same socket/plug. Hope if not already done, they will add this feature later.

best

eberhard
Where did you get the 3x63A info from?

The specsheet of the Terra 53 says this:
Input power limiting software avoids expensive grid upgrades

So you could be right, but I'm just wondering where you get that info from.

First Estonia, now the Netherlands, hopefully other countries will also install comprehensive DC fast charging networks. It is great to see that both connection standards will be supported as well. Model S owners should be able to use an inexpensive plug adaptor for the thpe 2 combo plug, instead of needing a CHAdeMo protocol converter. The US Pacific Northwest has pretty good coverage, but I do hope this comes to the US Midwest area soon.

Here is another article from the US electrical engineering society:

Netherlands Builds Nationwide EV Fast-Charging Network - IEEE Spectrum

GSP

PS. I am also glad to see 43kW AC supported as well, and congratulate the people of the Netherlands for having the vision to implement this network.