Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

60 Seconds from towed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

scaesare

Mar 14, 2013
NoVA
In Richmond VA for a convention. Went to eat last night at a Chipotle in the downtown area. The small parking lot it shares with another business is packed, and parking on the streets is difficult enough as it is, much less when there's construction as there is currently.

The bookstore across the street was not only closed (as it was a Sunday evening after 6PM), but there were 3 other parked cars not to monition somebody who looked like they were doing a brake job on an old truck at the far end of the mostly-empty 25+ space lot. I parked at a space ot one end.

After about 30 minutes inside the restaurant, I went for a drink refill and saw somebody crouching at the rear of my Model S doing something with the tire. My first thought was trying to steal rims or valve stem caps. I ran outside to see that the sign at the edge of the lot had obscured the fact a tow truck actually had the bar and clamps under my front tires, and the other guy was setting dollies for the rear. They were hustling to get it out of there quickly.

I FLEW across the street. The guy looked at me and said simply "Thirty bucks to drop it right here", pointing at a badly bent sign on the other side of the lot halfway down. I said "Are you kidding me, that lot is full, you can't find a place on the street, and this store isn't even open!". His response: "I hear you, I just fulfill what we are contracted to do."

I gave him the $30 after calling my wife in the restaurant to hit the ATM next door... as I wasn't walking away from the car, even though he said I could as he "needed a couple of minutes to write out a receipt".

I examined the car as he disconnected as he left and fortunately no damage, but I can only imagine what a "regular" frontend tow would have done to the rear of the car with the beat-up driveways and streets in Richmond. I believe I was only 60-90 seconds away from having been towed.

So, I accept responsibility for not having sought out the sign to determine what it said. But they are also clearly cherry-picking expensive cars during times that are ridiculous. Lesson learned...

I parked at UW yesterday and the lot said no permit needed on Sunday's, found a spot in the shade and walked off. Then thought, hey, why were all the other cars parking in the sun. I came back and noticed that the shady spots had double white line boxing them in and all the way at the entrance said "Paid spots". Might have been safe but I moved it anyway. It would suck to be towed for several reasons.

Another concern is the warranty could be voided by being towed. I am hopeful that Tesla won't void warranties for vehicles being towed without the owners's consent.

I rented a car recently in Bartlesville, OK. I stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn for 2 nights. I didn't get the car until the afternoon following check-in. Nobody informed me that I needed a parking placard. On the third day of my stay the car got towed because it didn't have a parking placard. I immediately thought about some joker towing my Tesla and damaging it. I also remembered that Tesla can void the warranty if it is towed.

I ran outside to see that the sign at the edge of the lot had obscured the fact a tow truck actually had the bar and clamps under my front tires, and the other guy was setting dollies for the rear. They were hustling to get it out of there quickly.

If you ever street park in Toronto, be warned that within minutes of the parking deadline (no street parking during AM and PM rush hours on many streets), you'll be towed like this. Towing guys are lined up on side streets waiting to fly out and dolly tow cars to the impound lot. I think they get paid per vehicle towed, so they're not being particularly careful. As one who used to have to navigate Toronto streets amongst illegally parked cars, I used to cheer these towing guys on.

If you ever street park in Toronto, be warned that within minutes of the parking deadline (no street parking during AM and PM rush hours on many streets), you'll be towed like this. Towing guys are lined up on side streets waiting to fly out and dolly tow cars to the impound lot. I think they get paid per vehicle towed, so they're not being particularly careful. As one who used to have to navigate Toronto streets amongst illegally parked cars, I used to cheer these towing guys on.

that was a problem reported here in Hawaii a few years back. the tow operators were paid per vehicle towed. they used to tow them off the street to a small lot (that they had just cleared of other illegally parked cars), drop the car in that lot and tow the next one off the street to the small lot, instead of bringing the cars back to their impound lot like they were supposed to. it would cut the time required to tow a car down to single digit minutes. the owners would come back looking for their cars and not find them where they parked. When the owner went down to the tow operators tow yard the cars weren't there either, because they hadn't caught up with the backlog in the small lot they were using (illegally). People would be stuck waiting for hours at the yard to get their car back. The tow operator eventually lost their contract with the city.

I heard from a friend that there is one other option you have in this case. Someone please correct me if this is wrong.

I believe it is illegal for a tow truck driver to tow a car that has a person in it. This is for safety reasons. I've heard that one option people have if they see their car about to be towed is to just get in the car, roll up the windows and wait. Since they can't legally tow the car, it's usually more worth their time to just move on to another car.

I've heard that one option people have if they see their car about to be towed is to just get in the car, roll up the windows and wait. Since they can't legally tow the car, it's usually more worth their time to just move on to another car.

I assume you mean if it's already on the hook. If you're in the car and parked illegally, don't be a dick and just move it! In Toronto, there are usually cops around during the initial sweep, so it's likely the driver would just call for an officer and you'd be in worse trouble.

EDIT: Sorry, didn't mean that JRod0802 is a dick (obviously). I am referring in general terms to those who intentionally park illegally blocking traffic.

It's a shame we can't let our cities' dept of transpo know that certain cars can be damaged by towing - (is this a uniquely Tesla problem?) Then they could just fine the offender a little higher of a ticket instead of towing them (rarely are towing situations due to safety concerns, at least in my town - usually a street-sweeping situation.).

Once had a cop knock on our door and let us know our Toyota was about to be towed, he had just looked up our address by running the plates and was a couple blocks away. Would be nice if there was an easy way to notifiy drivers their car is about to be towed. Most ppl will even jump out of bed and run to where it is to prevent it.

Would you be? What would the cop do? (this is an actual question that I don't know the answer to)

The specific scenario I'm referring to is street parking during the No Standing/Stopping/Parking window at rush hours. The cop would likely order the owner to stand aside while the car is moved. I've heard that owners can sometimes recover their car before it's towed, but are still dinged with the towing and impound fees on top of the parking ticket. As someone who for years had to commute in Toronto, there is nothing that snarls and backs up traffic worse than idiots who've left their cars on the street beyond the time limit. Even if there's only one or two, it effectively turns a jam packed two lane route into a one lane one. Seeing how these towing companies haul these offenders out, I would never risk it myself.

I couldn't decide on just one.

1. This is why I never park my car anywhere but at a supercharger.
2. This is why I keep parking cones in my car and crime scene police tape.
3. This is why I keep a few cardboard signs in my car that I display when parking: "This vehicle is a prototype which may explode or electrocute when towed via conventional means. Please contact me at xxx-xxx-xxxx if the vehicle needs to be moved."

Right after 9/11, the Boston Logan Airport and Boston PD decided to empty the short-term parking lot adjacent to the terminals.. Hundreds, if not thousands of cars had to be towed/moved to a lot a few miles away. They took no time or care to tow all these cars, and most all of them (including a friend's BMW) was damaged. I think she was able to file a claim, but I'm not sure if it ever paid out.

In my experience, tow truck drivers are either miracle workers who can lift and tow any vehicle without damage, or kids that barely know how to operate the equipment, often leading to damage. Nothing in between.

So can the Model S actually be towed if two mode is not engaged? I understand that it can be flat bedded in this situation, but towing? I don't think so. Can someone prove me wrong?
I have a hard time understanding how a wheel lift truck, operated by a skilled driver (to HankLloydRight's point) would damage a Model S any more than another car. If absolutely necessary (say, backed into a space with cars parked on either side), they'd lift from the front and put dollies under the rears (since the parking brake would be on). No different than an RWD ICE with the transmission in Park.

Some Model S owners are going to be jerks who park illegally and get/deserve to be towed (like any other car). I have a hard time believing Tesla wouldn't design the car to accommodate this (at least to the degree that any other car does).

Last edited by a moderator:
I was at a Service Center last week and there was a bunch of tow trucks there. I asked what was going on since I never saw a tow truck that the SC before. It turns out that the Service Center is training the local towing companies on how to properly tow a Model S.

I'm the OP... as I mentioned at the outset, they were going to put dollies under the rear tires...

I cringe to think what that was going to be like as they dragged my S in low-mode down the driveway and back up on to the street and around the beat up part cobblestone streets in Richmond.