Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rock hit windshield -> Large chip/small crack -> Long crack

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The dust storm we had last week must have left a large pebble on the highway here. Got hit in the lower part of windshield on driver side. It left a large chip and about a 3 inch crack. Over the next couple days, that crack lengthened to over 18 inches. Just filed my claim with my insurance. I'd assume this can be replaced fairly easily by most glass places that handle windshield replacements. But, being its such a new vehicle, I'm not completely sure.

Anyone else have to replace their windshield due to chip (not the earlier issues of faulty windshields replaced at Tesla service centers)? I can choose any place to get it done supposedly. Can Tesla handle it, wondering what would they charge and if insurance would cover it?

Yes, it can only be purchased from Tesla and costs over $900. With install costs, its over $1200. For those in the PHx area, Blue Chip Glass is the company that Tesla has do all their warranty replacements (and apparently there were a few). They've done windshields for over 6 MS'.

Mine will be covered by my insurance but through comprehensive with my deductible. When I switched carriers for the MS, apparently I missed signing up for glass. (Damn gecko online system) not sure of they would have covered it fully if I had the glass waiver. Though I cant imagine Why they wouldn't have. Not my fault the glass is so expensive!

I did her that the windshield was redesigned at some point due to the common cracks. Not sure if mine was prior to or after the redesign. Tesla here in PHX has them in stock.

I was one of the early ones who had the stress fracture, but Tesla interviewed and qualified an independent shop on Vancouver Island for me, so I did not have to spend a whole day and $200 in ferry fares to get the job done. The independent shop did a great job, provided us a loaner (ICE; ugh!), and got work done in less than one day.

Since then, we took a hard hit from a stone from the back of a truck on I-90. The impact was so loud that I jumped! Thankfully it only left a small scratch and no crack has developed. I guess in some places at least, that windshield is pretty strong!

I have plastic coating on my windshield very similar to xpel like most of us have. On the body of our cars I have it on my windshield. It was fairly inexlensive to have put on and it's saved me several times. I've had several rocks hit and not even a scratch has occurred. Just some hot water after the trip and the plastic was restored.

Wondering if anyone has noticed problems with the windshield cracking easily from rock chips. Within weeks of delivery, I got a rock chip on the driver's side. The rock hit pretty hard, so I wasn't surprised that I got a chip. I had it repaired by one of the local places that just fill in the crack. It was cheap and looks fairly decent. Barely noticeable. Now, in the last week, I was hit by a very small pebble on the passenger side. It was so small that it barely made much of a sound (i.e., it didn't hit very hard), yet I got another crack in the windshield in a totally different area. In all my years driving, I have had plenty of rocks that have hit windshields and have never had this much trouble. Maybe it's just coincidence but with the last rock being so small and still causing a crack, I am starting to wonder if the windshield glass is particularly susceptible to chipping or if there may be a defect in some of the windshields that came off the line for the early P85Ds? Anyone else noticing a tendency to easily crack with rock chips?

There's nothing new about early P85D windshields. They're the same as other autopilot cars before them. I'm approaching 50,000 Model S miles and have never had a rock crack my windshield. I have a few very small nicks, but that's it. Part of this could be the slope of the windshield, and part of it could be aerodynamics--but I don't notice a significant difference between the S and other cars. (I put almost 100k miles on a Saturn SL1 with similar chipping frequency).

Chalk it up to bad luck?

I had a chip that I didn't notice (it was in the black area at the very edge of the windshield). It eventually propagated a crack across half the glass. State Farm covered the entire cost, recommended Safelite as one of their approved vendors. Apparently there are already four different windshield variants, so I gave the Tesla parts guy my VIN number to get the correct part number to order.

It took Safelite over a week to get the glass from Tesla. Apparently Tesla doesn't work with P.O.s like their other suppliers, so Safelite had to run a check to them. Their senior installer had done four Teslas already, knew how to drive the car. They have worked out an arrangement with the E470 people here in Denver to emplace another toll transponder on the new glass and give you a nice brochure with the new transponder number and the phone number to call E470 so they can update your account. Very nice idea.

Embarrassing moment: I had been experimenting with the new valet mode, left it on when it went in for service. I got a puzzled call from the installer: he couldn't figure out how to open the front trunk (necessary to get access to the bottom part of the glass). I had to coach him through entering the secret code to turn off valet mode.

I have no idea how much the glass cost, I never saw that number on a bill or anything.

I had a chip that I didn't notice (it was in the black area at the very edge of the windshield). It eventually propagated a crack across half the glass. State Farm covered the entire cost, recommended Safelite as one of their approved vendors. Apparently there are already four different windshield variants, so I gave the Tesla parts guy my VIN number to get the correct part number to order.

It took Safelite over a week to get the glass from Tesla. Apparently Tesla doesn't work with P.O.s like their other suppliers, so Safelite had to run a check to them. Their senior installer had done four Teslas already, knew how to drive the car. They have worked out an arrangement with the E470 people here in Denver to emplace another toll transponder on the new glass and give you a nice brochure with the new transponder number and the phone number to call E470 so they can update your account. Very nice idea.

Embarrassing moment: I had been experimenting with the new valet mode, left it on when it went in for service. I got a puzzled call from the installer: he couldn't figure out how to open the front trunk (necessary to get access to the bottom part of the glass). I had to coach him through entering the secret code to turn off valet mode.

I have no idea how much the glass cost, I never saw that number on a bill or anything.

I chipped my windshield on the way home a few days ago, called tesla quote was 1300 for a car with autopilot. I had it filled but man that is expensive for a windsheild.

I chipped my windshield on the way home a few days ago, called tesla quote was 1300 for a car with autopilot. I had it filled but man that is expensive for a windsheild.
I was talking to a Lambo Aventador owner on the weekend. He noticed my crack and asked the cost to replace the glass. I told him around $1000 (I haven't got pricing myself, just going by what is being reported here). He laughed and said that is pretty good. He inquired about his glass.... $12000!!! He said he hoped he could find it somewhat cheaper if he actually needed it. My BMW's were also in the $1000 range, although 3rd party glass was available that dropped that cost significantly.

Guess I'm going to find out how much a replacement windshield is myself. Got hit with a rock. Within a couple hours it looked like this (as taken while sitting at the Centralia, WA SuperCharger).

IMG_20150703_144707.jpg

It's across about 25% of the windshield now.

Guess I'm going to find out how much a replacement windshield is myself. Got hit with a rock. Within a couple hours it looked like this (as taken while sitting at the Centralia, WA SuperCharger).

It's across about 25% of the windshield now.
Ouch!
Well, the rest of us will benefit from you letting us know the replacement procedure for WA area.

Someone posted that the latest cars have an area on the windshield to allow readings from toll transponders. I wonder one of those can be fitted if you need a windshield anyway? I'd be more interested in seeing if the spot is large enough to allow a Valentine One to function.

Spoke with Tesla service. I have an appointment for July 27th to get this (and other things done). They sub contract the glass work out to someone else. Tesla does not bill insurance companies so I'm on the hook to pay the whole thing and then make a claim to my insurance company. As far as cost:

The parts cost is $624 (mono camera no heat windshield glass) and labor is $350, which is at about *$974 before tax.

The above is an exact quote. Note sure what the asterisk is about. Though I find the "mono camera" comment to be interesting. Are newer cars already coming with stereo cameras or did they just mention mono camera on the existing part list under the assumption they'll be doing stereo cameras in the future. Or maybe the stereo cameras is imminent. Hmmm.

Spoke with Tesla service. I have an appointment for July 27th to get this (and other things done). They sub contract the glass work out to someone else. Tesla does not bill insurance companies so I'm on the hook to pay the whole thing and then make a claim to my insurance company. As far as cost:

I had mine chip all the way across in the 2nd week of ownership. Price of the glass seems right in line with mine. They sell to the sub. Sub adds the cost of labor and give you one bill.

Labor seems double. I called my insurance who dealt with it. Not realizing insurance was already on the claim, I too called the sub-contractor. The price they quoted me was ~300, and for the insurance company they quoted ~150. Sorry - didn't keep the receipts to be more precise. I'd call your agent and have them deal with it.

The sub cam to the service center and did the work in their driveway.