Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Canadian Train crash ...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The train could have been carrying chlorine to make drinking water safe. The outcome would have also been devastating. The issue is that the train was unattended.

Goods will find a way to get to market. If crude oil pipelines are not created, crude oil will get to market via rail (aka mobile pipelines). Is that the safest and most environmentally friendly transport method?

Usually the problem is not pipelines, nuclear plants, etc. per se but that they are let to carry on after their design life has ended (often because of political pressure against building new ones). If something has a designed life of, say, 35 years, then it should be retired at 35 years--not stretched out to 40 or 45.

The cause of the accident is a bit complex. The train had been parked for the night, on an incline. One of the five locomotives was left running to keep the air brakes powered, but it developed a small fire. The firemen powered down the locomotive when the put out the fire. At this point there is some finger-pointing; the train company blamed the firemen but the firemen said the company told them it was okay to leave.

The train should still have had manual brakes set every few cars. This isn't confirmed, but it's really sounding like the (lone) engineer may not have bothered setting them. If that's the case, he's probably going to jail...

Currently 20 confirmed dead, 50 unaccounted for - almost certainly all dead. Many victims may never be found. 40 buildings were destroyed, including the main downtown business area and many homes.

Truly unbelievable.

The train should still have had manual brakes set every few cars. This isn't confirmed, but it's really sounding like the (lone) engineer may not have bothered setting them. If that's the case, he's probably going to jail...
The early reports I read have the train company saying the manual brakes would not have been enough to stop the train from rolling and basically set the blame on the firemen. I guess they changed their story.

The early reports I read have the train company saying the manual brakes would not have been enough to stop the train from rolling and basically set the blame on the firemen. I guess they changed their story.

The news is saying that the engineer claimed he had set 11 brakes, and that this would have been enough to prevent a runaway. The company is saying that they don't believe him, and that the police have him...