Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Transporting sheet goods

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I need to transport some wood and it's nice to know the dimensions I can carry in the Model S. I have some large projects coming up around the home including kitchen cabinets, a bench seat, and a storage bed. I took rough measurements and figured I could carry 6'x3' (sorry metric folk) sheets. So I verified it by getting a 1/4" 4x8 plywood I needed for a repair project and had the store cut it down to size with two cuts. Ripping 1' off the length and 2' off the width to make 4 pieces with the two free cuts the store offers.

Here are the pictures. The large 6'x3' sheet fit with ease. I originally thought the center console would get in the way which is why I figured 6' max but I could have had another 6" to the length because the rear seats don't fold perfectly flat and make the sheet incline over the center console by a couple of inches. There was also clearance for another 1" to the width between the tire wells. I'm 6'1", all leg and I didn't need to move the seat up any. The last picture from the side I butted the sheet up to the rear seat where I normally drive and you can see the clearance over the center console.

I'll probably make a ramp out of the leftover sections to make loading the heavier 3/4" sheets easier.

sheet goods in tesla-back (Medium).jpg
sheet goods in tesla-front (Medium).jpg
sheet goods in tesla-side (Medium).jpg
sheet goods in tesla-clearance (Medium).jpg

Last edited: