Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

$5000 install for 100 amp service.....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just got quoted a $5000 for getting a 100amp service to the garage. It includes:

--Replace current fuse box in basement (builder special to something nicer with more spots for more breakers)
--conduit from 'in' line to run through the basement into the garage
--install fusebox for dedicated power in garage
--install about 35' of conduit snaked around the garage walls and ceiling (to get HPWC installed in opposite corner from fusebox)
--install and mount HPWC

I got word earlier this week that my car was available for pickup on Saturday (tomorrow) rather than the original anticipated date of July 16th. So, of course, I haven't made arrangements of getting an electrician over to quote me and install the HPWC). With me being in Mexico during the majority of the week (every week for the last 4 weeks), I haven't had time to get ready and with delivery date changed, I'm in reactive mode rather than proactive.

Unfortunately, the electrician couldn't do it today and his next open dates (yes, he needs two days) are the 15th and 16th. So we'll be getting the car to sit on it for a whole week where it'll drain from the vampire drain before we can charge and use it.

In anycase, anyone have any opinions on price? I'd rather find out that this quote is too much and I should check with other electricians to pay less. Opinions please!

Sounds like they are doing a lot of work but never hurts to get a second quote. Do you have a 110V outlet to keep it plugged in while you are away and until you get all this sorted out? If so, you'll be fine.

yes I do. From reading what others have paid, I was expecting $2500 or less, but good lord...$5000!!!!

Good thing is, is the Alliant loan agent put in another $5000 to my loan to spread the cost of the install over 72 months.

The real cost you are incurring is the new 100A service. That normally runs in the multi-thousand range. I was told to expect $2-4k for a new 100A service by my power company.

But certainly get a second quot. $5000 seems like an awfully round number.

Or get yourself a quote for a 50A 14-50 outlet that you can pull 40A from. I'd be surprised if that quote gets over $2k. If you charge at night you're unlikely to ever need anything faster. I save my twin charger for when I find a fast charger in the wild.

Or get yourself a quote for a 50A 14-50 outlet that you can pull 40A from. I'd be surprised if that quote gets over $2k. If you charge at night you're unlikely to ever need anything faster. I save my twin charger for when I find a fast charger in the wild.

I agree.

Lunder94: Do you really need a HPWC? If you can return or sell that and the NEMA 14-50 install Transl8r suggested is a few thousand dollars cheaper you are talking about maybe a $4,000 difference.

I spent $219 to have a 50 amp NEMA 14-50 outlet installed in my garage. I live in a 1980's house with an old panel.

Any driver would be fine with a 30 amp or 50 amp outlet at home. Nobody really needs 80 amps HPWC at home.
How many times are you likely to arrive at home with an empty battery after 250-300 miles of driving, then immediately want to leave again? It really is not a likely scenario.

Let's be honest. Overnight a 30 amp circuit will recharge you to full unless you are pulling in dead empty.
30 amps would probably be enough. I am 100% positive that 50 amps would be enough at home.

If your panel can handle installing a 30 amp or 50 amp outlet for now, try that for a few weeks. It will only cost you $200-$300.

If you decide in the future that you really need to have 80 amps, you can always upgrade the panel later.

I don't really need the HPWC...however, I do plan to sign on to get the Model X if the Model S is everything we expect it to be. The other reason I got the HPWC is because of the 'cool' factor for the garage. I know, overkill, but didn't expect a $5k price to come with all that's needed.

I will also offer up my HPWC to any Tesla owner that needs a hand if they are out and about and need access to a quick charge out in the far NW burbs of Chicago. I'm calling around to see what other quotes I can get before the 15th, even if it's to save $1000.

How often are you going to drive 200 miles go home,recharge, and drive off again? If you are charging from a fifty amp at night you don't need to charge fast, period.

I don't really need the HPWC...however, I do plan to sign on to get the Model X if the Model S is everything we expect it to be. The other reason I got the HPWC is because of the 'cool' factor for the garage. I know, overkill, but didn't expect a $5k price to come with all that's needed.

Based on that info, I would install a NEMA 14-50 (50 amps) or NEMA 14-30 (30 amps) if you panel can handle one of those without the full upgrade.
Try it out for a few weeks to see if that works for you. You can upgrade later if you really need it.

I agree with the other comment also. If you are getting a Model X in a few years, you will want a 2nd NEMA outlet. You won't want to use the same HPWC for both cars. Save yourself the money and just use the mobile connector that comes with the car. It is perfect for home use.

A 100 amp service is very expensive. You may even need a new drop from the transformer to the house and possibly a new breaker box. The wire gauge required for 100 amps will be exponentially higher than for a 40 amp service. Although $5000 sounds like a round number, it probably is in the ball park.

I spent the money on a second meter to add the HPWC as SCE rates are horrible for the amount of electric we use and I had them wire it now for a 2nd HPWC (cost $4.4k in total not counting the HPWC itself). I would "probably" do it again today, but there have only been 2 times in the life of owning the car (8k miles on it since February) where I had to come home and charge the car quickly before leaving again. Except for those 2 times the 14-50 would have been fine. Perhaps, in the fall during Lakers season that might happen more often.