Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

?Fake: New NHSTA Compliant filed 07/01/2013

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
*note* this is not me, lol. I was just looking to see if there had been any technical service bulletins yet to fix the steering wheel column click but I noticed that there was a new NHSTA safetey complaint filed yesterday.

Date Complaint Filed: 07/04/2013

Date of Incident:
07/01/2013

NHTSA ID Number:

SUMMARY:
I TOOK DELIVERY OF MY MODEL S ON MONDAY, JULY 1, 2013. I TOOK THE CAR FOR A FAST DRIVE AND I SMELLED SOMETHING BURNING. IT WAS COMING THROUGH THE VENTS. THE SMELL MADE ME DIZZY ALONG WITH MY FAMILY MEMBERS TO A POINT WHERE WE HAD TO STOP AND GET OUT OF THE CAR FOR AIR AND WALK IT OFF. WHY HASN'T THE GOVERNMENT ISSUED A RECALL ON THE TESLA MODEL S. I CALLED TESLA, I WAS TOLD, DO NOT WORRY ABOUT IT, THE SMELL WILL EVENTUALLY GO AWAY. THIS IS B.S. I PAID OVER $100,000 FOR A CAR THAT I CANNOT DRIVE FOR 2 TO 3 WEEKS BECAUSE OF A BURNING SMELL THAT MAKES EVERYONE IN MY CAR DIZZY AND ALL TESLA DOES IS SAY, OPEN YOUR WINDOWS? GO CHECK THE TESLA FORUM, EVERYONE IS COMPLAINING ABOUT THE SMELL BUT TESLA WILL DO NOTHING ABOUT IT. HTTP://WWW-ORIGIN.TESLAMOTORS.COM/DE_AT/FORUM/FORUMS/BURN-SMELL-NEW-TESLA-S-WHEN-HEAT I WILL NOT GIVE MY REAL CONTACT INFORMATION BECAUSE I AM AFRAID OF TESLA AND THE CEO COMING AFTER ME FOR REPORTING THE COMPANY. THIS IS A DANGEROUS PROBLEM AND UNHEALTHY.

I don't recall ever having a burning smell when I first got mine. That doesn't sound right about Tesla responding with "it's normal it'll go away". I'd say Tesla still has a lot of work to do to make their service "the best service program in the world" per Elon's wishes. I hope this guy gets this problem resolved. Bad first impression :( Even if it is "normal", a better customer service response would have been like "We're pretty sure that's [xxxxx] component breaking in and that the smell will subside in a few days, but if you are still concerned why don't you bring it in and we'll take a look to make sure everything looks ok and we'll set you up with a loaner if needed etc etc". THAT's a proper service response. not "go away". lol

I guess others had something similar from the link he posted: http://www.teslamotors.com/FORUM/FORUMS/BURN-SMELL-NEW-TESLA-S-WHEN-HEAT and http://www.teslamotors.com/forum/forums/something-smells-burning-wire

- - - Updated - - -

eh the title is wrong, it was filed yesterday and the date of incident was 07/01. mods feel free to fix.

Ouch. I did not have this issue. Hopefully tesla addresses this concern, though I wish the original poster would at least provide their contact info - helps alleviate the question as to whether they are a troll (or a short who is pissed :p)

It's the same smell any electric heater has. Turn on your heater and I'd bet you have it too. So yes I can see Tesla service telling him it is normal and will go away, because it is and it will. Besides we don't really know what Tesla actually told this person, just what he interpenetrated it as. Tesla could have told him exactly what you wrote but that wasn't what this person wanted to hear.

*note* this is not me, lol. I was just looking to see if there had been any technical service bulletins yet to fix the steering wheel column click but I noticed that there was a new NHSTA safetey complaint filed yesterday.

I don't recall ever having a burning smell when I first got mine. That doesn't sound right about Tesla responding with "it's normal it'll go away". I'd say Tesla still has a lot of work to do to make their service "the best service program in the world" per Elon's wishes. I hope this guy gets this problem resolved. Bad first impression :( Even if it is "normal", a better customer service response would have been like "We're pretty sure that's [xxxxx] component breaking in and that the smell will subside in a few days, but if you are still concerned why don't you bring it in and we'll take a look to make sure everything looks ok and we'll set you up with a loaner if needed etc etc". THAT's a proper service response. not "go away". lol

I guess others had something similar from the link he posted: http://www.teslamotors.com/FORUM/FORUMS/BURN-SMELL-NEW-TESLA-S-WHEN-HEAT and http://www.teslamotors.com/forum/forums/something-smells-burning-wire

- - - Updated - - -

eh the title is wrong, it was filed yesterday and the date of incident was 07/01. mods feel free to fix.

I found this too funny so I couldn't resist. I think I found his problem and I think this component is the cause and have reason to believe it fried completely:

engine.png

I mean, I would think a Tesla owner would know right?

I vote that this is a pissed shortie troll. :)

"Afraid of Tesla and the CEO coming after me"??? Gimme a break. Elon is the new Godfather...

Exactly, he did not put in his VIN information and other stuff. I mean he took his delivery July 1st and called in Tesla support for a burning issue within 3 days. If he was real, I am pretty sure Musk could easily cross reference that data in the database and narrow it don to 1 person pretty quickly if he wanted to.

I think I know what the problem is.
His CAPS LOCK key is stuck !
Or it must be a faulty component between steering wheel and chair...

I never understood why people have to react like this while filing a complaint. It's not like Tesla does do this on purpose or something.

It's the same smell any electric heater has. Turn on your heater and I'd bet you have it too. So yes I can see Tesla service telling him it is normal and will go away, because it is and it will. Besides we don't really know what Tesla actually told this person, just what he interpenetrated it as. Tesla could have told him exactly what you wrote but that wasn't what this person wanted to hear.
Who's running the heater in July? I've not ever smelled anything but new car smell in mine...

Actually, there are previous posts of this smell happening. It is as said above the smell of an electric heater being used for the first time. It lasts about 10 seconds, lingering maybe for a minute, then gone for good. What a joke of a complaint.

Who's running the heater in July? I've not ever smelled anything but new car smell in mine...

I've had the heater kick on once or twice when messing with the climate control when going from a low temperature to a higher temperature. I bet if you turned on your heater you would smell it, it's just like electric baseboard or any portable electric heater when you fire it up for the first time.

Actually, there are previous posts of this smell happening. It is as said above the smell of an electric heater being used for the first time. It lasts about 10 seconds, lingering maybe for a minute, then gone for good. What a joke of a complaint.

My Roadster does this every winter the first time I turn on the heater. It's just burning off accumulated dust sitting on the element. Same thing happens with all kinds of heaters; in fact my gas fireplace does this as well.

That said, the report does not look the slightest bit credible... not to mention completely paranoid.

For some reason this makes me want to enter a complaint for every ICE car on the road, complaining of deafening noise, vibration and toxic fumes emanating from the rear of the vehicle... It would be time consuming, but not would it be fun!

Maybe a We The People petition to make ICEs illegal, as they are incendiary devices?

Last edited:
I don't think the NHSTA will take this complaint seriously, no contact into and no VIN? The shorts are getting really desperate and there seems to be no limit to what they'll try to do, to tank the stock. Anyone who had a real issue would just bring in the car to their local service center, not write a complaint immediately. If he's truly real and unhappy, I'm sure Elon would refund his money, if he asked.