Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First Model S Sighting in Kona, Hawaii!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My family and I are fortunate to have a second home on the Big Island of Hawaii. Although I've seen a few Leafs around town, and the County bought 5 Volts for civic use, I've never seen a Model S here on the island...until yesterday:

Kona Model S - YouTube

How cool is this??? More and more people are putting solar on their roofs, and EV's are becoming more prevalent. There is a saying here in the islands, "Malama 'Aina" - Protect the land. We are making more and more progress everyday.

Aloha,

-Lenn

My family and I are fortunate to have a second home on the Big Island of Hawaii. Although I've seen a few Leafs around town, and the County bought 5 Volts for civic use, I've never seen a Model S here on the island...until yesterday:

Kona Model S - YouTube

How cool is this??? More and more people are putting solar on their roofs, and EV's are becoming more prevalent. There is a saying here in the islands, "Malama 'Aina" - Protect the land. We are making more and more progress everyday.

Aloha,

-Lenn

Might be Hawaii forum member jeffdhood in Kailua-Kona. His wife drives a white one :)

I just got back from a 2 week vacation in Maui and I thought it was great the Island's EV initiative. We stayed in a few hotels and I saw chargers at the hotel but all of them were always empty. But it looks like there is a big push there for EV.

Hotels, office buildings, shopping centers, etc. with over 100 stalls are required to have EV chargers :). Only drawback is that most stalls are small and not built for a full-size Model S!

Hotels, office buildings, shopping centers, etc. with over 100 stalls are required to have EV chargers :). Only drawback is that most stalls are small and not built for a full-size Model S!

Wow! That's awesome about the 100 stall requirement. In the first hotel we stayed at, the EV charger was in the parking lot and it looked to have plenty of room.

Just out of curiosity nanimac, what are the prices to charge? I didn't think to look/ask. Do the hotels provide it free?

Thanks for the great info.

I was in Maui for 12 days a week or so ago as well. The hotel I stayed at had 4 EVSE's. Only once did I see it in use, by a volt. They were ICE'd more than half the time.

The amount of solar PV on the island is impressive. Obviously it's the perfect environment for it.

Wow! That's awesome about the 100 stall requirement. In the first hotel we stayed at, the EV charger was in the parking lot and it looked to have plenty of room.

Just out of curiosity nanimac, what are the prices to charge? I didn't think to look/ask. Do the hotels provide it free?

Thanks for the great info.

Mostly free. Blink charges but they're rare. Some Chargepoints that cost (but most of them are free) and occasional private ones that charge as well.