Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Drivetrain Install Photos

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Bill Arnett had the opportunity to photograph the drivetrain installation on his Roadster and posted his photos for all to enjoy.

Tesla Roadster #55 Drivetrain Installation

He wanted to post them, but the new user registration form seems to be broken, and was also broken last week. Does anyone know what's up with that?

Anyway, he asked me to post the link on his behalf.

My thanks to Bill for sharing his awesome photos, and to Tesla for letting him document the process.

Awesome! These are the kind of pics I was waiting for! Thanks, Tom and Bill.
(Btw, I'll send a message to dsacks6, this sites administrator, about the registration issue.)

_MG_7995.jpg
_MG_8016.jpg
_MG_8032.jpg

So hopefully Bill is able to register now. I'm curious how long that install took. The pictures looks like they might have started mid afternoon or earlier and didn't finish till after dark. I'm also curious what delivery time Tesla gave him now that the drivetrain install is complete.

Must have been really exciting seeing everything come together like that. I'd want to be able to do vehicle verification myself. :biggrin:

Yes... I am curious too in how long an installation ties up a bay and how many bays they have to do installs.

This is all rooted in production rate questions I have: What is the limiting factor with installing drive trains in all the gliders sitting around. Skilled people? Bays? Components? If they had the all the drive trains and gliders they need, how many drive train installs can they handle per week in Menlo Park given their current number of lifts and equipment?

Bill Arnett's pictures have been picked up by AutoBlog Green (with credit to this site and doug as well):
Picture perfect install of a Tesla Roadster drivetrain - AutoblogGreen

One of the good things of having the Tesla Roadster assembled close to at lesat some of its customers is that they can actually go to the factory and see how their car is being made. This is what Bill Arnett did, and he not only had the chance to see his Roadster's drivetrain installed, but also got permission from Tesla to take pictures of the whole process; watch along here. The rest of the car was assembled in the UK and shipped (by air). The photos were taken on Nov. 12th, and we can see how the ESS (battery), the motor and the PEM (Power Electronics Module) are all packaged into the Roadster's sleek package.
tesla_assembly.jpg

At the 100th Roadster event today, Rachael Konrad took some journalists and me to go see the shop where the technicians do the drivetrain installations. Since it's related, I thought I'd post some of the pics I took in this thread. Sadly, I was using a snap camera with nowhere near the image quality of Bill's.

3096781694_50187d38ec.jpg
L-R: A Tesla technician named Andre, Rachael Konrad, and
a Korean journalist.

Andre (whom you may recognize him from Bill's photos) was nice enough to explain the installation process to me and answer my questions.

Motors:
3096777344_1f43080068.jpg
3096778430_b56ff5417e_b.jpg

Last edited:
The battery packs are assembled right down the street in San Carlos, so assume they just reuse them.

I thought the battery packs were assembled in Taiwan. Remember the whole drop-a-battery-pack-to-pass-international-standards-testing-thing?

I guess they dropped that (pun) for just shipping the cells...