Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Service Contracts in Florida

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Basically no because Tesla knows where your car is registered. (If it doesn't show on MyTesla it's not available.) But even if you could, the only time it would do you any good was when you weren't in Florida.

There will need to be some retroactive agreements for longer term FL owners. As others, I was promised that when the plans become available Tesla would back date it to take into account the 12k service I already paid for.

The 12k service might be difference. I was specifically told that they could not promise that I could get the old pricing for the extended plan. Of course they can't even promise that I'll ever be able to buy the plan at all. I'm half way to the end of my warranty, so I'm not sure what I will do.

I bought an extended warranty from a 3rd party for my Lexus, and there were some issues with selling it to me in Florida. It specifically couldn't cover electronics because of some Florida rule. This was a problem, because it was the top-of-the-line LS430, which features quite a bit of electronics. They told me that if I had any address I could use in another state that doesn't have this issue, they would write the policy for that state. The only thing that would ever be mailed there was the initial policy. I used a relative's address and there was never any problem (electronic claims were always covered, for example). Tesla told me that they couldn't do that and that it has to be based on the registration address. I'm not sure if the law has become more strict or if the old company was just doing something illegal. Could easily be the latter, as these extended warranty companies are pretty shady, even though I got more than my money's worth from the one I used.

That sounds very promising.

Being a little optimistic, I just logged into My Tesla to see if any plans were available and no luck.

"Sorry, there are no services available in your region. For more information please contact a service representative at (877) 798-3752 or [email protected]"

NigelM - Hopefully you will have some good new to share with us soon about service contracts.

OK, got a call back today......turned out to be a marketing company trying to sell third party me an extended warranty for my Roadster "...not available from your local Tesla dealerships...". When I pointed out that our phone number is on the do-not-call list and that if this was unsolicited tele-marketing I would report them for a potential $11,000 fine, they hung up.

So, false alarm. Sorry.

I spoke to Luis the service manager in Dania. Florida treats a pre-paid service contract as insurance, and requires the company to post a hefty (i.e., multi-million dollar) bond. That is why TM FL hasn't offered the extended warranty or 4 year contracts yet. They are trying to get an exception. Anyone got any contacts in the state legislature that can help fix this?

Anyone got any news on Service Plans in Florida?

I'm thinking we need a concerted effort to push Tesla on this. Months back I spoke to Ownership when I got my 12.5k service done and they told me that I would be credited back when the service plan became available - I paid full price back then, but the car is now over a year old and at 22,000 miles I'm looking at my second service in the coming months. I guess many of you are also looking at needing an annual service soon also?

In FL we're paying $600 per service and everyone else in the country pays only $475 if they buy the basic plan. :cursing:
On top of that we're paying $100 per Ranger visit without the opportunity to get them included by buying a higher level plan.:cursing:

Note: In my experience the service guys in Tampa and Dania Beach have been exemplary and every Ranger I've ever met has been professional and friendly - I have zero complaints on the actual service.

In FL we're paying $600 per service and everyone else in the country pays only $475 if they buy the basic plan. :cursing:
On top of that we're paying $100 per Ranger visit without the opportunity to get them included by buying a higher level plan.:cursing:
I’m in South Florida and getting close to making a deposit on a P85. Due to the lack of service contracts in Florida, would I be missing out on anything other than the $600 vs $475 per annual service cost and the $100 per Ranger visit?

Am I correct that the 4 year (+8 year battery) warranty is the same as all other states and the use of a loaner with home pick-up and drop-off is the same as in other states? Am I missing anything else?

I’m about 20 minutes from the Dania Beach SC, so even if I had to take the car in for annual service it wouldn't be a major inconvenience. I’m also in a position to take title in another state if it really made sense and it wasn’t a huge hassle (but I suspect it would be).

Also, I’m curious what Florida auto insurance companies Tesla owners have had luck getting the best rates from.

Due to the lack of service contracts in Florida, would I be missing out on anything other than the $600 vs $475 per annual service cost and the $100 per Ranger visit?

No, not missing anything else.

Am I correct that the 4 year (+8 year battery) warranty is the same as all other states and the use of a loaner with home pick-up and drop-off is the same as in other states?

Correct, so long as it's a warranty issue.

I’m about 20 minutes from the Dania Beach SC, so even if I had to take the car in for annual service it wouldn't be a major inconvenience. I’m also in a position to take title in another state if it really made sense and it wasn’t a huge hassle (but I suspect it would be).

AFAIK, that hasn't worked for anyone yet.

Also, I’m curious what Florida auto insurance companies Tesla owners have had luck getting the best rates from.

StateFarm were great for me.

Thanks. I don't see that as a big negative, especially since Tesla has offered to credit back the difference when service plans become available (as you posted earlier).

I'm struggling to decide on pulling the trigger on a deposit and which options make sense. Reading the forums continues to be helpful in assembling my positive/negative list.

I’m in South Florida and getting close to making a deposit on a P85. Due to the lack of service contracts in Florida, would I be missing out on anything other than the $600 vs $475 per annual service cost and the $100 per Ranger visit?

I'm not positive what you're asking here, but just in case, you should know that we also miss out on the ability to purchase the Tesla extended warranty, which is about to become a problem for me. I assume we also miss out on the $12,000 battery insurance. I don't think that's available in any state yet, but based on the reason that the other stuff isn't available to us, I guess it never will be available here.

I'm not positive what you're asking here, but just in case, you should know that we also miss out on the ability to purchase the Tesla extended warranty, which is about to become a problem for me. I assume we also miss out on the $12,000 battery insurance. I don't think that's available in any state yet, but based on the reason that the other stuff isn't available to us, I guess it never will be available here.
I’m just now attempting to decode this, so I may be wrong, but here’s how I understand the bottom of this page - http://www.teslamotors.com/service#/service-plans -

The 4 year “Service Plan” buys 4 years of service but no warranty (because 4 years of warranty is free) but the 8 year “Service Plan” buys 8 years of service plus 4 additional years of warranty. This assumes 50,000/100,000 miles are not exceeded in the 4/8 years, except for the battery which has 8 years of free warranty with unlimited mileage.

The additional 4 year service+warranty extension costs $1,900 if you buy it 30 days after delivery, or $4,000 if you wait until 30 days after your warranty expires (4 years or 50,000 miles whichever comes first).

Florida law won’t let Tesla sell any Service Plans unless they post a big bond. If they settle with Florida in the future and sell Service Plans, they will hopefully waive both 30 day rules and also give rebates for any extra cost of service that was paid (per NigelM).

Do I have this right?

My thinking was that since roadside assistance and towing are free within 50 miles of a SC (which we are), the cost of annual service without the Plan didn’t look like a terrible deal. However I understand your point on the extended warranty component of that additional 4 years.

I suspect that on the date Tesla gets permission to offer Service Plans they will probably give Florida residents 30 days to sign up for the 8 year plan for the additional $1,900. However, it would be comforting to know for sure before I put a deposit down. Even if I thought I might sell the car, this transferable 4 year service+warranty plan may be worth paying $1,900 for because of the warranty component.

I’m just now attempting to decode this, so I may be wrong, but here’s how I understand the bottom of this page - http://www.teslamotors.com/service#/service-plans -

The 4 year “Service Plan” buys 4 years of service but no warranty (because 4 years of warranty is free) but the 8 year “Service Plan” buys 8 years of service plus 4 additional years of warranty. This assumes 50,000/100,000 miles are not exceeded in the 4/8 years, except for the battery which has 8 years of free warranty with unlimited mileage.

The additional 4 year service+warranty extension costs $1,900 if you buy it 30 days after delivery, or $4,000 if you wait until 30 days after your warranty expires (4 years or 50,000 miles whichever comes first).

Florida law won’t let Tesla sell any Service Plans unless they post a big bond. If they settle with Florida in the future and sell Service Plans, they will hopefully waive both 30 day rules and also give rebates for any extra cost of service that was paid (per NigelM).

Do I have this right?

My thinking was that since roadside assistance and towing are free within 50 miles of a SC (which we are), the cost of annual service without the Plan didn’t look like a terrible deal. However I understand your point on the extended warranty component of that additional 4 years.

I suspect that on the date Tesla gets permission to offer Service Plans they will probably give Florida residents 30 days to sign up for the 8 year plan for the additional $1,900. However, it would be comforting to know for sure before I put a deposit down. Even if I thought I might sell the car, this transferable 4 year service+warranty plan may be worth paying $1,900 for because of the warranty component.

I think you've got it right. The one thing that gives me pause is that I gather from the way you write this that you are optimistic that they will reach some sort of agreement with Florida. I'm more pessimistic. Either way, I'm not too far from the end of my initial warranty, so I am fairly certain I will be left without any coverage relatively soon, because there's no way they'll reach an agreement in time.

I had State Farm home and auto insurance before getting my Model S and received a quote from them that was over $200 more per six months than Geico here in Orlando. Naturally, the day I picked up the Model S I had Geico insurance on it.