Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla drifting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think drifting looks like a ton of fun. The Tesla is light, has lots of power, and traction control is easy enough to turn off. Tempting...

But, as noted, there's that weight distribution issue. It seems to me that drifting may be all about having good control at the traction limit, but that's exactly where the Tesla would suddenly swing because of all the weight in the back that shifts out when the limit is reached. Perhaps the Tesla is not at all suited for drifting.

Then again, maybe drifting is more about control after traction is broken (varying the amount, while always small, of traction in the spinning tires)? Maybe that's not so bad--once you get past the break, it's more a matter of go-pedal modulation, and the Tesla seems pretty good at that, especially with regen built in to the pedal. Or is all of that control just through the steering? Has anybody tried drifting in a Tesla? If not, can anybody that's at least tried drifting with another car comment?

What about throttle steering? I couldn't find anything in the manual about disabling regen. I don't think throttle steering would work as well if regen were still on.

Has anybody tried throttle steering in a Tesla? How did it go?

I couldn't find anything in the manual about disabling regen.

I don't think that there's a way to just request regen to go off, but if you charge the battery to full in performance or range mode, the car turns it off until there's sufficient capacity in the battery to hold more charge. (Or have the battery be below freezing, but that's probably not so good for racing.)

It's actually pretty disconcerting to drive without regen once you've gotten used to it.

I really like the regen for driving around town, but on the track I enjoy the ability to adjust the car's balance by throttle steering. I'm not even sure that turning regen off would really give the correct effect. When I've topped off the car or driven it when it's very cold, the lack of regen feels more like coasting in neutral. I'm not sure it could be used to adjust traction on the front tires.