Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I Made a Video Demo of Folding and Unfolding of the Rear Facing Child Seats

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ken830

Model S 85, Model 3 Performance, Model X LongRange
Jun 19, 2012
San Carlos, CA
Before deciding on the seats, we had to see it in person. Some people may not have access to a Model S with the seats, so a video demo is helpful. Tesla recently posted a CG version to illustrate the folding/unfolding, but I think a live video gives buyers a better feel. And since I couldn't find a good one out there, I decided to make my own. Enjoy!

Last edited by a moderator:
@ken830, that's a very professional video! When I was specifying options last year it was hard to find videos of the elusive rear child seats folding. At the time I found this one useful and it convinced me to get them:

Tesla Model S Tour - YouTube
At 0:29 the Tesla guy opens them out of the footwell in one fluid motion and with one hand, and there are ooohs and aaahhs from the onlookers.

Your video is much less shaky...

By the way another feature: if you have the parcel shelf, it will fit in place even with the rear-facing seats deployed. The top of the seats poke out of the gap. In this way you can store stuff in the trunk well or above it and still cover it up from view without needing to fold back the seats. The parcel shelf can be stored in the frunk when someone needs to sit in the seats.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the positive comments everyone... I got a new camera (and lenses, and the Tesla) because of my newborn daughter. I never shot any video before, so I needed to practice with shooting and editing... I've been doing a few Model S videos because it's a stationary object (easy to work with) and there aren't many good videos out there. I have a few others on my Youtube channel and hopefully will do more... I need to come up with more ideas...

By the way another feature: if you have the parcel shelf, it will fit in place even with the rear-facing seats deployed. The top of the seats poke out of the gap. In this way you can store stuff in the trunk well or above it and still cover it up from view without needing to fold back the seats. The parcel shelf can be stored in the frunk when someone needs to sit in the seats.

I tried that, but the the parcel shelf gets bent a little when the hatch closes.

Good video. I don't have the jump seats, and what struck me is that the underside of the cover differs from mine--it looks like yours is thicker...there's another layer on the underside, with a bunch of bumps on it. Mine is just fabric. I couldn't get a good look in the video but it's clearly different from mine.

Does anyone know whether they changed the well cover in general, or if it's just that people with the jump seats get a different type of cover?

- - - Updated - - -

P.S. I wrote "fabric" but more of a thin felt type of underside. Anyway, looks different from what I could see.

Good video. I don't have the jump seats, and what struck me is that the underside of the cover differs from mine--it looks like yours is thicker...there's another layer on the underside, with a bunch of bumps on it. Mine is just fabric. I couldn't get a good look in the video but it's clearly different from mine.

Does anyone know whether they changed the well cover in general, or if it's just that people with the jump seats get a different type of cover?

- - - Updated - - -

P.S. I wrote "fabric" but more of a thin felt type of underside. Anyway, looks different from what I could see.

That is an updated cover. It has a plastic underside that is very rigid. I don't think it's exclusive to vehicles with seats. The old cover was very flimsy. I think I read somewhere on the forums that the Tesla Service Centers would replace the old version whenever the cars go in for service?? Either way, you should definitely ask. I can take some good photos of the underside of the cover if you're interested.

I recently placed my order and did purchase the jump seats. Thank you very much for the video. One question, where do you put the floor cover when the seats are up? I saw you removed it, but is there a location where you can place it in the car when the seats are being used?

I recently placed my order and did purchase the jump seats. Thank you very much for the video. One question, where do you put the floor cover when the seats are up? I saw you removed it, but is there a location where you can place it in the car when the seats are being used?

If your frunk isn't too full, it will fit in there...

I tried that, but the the parcel shelf gets bent a little when the hatch closes.

I'll have to double check mine now.

There is another thread with good pictures showing how to store the floor cover behind the deployed rear facing car seats, using the fold. However mine does not seem to fit as in the pictures, perhaps because I have the updated cover. If you have the older one, you might be able to put it behind the seats nicely.

The cover fits at the bottom of the footwell - you have to fold the angled section back towards the main part (so it will fit briefly into the gap on the lower left of the footwell), then slide it in to the left side of the footwell (where the open space is), then lay it flat on the bottom and slide it back to the right, at which point the angled section will lay back against the rear of the footwell (closest to the bumper). Easier done than explained!

Bill

That is an updated cover. It has a plastic underside that is very rigid. I don't think it's exclusive to vehicles with seats. The old cover was very flimsy. I think I read somewhere on the forums that the Tesla Service Centers would replace the old version whenever the cars go in for service?? Either way, you should definitely ask. I can take some good photos of the underside of the cover if you're interested.

Oh, interesting, thanks. The one I have is definitely the older style. It looks flimsier than it is, but my other half was a little wary of putting heavy things on it.

I'm going in for a tire rotation and mirror-tilt-in-reverse-fix (I hope) next week, so if I remember, I'll ask about it. I'll definitely make a note of it for my first "annual" routine service in (I'm guesstimating) 4-5 months.

I am curious about photos (underside and maybe edge-on, which looks different), if it's not too much trouble--not a big deal, but since you offered. . . . ;-) Thanks!

Sorry to sorta derail! One day I'll have to check out jump seats up close in person; your video makes them look trivial to operate.