Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ground light on bottom of door

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok, maybe a little much for the majority out there...

While waiting on Artsci to get the lighted nosecone finished (can't wait!), I thought I would try something a little smaller in scale and put a small LED projector light in the bottom of the door. Just tied into the existing power for door light so it only lights when other door lights come on. Mounted it using the existing hole in bottom of door. Seems to work ok, even on the carpet in garage (garage was built for the car).

door-light.jpg

That. Is. Awesome!

Please post details on how you did it!

I'm sure there are many ways to do this, and I am not in any way a professional. That said, here's how I did it:

First, buy mini LED Tesla projector ;) - Ebay is a good start for that
When I bought it I was thinking I could hook up in garage to put on the wall...

Then looked at car to see where it could go - there is about 1" hole in bottom of door with black plug in it.
Dug in my parts bin (I have so much stuff...25+ years of collecting) found a thick clear hose, OD little bigger than hole in door, ID size of cylinder projector. Placed projector loose in hole and wired up to a 12v wall wort to see how it would look and to figure angle.
Pried lower door panel up - I'm sure there is a tool for it. I used plastic spatula, tape covered screwdrivers, it is hard to do and makes some noise when they loosen up, but looks designed to be removed and reinstalled. Looking up in there found a hole that goes from inside of door to outside - to run power wire through. It was occupied by green clip that holds door wires on door. I pushed clip out of way, there were more clips holding the door wires so I didn't worry about 1 clip.
Figured now I have place to get power so went back to projector. Carved out ridge in hose at angle needed, put on projector and little dawn soap on outside of hose to get it into hole, (and ran wire through hole that I removed clip from) - took lot of convincing but figured the harder to get it in, would't have to worry about it ever working it's way back out. Hooked wire back up to 12v wall wort to make sure I had it correct (didn't - it was upside down).
Then pried out the white ground light housing in the door panel, removed it's plug-in connector and took apart, soldered the wires on the existing ones, and put them back into the connector (use wire taps, I didn't have any handy at the time) and pushed light housing back into door panel. Pushed the door panel back on, after checking that the panel snaps were all in line, they are long and you will have to check that they go back into their sockets. Will take some firm push at each panel snap.
Then enjoy!

(Pic is from underneath looking up, you can see white panel snaps, green wire clip, glare from the ground light housing)
teslaS-driversdoorpanel-snaps-bottom.jpg

Last edited:
"Garage was built for car".. Climate controlled? Very Nice!

Not climate controlled...yet - was enough work and expense to just get it built :)

- - - Updated - - -

Looks like this is the widget needed....very cool...I saw something similar on the newer Range Rovers, but this looks better.

@Jason...do you have an 'after' picture of the installed projector light?

Here's after - hard to get a good pic...

door-projector.jpg