Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was just on Tesla's design studio and noticed a price increase of $1000 on the 21" wheels from $3500 to $4500 :cursing:. This is frustrating because this makes the 21"s even more out of reach (I think they were overpriced in the first place). Is there a reason for this? Not sure if there is another thread on this, so mods, feel free to move this.

I was just on Tesla's design studio and noticed a price increase of $1000 on the 21" wheels from $3500 to $4500 :cursing:.

$4900 in Canada!

Not just wheels, the active air suspension price went up by $750. From $1500 to $2250.

$2500 in Canada!

Annoyingly, the P85 is also now considered a separate model rather than a variant, so you can't quickly compare its price to those of the regular models anymore. And if you try to switch, a dialog box pops up saying that you will lose your current design if you proceed. WTF?!

I know Tesla has stated they want to cut down on unnecessary e-mail communication, but I wouldn't mind an explanation other than "Whadda ya gonna do about it?"

Last edited:
Annoyingly, the P85 is also now considered a separate model rather than a variant, so you can't quickly compare its price to those of the regular models anymore. And if you try to switch, a dialog box pops up saying that you will lose your current design if you proceed. WTF?!

It's been that way at least since I ordered back at the beginning of April.

Has anyone heard of a looming price increase? I was just at a store and the sales advisor told me there was another price increase coming. He couldn't elaborate on it anymore though. I wasn't sure if it was an attempt to get us to put our deposit down today or not though.

Seriously Tesla? WTF, you just shot yourselves in the foot, i paid $115K and my price was already over the top, now someone has to pay over $10K more for LESS

Also the POS $1000 sound system was crap, now you are charging $2800 for it?

2013-08-03 21_48_52-Model S Design Studio _ Tesla Motors.jpg

Seriously Tesla? WTF, you just shot yourselves in the foot, i paid $115K and my price was already over the top, now someone has to pay over $10K more for LESS

Basic supply and demand. When demand far outstrips your ability to supply it, raise prices. The only way they will have shot themselves in the foot is if this cuts demand below the remainder of 21,000 cars for this year. I'm sure they looked at European and Asian demand coming in and feel pretty ok with this. Tesla has no doubt done the calculations and while this will price some people out of the market, it will ensure Tesla gets the most dollars for each of the limited number of cars they're able to produce.

Also the POS $1000 sound system was crap, now you are charging $2800 for it?

Maybe it's a new version and sounds better now?

Basic supply and demand. When demand far outstrips your ability to supply it, raise prices. The only way they will have shot themselves in the foot is if this cuts demand below the remainder of 21,000 cars for this year. I'm sure they looked at European and Asian demand coming in and feel pretty ok with this. Tesla has no doubt done the calculations and while this will price some people out of the market, it will ensure Tesla gets the most dollars for each of the limited number of cars they're able to produce.

Maybe it's a new version and sounds better now?

+1. Couldn't have said it better.

The entry level 60kWh with no options (piano black interior) is still the same price. It's just the options that have mostly gone up, meaning people will have to fork over more for the options they really want. But it makes sense if Tesla is production-constrained and demand is robust.

Telsa probably should have provided some messaging about these changes. Like pointing some things have been unbundled, making it possible to get a P85 for $5,000 less than before. They should have described the difference between the old and new premium sound system, and they should have explained how the "extended nappa leather trim" differs from what was available before. Maybe a blog post, but it should have happened at the same time as the design studio changes. I don't think it's quite as bad as some people are making it out to be.

Telsa probably should have provided some messaging about these changes. Like pointing some things have been unbundled, making it possible to get a P85 for $5,000 less than before. They should have described the difference between the old and new premium sound system, and they should have explained how the "extended nappa leather trim" differs from what was available before. Maybe a blog post, but it should have happened at the same time as the design studio changes. I don't think it's quite as bad as some people are making it out to be.

Definitely agree. They should have posted a blog post detailing the changes more at the same time of the Design Studio changes. A blog post right now would still be very helpful, especially to clear up the premium sound option changes, if any.

Definitely agree. They should have posted a blog post detailing the changes more at the same time of the Design Studio changes. A blog post right now would still be very helpful, especially to clear up the premium sound option changes, if any.

It certainly would, but they messed up by letting these design studio changes go live without any explanation. Lots of people seem to have missed the price reduction part of this.

Maybe, but what's the point of a car like this unless you have most of the options?