Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mirrors won't auto-tilt

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My mirrors did not tilt when I picked up my car. The service center had to connect the car to their computer and set a toggle in the car's software, which setting is not user accessible. Has worked properly since.

Anyone have this issue sure something minor..

Mirrors do not tilt on backup but are On and should.
I'm sure I am the only one who didn't realize that it's a setting tied to your driver profile... Once you have selected the profile you want to set it on, put the car in reverse, adjust the mirrors where you want them to be for backing up, then save the profile again.

I had the same problem. When I got the car, I set the mirror to tilt. At some point however, it stopped doing it. So, while waiting in traffic yesterday I put the car in reverse and directed the mirror to the ground. I then saved it, put the car back in drive, and the mirror reverted. Now it tilts down in reverse every time. Freaked out the guy behind me though :)

I'm sure I am the only one who didn't realize that it's a setting tied to your driver profile... Once you have selected the profile you want to set it on, put the car in reverse, adjust the mirrors where you want them to be for backing up, then save the profile again.

I forgot to reply that your post was very helpful put in reverse set mirrors then saved profile, put in drive and mirrors pop back to normal and now they work in reverse too... Many thz..

I forgot to reply that your post was very helpful put in reverse set mirrors then saved profile, put in drive and mirrors pop back to normal and now they work in reverse too... Many thz..
Just paying it forward... I had seen another thread here with that same issue/solution and it helped me. Glad that was the case for you as well!

Ahh, got it! Thanks! Where do you all like to keep yours while in reverse? It's useful to have it point at the wheels on the right side but on the left, I think I'd like to see straight behind me.

Back when I had auto-tilting mirrors (grumble grumble grumble) I would have my driver's mirror tilt slightly in and slightly down, to have the car in the mirror as a reference. And also because I typically shift to the middle of the car, to look out the back window, when backing and this compensated for the position shift also.

The rear passenger mirror would tilt down to see the rear wheel on the ground, so way down and way in. Also adjusting for my backing position.

I was on the fence about the mirrors auto-tilt. They help in some situations, but I find they also made things more difficult. Backing into my garage was made harder when tilting the mirrors towards the ground. But made parking within lines much easier. But Tesla thankfully :)rolleyes::confused:) took away auto-tilt mirrors from me, and I think every other person that got cloth (non-memory) seats. So I just sit with them normal all the time.

My auto tilt mirrors stopped working the other day. i turned them off and on again and they started working again.

The next day they stopped working again, and nothing I've tried has worked. Any suggestions?

I've had this issue at least twice now. The most recent time, flipping the setting off and on did not correct it. Not sure what might've caused the issue.

Had this happen again. I figured out how to fix it.

1. Turn auto tilt off
2. Turn auto tilt on
3. Select Reverse and adjust mirror
4. Select Park or Forward. Mirror will not move; readjust normal pointing.
5. Auto-tilt will now work. You will have to do this for both mirrors
6. Save to Profile

Back when I had auto-tilting mirrors (grumble grumble grumble) I would have my driver's mirror tilt slightly in and slightly down, to have the car in the mirror as a reference. And also because I typically shift to the middle of the car, to look out the back window, when backing and this compensated for the position shift also.

The rear passenger mirror would tilt down to see the rear wheel on the ground, so way down and way in. Also adjusting for my backing position.

I was on the fence about the mirrors auto-tilt. They help in some situations, but I find they also made things more difficult. Backing into my garage was made harder when tilting the mirrors towards the ground. But made parking within lines much easier. But Tesla thankfully :)rolleyes::confused:) took away auto-tilt mirrors from me, and I think every other person that got cloth (non-memory) seats. So I just sit with them normal all the time.

I had auto-tilt taking away too via software update. I'm not at all happy about this. My feeling is that this feature was present and operable on my car when I took delivery. This feature needs to be restored on my car. I've inquired last week with my service center. I have confidence TM will do the right thing...

I had auto-tilt taking away too via software update. I'm not at all happy about this. My feeling is that this feature was present and operable on my car when I took delivery.

What? You can't get the auto-tilt feature working by going into the controls and turning it off/on?

What firmware version update number caused the loss of your auto-tilt?

I started on 5.8.4 and am now on 5.8.8. No problems with auto-tilt.