Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Extremely Disappointed about SuperCharger rollout

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Who else is extremely disappointed? Here is a quote from the May 30th Tesla Press Release.

Triple the number of Tesla Supercharger stations by the end of next month, including additional stations in California, coverage of the northwest region from Vancouver to Seattle to Portland, Austin to Dallas in Texas, Illinois and Colorado. There will also be four additional eastern seaboard stations, expanding the density of the network to provide for more convenient stopping points.

Well it is now[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans] June 29th and only 1 new Supercharger has been opened. Unless we get a flurry of activity over the weekend there is no way that 24 new supercharging locations will be opened by the end of the month. Actually based upon the reports in this forum I would be surprised if there are 24 new stations open by the end of July as many stations do not appear to have even been started yet.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans]I fully understand that opening stations takes time but you would think that an announcement that only covers a 31 day time period would be significantly more accurate. I am trying very hard to make plans for summer travels and understanding where superchargers will be is extremely important!

Anyone else disappointed with this miss? Sorry I just had to vent. [/FONT]

Last edited by a moderator:
I wouldn't say "disappointed". I understand these things take time, and there could be siting and utility connection issues beyond Tesla's control. I am anxiously awaiting infrastructure in S/W Ontario, Michigan and Illinois for road-trips myself...

Agreed there are many logistic issues however with the timing of the press release you would think that most or all of these issues were resolved prior to promising "by the end of next month".

I wouldn't say "disappointed". I understand these things take time, and there could be siting and utility connection issues beyond Tesla's control. I am anxiously awaiting infrastructure in S/W Ontario, Michigan and Illinois for road-trips myself...

I am certainly not surprised, and not disappointed at all. It was obvious from the beginning that Tesla did not realize the time it takes to make these kind of installations. Tesla is new at the game, and everything proceeds at a "contractor" or "government" pace, not a "Silicon Valley startup" pace.

The number of Superchargers operational by the end of this year, and next, is much more important in the big picture. Contractors and governments do get stuff done. Eventually.

GSP

It would be great to have some concrete dates and locations. However, because there are a lot of "moving parts" involved in the SC installation, it is not surprising.

Planning a trip to Hershey PA and having a SC somewhere along I-78 would be nice.

Do they know when the SC in Bellingham, WA will be completed? I'm planning a road trip with my Boss to Vancouver for a conference in his 60 kWh and it would be great if we could use the SC.
Well, to answer your exact question, probably never. However, the Burlington one will be open in a couple of weeks, maybe sooner. There is supposed to be a 70A J1772 at Blaine.

Anyone else disappointed with this miss? Sorry I just had to vent.
I'm not disappointed because early on I figured out Elon Musk. I would never bet on his specifics but I will bet on his vision. I took the SC announcement as a broad but loose plan. I bet his SC team cringed at the announcement because they knew there was no way they could make it happen in anything close to his time frame. The good news though is that we are seeing progress in a number of places and I would expect many SCs in place by the end of summer. Will it be 30? I highly doubt it. Probably 15-20.

So, don't hold your breath, don't make travel plans based on Elon's words and don't get upset that he's a visionary. If he was a buttoned down businessman, there's no way there would have ever been a Model S.

It's natural for the early adopter crowd to cut Elon some slack. But Tesla promised, and there's no other word for it, that there would be "triple the number" of stations by end of June and if they're nowhere to be found, that is bad. No getting around it. The kind of thing that hurts their credibility among the non-early-adopters, which are, in the end, the most important customers for Tesla. The ones that get the company to Gen III and beyond.

The press release explicitly states that "Model S owners can expect" -- that's a promise.

Sounds like they screwed up.

You have to interpret the grey dots as "We'll start to work on them" not "they will be online shortly after the date" Basically add six months to the timeline and it will be about right. I know that's not what was promised but I doubt Tesla a a dedicated person for each grey dot--which would be required if they were all going to be online by the promised date.

One or two months - I can understand (even though they should be more careful when talking about something that was planned to happen just a month ahead). Some CHAdeMO station have taken a year more than planned - most due to the cluelessness of Blink.

You have to interpret the grey dots as "We'll start to work on them" not "they will be online shortly after the date" Basically add six months to the timeline and it will be about right. I know that's not what was promised but I doubt Tesla a a dedicated person for each grey dot--which would be required if they were all going to be online by the promised date.

The way I see it, there are two choices - get pissed and agitate for satisfaction or recognize that Elon is probably related to PT Barnum and take what he says with a grain of salt. (or perhaps a boulder) I don't cut him slack, I just don't believe his grandiose pronouncements.

I think this is the most sensible interpretation. Having only done these before in three states, and given that electrical codes, permits, construction unions, etc. all vary state to state, it is not at all surprising that they are some weeks behind schedule. I am just delighted that the first two that will change my road tripping life are well underway and nearing completion (Burlington and Centralia, WA).

If anyone had planned their summer travel plans for last year on the delivery date of their Model S promised in 2011, they would be without a car. But all this fades in time. Would you rather be dealing with the innovation and execution schedules of any other automaker? Where are they in enabling continent-wide EV travel?

Even with a company known for missing deadlines, I just think it's a little strange to put out a press release that commits to a large number of Superchargers to be ready in a month, when it takes 4-6 weeks to install one. Why would you knowingly set your customers up for disappointment?

Even if we assume the deadline was really end-of-July, I'll be surprised if we see the Austin-DFW SC on time.