Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Extended Warranty Price Increase

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How many of you were planning to purchase the extended warranty? Until yesterday, I was certain that I would. I have 18 more days to decide whether I should get the service plan or go ala carte. Some time around midnight PDT, the price jumped on my dashboard and the main web site from $2500 to $4000. I just spoke with Walter at ownership experience and he said that there is no grace period or retroactive pricing. They just found out themselves when they showed up for work this morning. Now, I have to juggle the probability and cost of a major repair versus the cost of the extended warranty.
The cost of the 8 yr service plan and the extended warranty is now almost $8K! To put that in perspective, that would be the price difference between a 60 kWH with the supercharging option vs. a 85 kWH. Wow! What to do, what to do.....

[Moderator's Note: Thread moved from the Hawaii section since it's of general interest. Also Tesla posted that warranty price increase won't go up until July 3rd. Model S Extended Service Agreement Price Change | Forums | Tesla Motors]

Last edited by a moderator:
That is a huge bummer... we also have a little over two weeks and were planning on purchasing it as well. :scared:

How many of you were planning to purchase the extended warranty? Until yesterday, I was certain that I would. I have 18 more days to decide whether I should get the service plan or go ala carte. Some time around midnight PDT, the price jumped on my dashboard and the main web site from $2500 to $4000. I just spoke with Walter at ownership experience and he said that there is no grace period or retroactive pricing. They just found out themselves when they showed up for work this morning. Now, I have to juggle the probability and cost of a major repair versus the cost of the extended warranty.
The cost of the 8 yr service plan and the extended warranty is now almost $8K! To put that in perspective, that would be the price difference between a 60 kWH with the supercharging option vs. a 85 kWH. Wow! What to do, what to do.....

I guess I'll wait till the last minute and see. What a disappointment. Not that there was an increase, but that the wasn't any warning. That's not the kind of thing I expect from Tesla. Be sure to complain to ownership about this.

Hmmm, helped me make my decision. That now means that some where between Year 3 and Year 4 of my ownership, when the SC is working on my car, I will opt for upgrading to one of the loaner P85's in the loaner corral. Fresh warranty from that point going forward, possibility improved battery maybe 400 miles versus 300 miles, fresh tires, no possible unexpected "about-to-bite-me" needed repair. Probably cost the same to upgrade as it would to "install" all those listed changes/upgrades and the major repair, but it would be a new S. So instead of spending $8K today, I will put that money into TSLA stock. In 4 years, pay for the upgrade to the P85 and have enough profit to buy a new T hat. Give me some more lemons and I will try to make some more lemonade.

That's fairlu crappy given in washington state, we were never even given the chance to buy the extended warranty at a lower price. I seem to recall elon mentioning service being non-for-profit.

That's fairlu crappy given in washington state, we were never even given the chance to buy the extended warranty at a lower price. I seem to recall elon mentioning service being non-for-profit.
Yah, I'm kinda annoyed about now. I don't even see a pricing, as I'm in Washington State and still blocked from seeing the option even offered.

Aloha Markb1, I guess because it was easy for Solar to put it in this section since he lives here. I am sure the intent was not to hide it.
We, Hawaii folks don't often venture over to the main forum. We have so many unique things to talk about here and in Hawaii, we stay pretty busy. (We welcome anyone to visit or add to our section.) Solar probably put it in Hawaii so we would see it?

But I suspect your point "this info is better served in the general forum?" Your point it well-taken. Why not suggest to Admin that they move it, or someone can start the same again in the general forum.

Markb1, come visit us in Hawaii. We will take you for a ride in our MS's. Aloha.

But I suspect your point "this info is better served in the general forum?" Your point it well-taken. Why not suggest to Admin that they move it, or someone can start the same again in the general forum.

Exactly. Not quite sure how to request a thread be moved, though.

Markb1, come visit us in Hawaii. We will take you for a ride in our MS's. Aloha.

One of these days! Thanks for the invite. I've never been.

Messed up!

I was specifically told several times that the price of the extended warranty would not change! period! kept asking and getting same answer. so I paid for service for 8 yrs, which I apparently don't need and I could have just gotten the $2,500 extended warranty and been fine.

I guess I'll just need to drive the hell out of my car now and not worry about the miles anymore

You do realise not-for-profit does not mean make-a-loss right?

The move clearly shows that owners are squeezing Tesla service out of every penny. It's a chicken and egg issue. I saw this coming from the first posts after EM made the not-for-profit announcement. You can see the trend in this forum itself.

Markb1:
You are correct that this would have been better to have been posted in a non-regional location. I guess that I have been primarily struggling with the service plan issue because we tend to be a particularly low mileage group (50 miles to the most distant point on the island of Oahu). If anyone can figure out how & where to move this post, I would appreciate the assistance.

I'm not the admin for this area of the forum, but the request is easy enough to make (and I've done so). Report the first post, with the request that the thread be moved, and the correct moderator will receive the request. (Just an fyi for the future.)

They definitely should have told us. I was definitely gonna buy it (along with the 4+4 anywhere service that I already bought) but figured their was no rush. The only thing I can think is that TM decided that the old price was simply a money loser.

Update: Just bought mine at the original price.

Last edited: