Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Porsche alt-drive prototype goes up in flames - testing equipment blamed

Quote Originally Posted by youlikeadajuice View Post
    don't ICE vehicles catch fire a lot?
    Yep. Jeep is the new Ford Pinto. 51 accidents over the last several years where 72 people died because the gas tank blew up. http://bigstory.ap.org/article/gover...gas-tank-fires Horrible SUV. Gas tank is in the crush zone of any vehicle striking it from behind.
    P85. VIN05837. Mileage (05/13/14): 48,000mi, Black | Tan Leather | Perf Seats | Obeche Glossy | Pano | Tech | Sound Studio | Air | Spoiler | Parcel Shelf | Twin Chargers | HPWC | Fog | Extended Trim | Alcantara | Premium Lighting, Aftermkt: XPEL | 40/20% Tint | Lighted T | 19" Tsportline TST Grey Turbines | 255/45ZR19 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S3

and ICE can continue to catch fire without a big stink.... However, let one MS go up in flames and Faux News will declare the end of the world. As my dad would say, life is not fair.
    P8911 ViN4288 85KW Silver Grey Obeche P85 21s Dual/Tech/Sound/Air Delivered 2/6/2013.
    P14936 Model S #2 14694 Red/Black/Black P85+ Dual Charger Solid Roof P+ 7/20 delivery.
    White/Tan S85 18201 ordered 7.26 delivered 9/2/12 (accident damage 12/12). Replacement White/Tan S85 delivered 3/5/14

Heart of the Alaska Range AudubonB's Avatar
    Hold on a minute. I'm calling BS on this one: "1 in 1400 ICE per year in a fire". Just because you read it on the internet doesn't make it true, and I'd like a little background confirmation before this goes down a gospel. It DOES NOT help our cause to use faulty data.

Now, if it IS true, that's fine - but let's see the hard facts, ma'am.

Quote Originally Posted by AudubonB View Post
    Hold on a minute. I'm calling BS on this one: "1 in 1400 ICE per year in a fire". Just because you read it on the internet doesn't make it true, and I'd like a little background confirmation before this goes down a gospel. It DOES NOT help our cause to use faulty data.

Now, if it IS true, that's fine - but let's see the hard facts, ma'am.
    I provided the link to the vehicle fire data.

Items for Sale
    From the NFPA official site:
    http://www.nfpa.org/categoryList.asp?categoryID=1123&cookie%5Ftest=1

"U.S. fire departments responded to an estimated average of 152,300 automobile fires per year in 2006-2010. These fires caused an average of 209 civilian deaths, 764 civilian injuries, and $536 million in direct property damage."

152,300 car fires per year = A gas car burns up every 3 1/2 minutes just in the US.
    Reserved 11/28/2012. Reservation #14889 MVPA 1/17/2013, VIN# 6556 delivered 3/9/2013, Perf85, 21s, green, black, cf, pano, air, tech, twin, hpwc.
    2000 Ford Ranger EV NiMH, 65K miles (SOLD),2011 Leaf 26K miles (SOLD), 2013 Leaf 4K Miles
    6.88 KW solar, 2Ton Geothermal,Net zero energy bills

Quote Originally Posted by richkae View Post
    I provided the link to the vehicle fire data.
    Although I will admit that it is possible that the International Union of Concerned Firefighters is overstating the fire risk because they are after the huge pile of o-so-lucrative grant money to research how to keep people from burning up in cars. But I think it is most likely that they are providing the best data and analysis that they can out of genuine concern for the human race because they could easily find gainful employment researching how to keep people from being killed by bullets instead. I would instead focus my doubt on the cartel of "big fire" who claim that fire is and always will be a natural phenomenon immune from anthropogenic influence regardless of how much gasoline you throw on it.

Quote Originally Posted by jomo25 View Post
    According to this Bloomberg article, it wasn't even the battery that started the fire, but testing equipment.

Porsche Prototype Catches Fire Due to Testing Equipment - Bloomberg

Of course that could be VW's 'official' response to allay fears that their upcoming car caused a fire.
    Are we jumping the gun on this one?

According to Bloomberg, Porsche have yet to state that was an EV. Could be a hybrid or some ICE prototype.

This thread title should be ammended to "Porsche prototype goes up in flames - test equipment blamed" until we have a clearer picture.

Original story source seems to be here: http://m.stuttgarter-zeitung.de/inha...aa80808f8.html

Quote Originally Posted by malcolm View Post
    Are we jumping the gun on this one?

According to Bloomberg, Porsche have yet to state that was an EV. Could be a hybrid or some ICE prototype.

This thread title should be ammended to "Porsche prototype goes up in flames - test equipment blamed" until we have a clearer picture.

Original story source seems to be here: http://m.stuttgarter-zeitung.de/inha...aa80808f8.html
    Agreed. Several other story sources state only an "alternative-drive" vehicle, no indication of a pure EV. Thread renamed.
    Moderator - EVs, Tech, Midwest, SpaceX, OT forums

Thread Information