Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Top 10 dumbest things about Internal Combustion Vehicles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
1. Idling. Your car isn't going anywhere but the motor spins and burns gas anyway, it can't rest, it cant stop.

2. Tailpipes. ICEs are so inefficient that they need to constantly spew heated gas out.

3. Catalytic converters. You've got a big tank full of expensive fuel, but you don't completely burn it - so this thing finishes the job.

4. Mufflers. Make a ton of noise so carry around a heavy chunk of metal to quiet it down.

5. Oil filters. Normal operation is constant grinding, so this thing collects all the filings. You didn't need those filings anyway.

6. Brakes. Every time you slow down you grind one surface against the other instead of reclaiming the kinetic energy to use again. Stupid.

7. Transmissions. Efficiency band is so narrow that you have to have a big mess of gears to constantly change. Added complexity.

8. Starter motors. This exact same thing just scaled up could move the car all by itself.

9. Spark plugs. They wear out and need to be replaced!

10. Oil changes.

At least with a hybrid you eliminate a lot of these issues such as the transmission, idling, brakes, and starter motor. As for the spark plugs, I think that is an exaggeration. I think plenty of cars go well over 100,000 miles before replacing them. Plus they are inexpensive, easy to do, and only take a few minutes. If I were to add something to that list it would be that you have to buy your fuel from a 3rd party.

Well, diesels haven't any spark plugs but, as an owner of some dozen or so diesel engines at present, they have these thayngs called injectors. And when an injector goes, bad...ouch!

How about these:

• Fuel Supply. Refilling the supply chain takes millions of years.

• Exhaust gases. Every time you run that engine you're very slowly cooking your own grandchildren.

• Refueling. Must be done by hand, standing next to the hose but don't inhale the fumes as they're carcinogenic.