Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

President to Speak Tuesday on Plan to Reduce Carbon Pollution

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Curt Renz

Mar 5, 2013
USA
President Obama will deliver an address on Tuesday at 1:35 pm EDT which he says will involve executive actions to implement "a national plan to reduce carbon pollution, prepare our country for the impacts of climate change, and lead global efforts to fight it."

The main thing the president will do is limit carbon dioxide emissions from power plants. This will effectively start to phase out the use of coal, something which is happening already because of the low price of natural gas. Since passing legislation on climate change won't happen for the next two years at least, his primary mission will be educational.

The future will need "new fuels"? Please. Let's get on the EV train. I'm a supporter of Obama, but he was all over natural gas and fuels and hardly harped on switching to EVs. More political crap....

I very much like point 3 of President Obama's climate plan (Lead international climate efforts).
Inside point 3 I would like to point out the following goals:

• Work via the U.N. treaty process.
  • Pursue bilateral initiatives with China, India, and other big emitters.

I think that President Obama is really focusing the kernel of the problem of climate change and global warming.

Last edited:
I thought one of the most important things said was something that probably won't make the headlines:

Understand this is not just a job for politicians. So I’m going to need all of you to educate your classmates, your colleagues, your parents, your friends. Tell them what’s at stake. Speak up at town halls, church groups, PTA meetings. Push back on misinformation. Speak up for the facts. Broaden the circle of those who are willing to stand up for our future. (Applause.)

Convince those in power to reduce our carbon pollution. Push your own communities to adopt smarter practices. Invest. Divest.

This is absolutely whats needed. The #1 thing that the Climate Change Denial industry wants us for those of us who care about to the subject to sit down and shut up. By speaking out, we make life harder for those who want to continue the status quo: which is to maintain global dependance on fossil fuels for energy. Of course, that's a status quo that we will have to break if the world has any chance of avoid a climate change catastrophe. Now, the second thing he said, about invest and divest. That is highly important. Investing in clean energy companies will provide fuel to get renewable energy projects started. Divesting from fossil fuels, if done on a mass scale, could at very least slow the arms race towards more pollution. Divesting is an important statement, you vote with your wallet. Divestment actually helped bring down the Apartheid regime in S. Africa, and environmental groups are hoping that divestment from fossil fuels will have a similar effect. Fossil fuels companies are among the richest in the world, so it really will take a lot. But I'm hoping that this speech will get the ball rolling. The absolute worst thing we can do is not try, and not fight the battle we clearly need to fight. We must do it for our future.

Full transcript of the speech:
Full Transcript of Obamas Remarks on Climate Change - Washington Wire - WSJ