Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

USB audio for iPhone?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When you connect an iPhone via USB, I understand that it charges, but does it connect to play audio? Or does that only work through Bluetooth?

Based on what I've heard in other cars, I would prefer to listen through the USB, since it typically sounds slightly better and is less susceptible to distortion from other radio signals.

If this has been covered somewhere before, I apologize, as I've been unable to find anything using the Forum search tools.

Test drove yet again today and brought my iphone and cable with. Hoping it was just iOS acting up... but the cable is only there to charge... pretty annoying but whooo knows, can update the hard drive every so often to keep music in the car...

From an e-mail I received in Feb. 2013 from a TM Product Planner:

Apple recently discontinued robust USB support for iOS devices and is working toward improved Bluetooth functionality. Tesla is following their lead. In future software updates, we'll introduce greater iOS functionality like music browsing through Bluetooth.