Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone interested in charging at Toronto Motorsports Park

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys,

I did my first open lapping session @ TMP last week and I'm addicted. Unfortunately the battery runs down rather quickly. I'm planning to go back twice this summer.

Is anyone else interested in being able to charge there? If so, would you be willing to help contribute towards the installation of an EVSE? Feel free to send a PM.

Thanks.

edit: (I realize there is charging at Shannonville thanks to Doug, but I'm only 50km from TMP, so would love to be able to charge there...)

IMHO, CS-90 would be better for a Model S. I was able to run all day at Shannonville, charging on the CS-90 whenever I wasn't on the track. With less power than that I would have had to sit out some sessions.

The Roadster can get away with less, since it consumes less power (smaller and lighter.)

Unfortunately Toronto Motorsports is far enough from Ottawa that I am unlikely to make the trip. It would end up being a 3-day excursion for one day at the track.

So far I think 4 of us have expressed interest with the possibility of committing funds. (myself, djp, DSJ and dj905. what's with all the d's??? :)

I've been exchanging e-mails for weeks with the office @ TMP saying they passed my e-mails on to the owner... Anyways, today I was given the cell number of the owner, Uli. Unfortunately I got his voicemail when I called. I'm hopeful that we can get the ball rolling soon. I also took a peek at their electrical panel last night. (photo here: Is a HPWC/80A charging possible with this panel? )

Maybe I should be thinking bigger and convincing Tesla to put a supercharger there. :) lol

I'll keep you guys updated as things progress.

I'm going back for open lapping on August 14th if any of you guys are interested in coming. It'd be great if we could have some charging installed by then!

Glad to hear so many of us D's are getting on board! :)

Time depending, I'd love to come out on August 14th to go for a run. My car will be brand new! The deciding factor, however, may be charging! If we don't have an option for charging at the site, or nearby, I might not be able to make it home after some spirited driving. I live about 90km's away from the track.

Let me know if anyone else is interested. I'll have to look into some charging options as well.

Last edited:
You can always top up on the 14-50 at my house, it should be somewhat on the way home for you.... Might be a little slow though.

Glad to hear so many of us D's are getting on board! :)

Time depending, I'd love to come out on August 14th to go for a run. My car will be brand new! The deciding factor, however, may be charging! If we don't have an option for charging at the site, or nearby, I might not be able to make it home after some spirited driving. I live about 90km's away from the track.

Let me know if anyone else is interested. I'll have to look into some charging options as well.

Got to talk to the owner today, he is definitely interested. Sounds like our project is a go. :)

Do you guys have any thoughts on building an OpenEVSE? A computer engineer friend of mine is looking for a project to do together and he was really stoked to build one. That way we could have an ~75A charger there for fairly cheap. It would have an adjustable pilot signal so it could be adjusted down to 70A so Roadsters could use it as well. A combination of that and a Model S HPWC could be purchased for less than one CS-90....

Last edited:
It looks like we probably won't have enough for 2 EVSE's unless anyone else wants to chip in.

I'll plan on a CS-90 and a 14-50 for now.

I think that's a great start, we can always add more as more drivers come down the pipeline.

A 14-50 is certainly nothing to sneeze at. However, it really depends on where most of us are coming from prior to doing a few laps at the track.

Unfortunately it's rather too far from home for me (~550 km). Over 5 hours drive each way, plus charging, plus hotel stay, etc. Someday I might find an excuse to do it once...

Likewise one of those times you make it out to Shannonville I'll come join you. :)

I've heard back from the 3 guys who have expressed interest in helping out so far. Looks like we should have enough to cover the CS-90, 14-50 and their installation. I've contacted 2 electricians to give a quote for the job.

Things are progressing fairly quickly now! I'll either post more specifics here as I find out or via PM.

Thanks again everyone for their help!

Good news / bad news...

I talked to the owner last week and it sounds like he'd prefer the charging to be located next to the concession/food building instead of next to the panel. The good news is, is that it sounds like he may be willing to chip in towards the project.

Some other great news is that I stumbled across this (posted elsewhere in the forum):
Charging Station / TS70 (90)

Clipper Creek 70A j1772 EVSE for $1400USD. That's 600$ cheaper than a CS-90!!!

Last edited: