Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm not aware of an inside temp. gauge. If anyone finds it, pls let me know. However, I've noticed that the temp indicated on the App is not accurate with my car - it always shows about 10 degrees (F) more than the actual temp.

There's a temperature on the dash, lower left IIRC. But today it read 86 and the iPhone app said 110 or something crazy like that, so I don't know what the heck the app is reporting. Clearly they're using two different pieces of information.

Past cars I've owned have used a little aspirator to draw interior air in over the temperature sensor. From what I've seen, I don't think Tesla does this as it appears the sensor is buried somewhere and is picking up the ambient temperature of the surface it's attached to, resulting in a higher than actual value.

It's been established many times before that the interior temp is not displayed anywhere in the vehicle. Unless your mobile app-capable device is in the vehicle.

So what's on the dash--is that supposed to be the outside temp? It's totally different from the app. Here's what my dash says right now:

photo.JPG

Here's what my app says:

photo.PNG

The app's labelled "Interior temperature," so does that make the dash temp the outside temp?

The temperature displayed in the car is the outside temperature. It's displayed on both screens. For some reason, car manufacturers don't like to display the interior temperature. Possibly to avoid complaints about a/c, heat, or that the temperature displayed is incorrect.

Thanks, rlang59 and jerry33. How silly! At least, why not have the app display the exterior temp as well as the interior.... Having each show a different temp is just goofy. Ah well.

Well, the critical data point in determining whether or not to turn on the interior climate control via the remote app (so you don't bake when you get to your car in a hot parking lot) is what the INTERIOR temp of the car is...

As for the in-car displays... it seems consistent with other vehicles I've owned... they all display the outside temp. I also find that useful, because I use that to decide if I might want to turn off the AC and instead crack the windows/sunroof and enjoy some cool outside air.

So neither choice seems terribly "goofy" to me.... and is consistent with what other cars do and the choices you might need to make at the time.

I would really like the interior temperature, because my impression of the climate control is that it ramps the fan speed down much too soon. e.g., if I have the air conditioning on, I am often manually overriding the fan speed or artificially cranking down the temperature because I feel hot and stuffy in the car.

As an example, I had the climate control set for 70, and the app sensor showed 80. The fans started at high speed, but quickly ramped down to a very low speed, even though the cabin was still showing 80 on the app. I'd love to know what the climate control system thinks the interior temperature is.

Reactions: beachmiles
I would really like the interior temperature, because my impression of the climate control is that it ramps the fan speed down much too soon. e.g., if I have the air conditioning on, I am often manually overriding the fan speed or artificially cranking down the temperature because I feel hot and stuffy in the car.

I find that too. I have mine set to 69 and it still feels a bit warmer than my old car did at 72, and I also have to manually increase the fan speed from time to time.

Another thing I've noticed is that the volume of airflow is drastically lower when drawing outside air vs. recirculate. I thought it might be due to the cabin being sealed well, but I cracked a window and it didn't make any difference. Does recirculate go through the cabin air filter? I suspect not and wonder if that might be the cause.

I just wish the app would consistently even show the internal temperature. Seems like 70% of the time it doesn't do that.

The App generally doesn't show the temperature if it hasn't been connected for awhile. Turning on the climate control (even if only for one cycle) always brings the temperature display up.

- - - Updated - - -

As an example, I had the climate control set for 70, and the app sensor showed 80. The fans started at high speed, but quickly ramped down to a very low speed, even though the cabin was still showing 80 on the app. I'd love to know what the climate control system thinks the interior temperature is.

In other car forums, some folks have complained that the a/c starts the fan on too high a setting. I guess Tesla took those complaints to heart. It was 40 today and the fans seemed to work just right for me. (I've found the best way is to start at a fairly high temperature setting and then lower it over the course of the commute--today I used 26 as a starting point.)

The App generally doesn't show the temperature if it hasn't been connected for awhile. Turning on the climate control (even if only for one cycle) always brings the temperature display up.

That hasn't been my experience, I can be connected and see the temp close the app then go right back in and the temperature isn't displayed. Of course I use the android app which seems to have been a half assed effort as compared to the iPhone app.

Over in the "REST API" thread it's been reported that the car will often return NULL for the interior temp value for some reason, so at least that funkiness doesn't appear to be the app's fault...

I didn't think that was, I've noticed the same thing on the iPad. Of course that doesn't change the fact that the Android app is less "refined" then the iPhone one. That's pretty typical across the industry.

So neither choice seems terribly "goofy" to me.... and is consistent with what other cars do and the choices you might need to make at the time.

I don't see "consistent with what other cars do" as being a good argument. Tesla does various things differently that other cars do consistently but that some or many are happy that Tesla doesn't do like the other car makers.

But make a good point about what you need when. I just feel like, the data's available, so why hide it? I guess I don't have a rational reason to want to know (how would I use the data?) but it annoys me, as illogical as that is. ;-)

I do feel like both temps are wrong or at least misleading, BTW--maybe that's a reason to show more data. . . .

• Love
Instead of starting a new thread, I thought I'd tack onto here.

Car is 6 days old (LOVE IT...that's another thread).

First of all, I've generally noticed that I need to keep my temp lower in this car than my other two cars to be comfortable. Other cars are set around 70 while I've been driving the MS with the temp at 66 or 67. Today, I noticed something strange.

I was driving home from work with the temp set to 67. I felt completely comfortable in the car. I stopped at a light and pulled up the app...and was shocked to see it reported an interior temp of 76! I could imagine the temp was that warm as my car sits outside all day at work, but there was no way it was 76 while I was driving...I would have been MUCH warmer than I felt. Adding evidence of this was the fact that the auto fan speed was only at 4...I have to assume if the car REALLY thought it was 76 and the controls were at 67 that it would blow at a much higher fan speed.

I'm starting to try and correlate the two though...does the car think it's warmer than it is? Could this be related to the fact that I have to set the temp at lower temps than my other cars just to feel comfortable? Confused...

photo 1.PNG

photo 2.JPG