Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla on Nightly Business Report - Model X factory in Texas?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was watching the PBS/CNBC "Nightly Business Report" from Friday, 6/21/13, and couldn't believe my ears. Tesla is building the a Model X factory and Texas?!? And in a discussion about Tesla, the voiceover talks about Texas and North Carolina where, 'governments are improving regulations so that it's more pro-business'? If only this were true!

(OK, it's not April 1st, and there's a small clue at the end of the video clip. Can you figure it out? I promise an explanation no later than 10:00 AM eastern on Monday, 6/24/13)

http://youtu.be/VJjkVrAFEmk

Last edited by a moderator:
The pictures were of Tesla products, but the representative talking about Texas was from Flextronics, a PCB and systems assembler with locations worldwide (and several in Texas).

Capture.JPG

The pictures were of Tesla products, but the representative talking about Texas was from Flextronics, a PCB and systems assembler with locations worldwide (and several in Texas).

You win! Yes, the Flextronix CEO was talking about the "Moto X" (Motorola/Google Phone) that is going to be built in Texas, not the "Model X". I did a double-take because they were showing the Tesla factory line and I mistakenly heard "Model X" and "Texas factory". It's ironic that the Flextronic CEO points to Texas and North Carolina as states that have business-friendly governments. It's really sad that the Auto Dealer Cartel is so powerful that they are actually having success in imposing regulations that harm business in otherwise business-friendly states like Texas and North Carolina.

The news segment was about more manufacturing happening in America. It was actually very nice to see Tesla being shown as a good example - unrelated to any political or stock-price news (which seems to be what puts Tesla on the business news shows most often these days).

It's ironic that the Flextronic CEO points to Texas and North Carolina as states that have business-friendly governments.

It's natural to think these places are friendly to business because that's what they keep harping on, over and over. As if merely repeating it ad nauseum will somehow make it true. However, the fine print is that they are only friendly to businesses that align with them politically (anti-big government, in favor of deregulation). This is what the ongoing fight with Tesla proves. Politicians and their lobbies don't believe in it or its mission, so they are more than willing to let a genuine American company that employs thousands of Americans in an industry widely associated with the "American Dream" be squeezed out of their "business-friendly" states and suffocated. Hypocrites.
/soapbox

Tesla's current factory is running at about 10% of its VOLUME capacity. I cannot imagine any reason to build a new facility anywhere until all 3 models are up running and the factory is pushing out about 200k vehicles per year. Lets just hope they get to that place. Then if there was worldwide demand that exceeded those numbers, they would be looking for another facility.

Rick Perry recently went on a tour of California. He made all kinds of speeches in which he blasted California's taxes and regulations. He explicitly stated that he was on a tour of California to try to convince businesses to relocate from California to Texas, and to take jobs from CA and move them to Tx.

When the Enron scandal broke (Enron=Texas company), emails were leaked about how awesome it was that they lobbied CA politicians to deregulate the Electricity market in CA during the 90's, so that Enron could siphon middleman money from CA to TX.

The reason the TX legislature (a dysfunctional institution that sometimes has to be convened at gunpoint by the Texas Rangers) is so anti Tesla, is that Tesla is a California company. For all the Nationalistic sentiment you hear from Texans, they really do have loyalty to Texas first. If they can poach from other states, they're happy to. A lot of them openly wish that they were independent from the US, and they have petitioned en masse to seceed on the whitehouse.gov website.

Don't be surprised when TX does these things. They've been doing it for years.

One good thing about Rick Perry, he is definitely not anti electric car. Here's a video of him giving a speech on the subject.
I hope Rick Perry isn't as easily swayed by the knee-jerk Conservatives who for some unknown reason want to keep us on OPEC oil. I may be cynical, but you can find clips of Conservatives who were touting electric cars when Bush was President, but trashing them now that Obama is President. One good example is Bill O'Reilly saying positive things about the Chevy Volt when Bush was the President, but now O'Reilly does nothing but trash the Volt.

I'm hoping that Tesla's cars become so popular in states that border Texas and North Carolina that the citizens of those states will clamor to end the dealer-monopoly so they can get their hands on a Model S, Model X or Blue Star.

Last edited by a moderator:
Elon did tease that they might build a Tesla truck in Texas. They should call it the Triple T.

Interestingly, former interim Tesla CEO Michael Marks was also a CEO of Flextronics.

I would find it surprising if Tesla started making cars there given that they can't sell direct in Texas. Maybe that will be a negotiation point. It sends the wrong message if they give revenue to Texas via the plant, but then can't sell the cars there.