Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Now NY wants to shut down Tesla - please call you state Senator!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

deonb

Mar 4, 2013
Redmond, WA
Just tweeted:

Elon
: Just heard that NY auto dealers are sneaking through a bill to shut down Tesla in NY. Please call your state senator!

Elon: NY auto dealers are trying to ram the bill thru quickly while no one is looking. Please call now http://www.nysenate.gov/senators

Elon: Note fake reference to franchisors in NY Senate Bill http://assembly.state.ny.us/leg/?bn=S05725&term=2013 … and NY Assembly Bill http://assembly.state.ny.us/leg/?default_fld=&bn=A07844&term=2013&Summary=Y&Text=Y …

Last edited:
I've never called my senators before.. but I will do so now for sure.

Any tips for a first time caller? I never thought we'd have to deal with this nonsense in NY.

It's enough to make me cross the hudson, buy and register in NJ, and avoid paying sales tax.

F-it! I'm calling Cuomo! Now I'm angry!

/rant

Last edited:
One of my family members who lives in NYC spoke with a rep for Sen Liz Krueger D-28 (her district is the East side of Manhattan). The rep hadn't heard of the bill and indicated that it was unlikely the Sen would support...but you never know. Everyone should be calling asap. Here's a script...

"Hi my name is ______ and I'm a constituent of Senator _______. I'm calling to voice my objection to Senate bill S05725A that forbids the sale of Tesla's electric vehicles in the state. What is Senator ______'s position on this bill?"

Last edited:
A quick search didn't find anything on NY's legislative calendar. Someone needs to figure out the Bill's number -- if it's the typical "manufacturers can't be dealers" Bill, then it doesn't mean that "Tesla can't sell electric vehicles" it's more like Tesla can't sell EVs directly. It's a big difference -- and if the Senator heard from the NYADA, "don't worry, Tesla can have it just the way then want, they'll just be selling through a franchised dealer named 'Tesla of Albany'" then you may lose support.. This is one of several things that happened in Texas.

A quick search didn't find anything on NY's legislative calendar. Someone needs to figure out the Bill's number -- if it's the typical "manufacturers can't be dealers" Bill, then it doesn't mean that "Tesla can't sell electric vehicles" it's more like Tesla can't sell EVs directly. It's a big difference -- and if the Senator heard from the NYADA, "don't worry, Tesla can have it just the way then want, they'll just be selling through a franchised dealer named "Tesla of Albany". This is one of several things that happened in Texas.

I just updated the OP above - Elon posted the bill numbers for the assembly & senate bills

Here are the details:

Bills

Sponsor: Sen. Lee Zeldin R-3 Phone: 518-455-3570 [email protected]
Co-sponsor: Sen. David Carlucci D-38 Phone: 518-455-2991 [email protected]

Call them immediately!

I bet they've received campaign contributions from the NY Dealers Association, and it's probably accurate that their constituency nearly unanimously supports Teslas ability to sell direct. Can anyone dig up dirt on their contributors, helps discredit them.

I bet they've received campaign contributions from the NY Dealers Association, and it's probably accurate that their constituency nearly unanimously supports Teslas ability to sell direct. Can anyone dig up dirt on their contributors, helps discredit them.
Yes, but it's not a lot directly -- Carlucci had $1500 in 2012. I wonder if there's an easy way to get at PAC contributions?

horrendous!

- - - Updated - - -

I just posted this article in another thread. In addition to the previous attempts to lock out Tesla in some States it seems they are trying to prevent an owner from even registering a Model S in NY unless it was bought from a franchised dealer...

http://www.greencarreports.com/news...-make-registering-tesla-cars-illegal-breaking
I just read this article and the tactics, and process is very disturbing to me. Drives me up a wall and makes me so angry.