Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Petition to White House Requesting Direct Tesla Sales in All States

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Curt Renz

Mar 5, 2013
USA
A new petition has been posted to the White House website asking the federal government to overrule state laws that require all cars be sold through franchised dealerships. A similar petition was initiated in April but withered long before the goal of 100,000 could be reached.

Link to petition: allow Tesla Motors to sell directly to consumers in all 50 states. | We the People: Your Voice in Our Government

Dealerships make most of their money through parts and service. An electric motor has few parts and requires minimal service. The Tesla service division has been mandated to add no profit to the company. If a problem does arise, a Tesla Ranger brings a free loaner to the owner and returns his car to a Tesla service center. Would a dealer be willing to do this? At no profit?

Dealerships have contracts with manufacturers granting the dealership a protected territory in which the manufacturer and other dealerships cannot sell that manufacturer's cars. There really is no additional need for laws to protect the dealerships' territories. The only reason would be to keep out a new competing brand with alternative methods for sales and service. That's un-American, anti-free enterprise, anti-consumer and contrary to the interstate commerce clause of the United States Constitution. Yet some state legislators bow to contributors of large amounts of money to their election campaigns rather than the desires of their constituents.

Please sign the petition and then write state and federal officials and ask them to overturn laws preventing Tesla from selling and servicing directly to consumers.

Guys I will sign but once again i will say that this petition will do no good. The federal government can not legislate this directly. The way the feds will effect this is when a case is brought up in federal court claiming a violation of the commerce clause of the constitution.

Guys I will sign but once again i will say that this petition will do no good. The federal government can not legislate this directly. The way the feds will effect this is when a case is brought up in federal court claiming a violation of the commerce clause of the constitution.

Not necessarily... It could cause the administration to file suit against specific or multiple states, therefore initiating the Constitutional challenge...

My only issue with the petition is that is poorly worded and focused only on Tesla. The petition should be about the principle and state the Constitutional issue with the state laws. Tesla should just be an example...

My only issue with the petition is that is poorly worded and focused only on Tesla. The petition should be about the principle and state the Constitutional issue with the state laws. Tesla should just be an example...

Signed, but totally agree that it should be about general principle. But it's the best we've got for the moment.

Let's keep this thread current so it stays at the top and people see it. Likewise, don't know if there's a way to link it in the investors' thread, but it's relevant to them, too. Maybe even in the comments of a Seeking Alpha Tesla article.

I signed and posted on twitter, but I agree that the executive branch can/will do little. We have to have Tesla sue the state of North Carolina or Texas, and have it appealed up to a Federal court. I am not a lawyer but I assume the state courts will consider it legal and if they keep appealing the decision, doesn't it eventually end up in the federal appeals courts?

A suit could probably be brought immediately in federal district courts without being in state courts.

I signed and posted on twitter, but I agree that the executive branch can/will do little. We have to have Tesla sue the state of North Carolina or Texas, and have it appealed up to a Federal court. I am not a lawyer but I assume the state courts will consider it legal and if they keep appealing the decision, doesn't it eventually end up in the federal appeals courts?

Would be great if Elon could tweet this link out to his 238k follows. If just half of them signed it, we'd be well over the 100k needed.

I'm not familiar enough with twitter, but does anyone know if you reply to one of his tweets and include the White House link, will all his followers see it?...