Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Clay model of new Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Trnsl8r

S85 2012-2018, X90 since 2016, 3 since 2018
Aug 20, 2011
San Jose, CA
Found this piece on Swedish news television, Elon being interviewed at Hawthorne in front of a clay model that looks very interesting... Maybe an old discarded design or something new?

Nu börjar elbilarna slå igenom - TV4 Play

Skärmavbild 2013-06-20 kl. 21.53.39.png
Skärmavbild 2013-06-20 kl. 21.53.50.png

I took a screen grab from another frame. Model S or Gen III?

It kind of looks like a Gen III to me. The front seems shorter (entire frank/front area) and the back seems shorter as well.

The video date is 5/29/13... seems very recent.

models.png

- - - Updated - - -

Ok, I photoshopped a Model S into the pic for comparison. What do you guys think?

compare.png

Looks very much Model S. And it wasn't caught by accident, Tesla planned this interview right there. No way would they have done that with a clay model of Gen III in the background.

What IS interesting are the two cars with the black cover in the back (top picture). That's how to hide a design!

Unfortunately nothing new here. This is from an old video from early last year

On a lark I watched the recruitment video on Tesla's career page and at 1:23 in the video they showed a clay model which at first glance looks like Model S but upon closer examination may be BlueStar since it looks to be a shorter wheelbase with shorter overhangs.

What do you think?

[video=vimeo;15411923]http://vimeo.com/15411923[/video]

Looks like a two door coupe.

5574cae0-7c18-5191.jpg

I'm going to have to agree with Trnsl8r. The front and rear overhangs are much shorter than the Model S and distance to where the B pillar should go to the back of the side window seems shorter as well. I think it's a different car than the Model S, but wouldn't even try to speculate as to why it's there. The S would look phenomenal as a coupe, would "sort of" remind me of an Austin Martin DB with a shorter nose, wait... where was that design guy they just hired from? Releasing a photo of a next generation this way would be pretty typical of the way Tesla markets. Nothing like getting a bunch of Tesla fanatics all worked up...