Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do cars sold to areas with no service center undergo a different QC process?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

BornToFly

Supporting Member
May 8, 2013
Baby Jet
I have seen several threads by owners who had a car break down within a very short time of ownership. I wonder if they do a more detailed QC process (including more miles on the odometer) when the car is being delivered to a place with no service center? Living in Utah, if there is a problem, a ranger is going to have to come out to fix it if he can. No idea what will happen if he can't fix it (nearest service center is 6-8 hours away). If it is an early QC issue are they going to charge me $100 to have a Ranger come out and fix something that is their fault? It took 4-5 days to get released from the factory after it came off the line. I don't know if that is standard, but I hope that means they spent a little extra time making sure everything works.... Delivery of my Black/Black P85+ in 24 hours!! :love:

? It took 4-5 days to get released from the factory after it came off the line. I don't know if that is standard, but I hope that means they spent a little extra time making sure everything works.... Delivery of my Black/Black P85+ in 24 hours!! :love:

Maybe it got recalled. :eek: Sorry guys, I couldn't resist. Pleeeeze keep us posted - all news is good news. I'll be watching for you, if you see some nut frantically waving at you from a big old Dodge truck with strangely Tesla-related license plates . . . That'll be me.

I saw that after posting my question. I wonder what "coming soon" means? 1 month? 12 months?
As I side note, my delivery driver called and said a rear bearing seized on the trailer. He doesn't think he is going to make it to deliver my car tomorrow. Doesn't know how many days until he is back on the road.... :crying:

If there isn't a local service center, the QC would probably be done at the factory before shipment. When I received my car in January, the local SC wasn't open - so the car came to me direct from the factory to my house. And the only major issue was that the car was pretty dirty on the outside because it had been raining at the factory when they loaded my car, so Tesla arranged for a detailer to come to my house and clean the car.

A word of caution about seeing problems posted on the forums. With more than 10,000 Model S manufactured, if there was a widespread problem with the car, the forums would be swamped with concerned and frustrated owners.

I have seen several threads by owners who had a car break down within a very short time of ownership. I wonder if they do a more detailed QC process (including more miles on the odometer) when the car is being delivered to a place with no service center? Living in Utah, if there is a problem, a ranger is going to have to come out to fix it if he can. No idea what will happen if he can't fix it (nearest service center is 6-8 hours away). If it is an early QC issue are they going to charge me $100 to have a Ranger come out and fix something that is their fault? It took 4-5 days to get released from the factory after it came off the line. I don't know if that is standard, but I hope that means they spent a little extra time making sure everything works.... Delivery of my Black/Black P85+ in 24 hours!! :love:

Congrats. I wouldn't worry about it especially with the service center arriving soon. There is always the unlimited Ranger plan if that makes you feel more at ease.