Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Drag Racing at Texas Motor Speedway

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Something to do if your in DFW area on a Friday night.

I took my P85 out to the track to just see what it would do, and ended up winning the Sportsman class that night. I was the only electric car out there and they took a while to figure out what class I should run in :)
The other types of cars in that class were: Mustang GT, Vette, Camaro, Turbo 300Z, etc...

Thought I would run once or twice, but ended up running 7 times. 1 race was against a Grand Sport Vette. Most were close races, but each time the Tesla made it to the end first!

2013 FRIDAY NIGHT DRAGS PRESENTED BY SCION WINNERS
Street BanditsSportsmanSupercars Black Smoke Warrior Street Outlaws Tuner
Week 1 Travis Simpson Jason Jeske Stephen Hannah Charles Carey Will Wortman C

TMS-trophy061413.jpg

That is Awesome!

I plan on trying my 275mm 30R19 tires this weekend to see how different it is compared to the 21's. I ran a 12.645 on Hankook 21" tires, spinning off the line.
The 19's might stick but they are a smaller overall diameter and still want to spin. I think the Top speed will be ~6% slower so not sure how the 1/4 will be

Street legal grudge races this Saturday in Humboldt..

That is Awesome!

I plan on trying my 275mm 30R19 tires this weekend to see how different it is compared to the 21's. I ran a 12.645 on Hankook 21" tires, spinning off the line.
The 19's might stick but they are a smaller overall diameter and still want to spin. I think the Top speed will be ~6% slower so not sure how the 1/4 will be

Everytime I punch it I NEVER get any tire spin, why? I even tried with traction off! Weird.....

Everytime I punch it I NEVER get any tire spin, why? I even tried with traction off! Weird.....
Huh, had no trouble laying down stripes and producing clouds of smoke with a similar setup (P85, 21") with traction control disabled, although I was doing my damnedest to burn rubber as the tires were scheduled to be replaced in a day or two and had found some nice long dead end road in the country with nothing other than deer and turtles to watch out for. :cool:

Not sure how much tire age / type (nearly worn out Continentals on mine) and road condition (reasonably decent asphalt) affect the result.

I think the drag strip here is a little slippery. I can floor it form a standstill with no spin on a couple of newer roads around here but most will spin up to about 45 mph.
For the first 2k miles or so with the Contis, my car stuck a bit better but I think they also changed the software a little bit back then to make the TC more aggressive.

Strider -
They don't time it there - at NHRA 1/8mi track I ran 8.212 and 8.222 (crazy consistent)

- - - Updated - - -

That's really cool. Do you need special tires? I'd love to head out to Pomona (SoCal) and try this once mine gets here. Of course, it's just the 60 so we'd need to run with the slower guys. :)

Yes, it is sooo much fun!
Nope - most of these they only allow street tires.
I did change out my 21's for some 20" rims and 20" Nitto street tires, they do seem a little sticky-er than the Conti's

That is Awesome!

Let us know the times on the 19" - I would figure with smaller tire that would be same as lowering gears. When younger we always know going from any stock 3.xx to a 4.11 gear would give us better times. But as you say, they may spin too much.
Lets hope others will post as more and more try different ones.
I would like to find some wider rims for the back, say 10" - there is room if I get just the right offset, and then squeeze some 295 drag radials on it :)

Took our Red Tesla Model S-85 to TMS in July 2014

Jason, I just read this whole thread and looked at the videos. We took our Tesla to TMS July 25, 2014 and the same blue corvette took the Sportsman division that night as well. The T took another corvette and a camaro in the first two rounds and got beaten by a bad boy older Malibu (blue with yellow flames) in the third round. This Malibu lost to the blue corvette in the final.
Red Tesla vs Silver Camaro Friday Night Drags TMS 7-25-14 - YouTube

It was tons of fun and I was pleased at how well the Tesla was received. So many people had questions and interest in the technology. Yay!

Today we went to Cowton Cars and Coffee off of W 7th in Ft. Worth. We were the only Tesla there out of about 150 cars

Something to do if your in DFW area on a Friday night.

I took my P85 out to the track to just see what it would do, and ended up winning the Sportsman class that night. I was the only electric car out there and they took a while to figure out what class I should run in :)
The other types of cars in that class were: Mustang GT, Vette, Camaro, Turbo 300Z, etc...

Thought I would run once or twice, but ended up running 7 times. 1 race was against a Grand Sport Vette. Most were close races, but each time the Tesla made it to the end first!

2013 FRIDAY NIGHT DRAGS PRESENTED BY SCION WINNERS
Street BanditsSportsmanSupercars Black Smoke Warrior Street Outlaws Tuner
Week 1 Travis Simpson Jason Jeske Stephen Hannah Charles Carey Will Wortman C

View attachment 24017