Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Darien CT Rest Area

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
All -

JUST drove by the Northbound Darien, CT Service Area - it's now open!

2 Superchargers are there! They are not quite operational yet... the ends still have bubble wrap on them, but I suspect they will be ready ANY DAY!

Southbound Darien, CT Rest Area (a mile away) is still under construction...

Aaron

IMG_0987.jpg
IMG_0988.jpg
IMG_0989.jpg
IMG_0990.jpg
IMG_0991.jpg

Last edited:
Great news.

Interesting that the sign says "Reserved for Low Emitting / Fuel Efficient Vehicles" instead of "Reserved for Tesla vehicles". Wonder if that's a clue that other cars using the Tesla drivetrain will have supercharging capability? Or I'm just reading too much into it.

Great news.

Interesting that the sign says "Reserved for Low Emitting / Fuel Efficient Vehicles" instead of "Reserved for Tesla vehicles". Wonder if that's a clue that other cars using the Tesla drivetrain will have supercharging capability? Or I'm just reading too much into it.

I think they placards are coming, considering the Superchargers are not yet operational...

Aaron

Also just noticed that the maximum continuous voltage/current implies 100.8 kW, not 120:

480 V * 210 A = 100.8 kW.

So perhaps an old-style (90 kW) placard?

480v is one of the 3-phase input voltages (it will also take 208v 3-phase), while 210 amps is the maximum continuous DC output...

The top of the nameplate tag says "Supercharger 120"....

Also just noticed that the maximum continuous voltage/current implies 100.8 kW, not 120:

480 V * 210 A = 100.8 kW.

So perhaps an old-style (90 kW) placard?

For 3 phase power, multiply by square root of 3. (Well, and the power factor, but let's assume 1 for a second).
480 x 210 x 1.732 = 174 kW

Adding in a power factor of 70% (shouldn't be nearly that low, but it's not 1 either since it's a AC to DC transformer) you'll get:
480 x 210 x 1.732 x 0.7 = 122 kW

I like it. Richmond, VA area owners need to keep us posted with info like this (please?). I have a child pickup from a camp in Baltimore in a couple of weeks that will be very tricky without a supercharger. I'm already resigned to using the Prius. I'm also toying with a family road trip to New England this summer so I like those blossoming Northeast superchargers!

I like it. Richmond, VA area owners need to keep us posted with info like this (please?). I have a child pickup from a camp in Baltimore in a couple of weeks that will be very tricky without a supercharger. I'm already resigned to using the Prius. I'm also toying with a family road trip to New England this summer so I like those blossoming Northeast superchargers!

Tesla's map shows one north of Richmond (I'm going there again this weekend) - but since there are no rest areas on I95, they could put it at any of the exits where there are shopping/restaurants - so tough to find!

Aaron

Last edited:
Have you looked at the Supercharger map??? This one is on there, along with a couple hundred others.

I've looked at the map, I didn't notice this one.. I did see one that looks like its in Southern Rhode Island, I suppose I can take a drive to the CT border and see if I can locate that one.

Edit: just looked at the Summer 2013 SC map, now I see it. The closest one to me appears to be one on the CT/RI border, we'll have to locate that one, it's probably in a similar state of completion.

JUST drove by the Northbound Darien, CT Service Area - it's now open!

2 Superchargers are there! They are not quite operational yet... the ends still have bubble wrap on them, but I suspect they will be ready ANY DAY!

Groovy! If I'm mapping this correctly, it's 30-32 miles south of Milford. I guess that'll be nice--it'll be closer to halfway from the Newark Supercharger to my friends just north of Boston, so it'll make those two legs (Newark-CT and CT-Boston) more even.

I'm looking forward to the next grey dot more (just south of NYC, methinks? roughly halfway between Newark and Milford Superchargers, maybe?). More, shorter stops will be better for me than fewer, longer stops. And the one around Richmond, especially--that'll make a trip to Raleigh a lot quicker than my initial foray last month.

Anyway, great to see signs (literally ;-) ) of new Superchargers almost ready. I'm way more excited about Superchargers than battery swapping.

I'm looking forward to the Richmond area one, too! Check out the 70 amp J1772 charger (Tesla branded, but a J1772 charger) at the Omni Hotel in Richmond; not nearly as good as a Supercharger, but very helpful...much better than the lowly 30-amp stuff like the 30/208 chargers at the Science Museum).

I don't know how far you are from DC, but if you can make it there, the DC Store's web page says "Charging is available upon request only. Please call ahead if you plan on charging your Tesla at the store." I don't know whether it's an HPWC, but I bet it is.

Also, there're chargers at the Tysons Corner "gallery," though the web page doesn't mention them. At least one is an HPWC--picture in this thread (scroll/page down to get to the pic showing that there's now an HPWC--I think the other charger's a Roadster one, but I haven't seen it personally).

- - - Updated - - -

Just 2 bays? I guess there are more on the other side of the freeway?

Aaron said there's a southbound service area a mile away; I presume that'll get a pair, also.

Milford, CT "only" has two Superchargers, also. With them being only 30ish miles apart, two on each side of I-95 will probably be fine for now. No one was using any Superchargers at Newark or Milford when I went through there a couple of weeks ago, although I admit that was on a Thursday and a Monday. I'm guessing for these long-trip-aimed Superchargers, Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays will be the "busier" times (not sure how busy that'll be, though).

I'm maintaining a map of SC's - with existing SC's - and future SC's that are confirmed by evidence based information - for those of us on the west coast that don't have intimate knowledge of where exactly this is - could some one please take a look at the map I've provided and inspect the Darien Location "pin" I've dropped on my map - if it's in the wrong place please post a corrected location to the forums and I'll update.

thanks,

Summer 2013 Tesla supercharger locations - Google Maps

I'm maintaining a map of SC's - with existing SC's - and future SC's that are confirmed by evidence based information - for those of us on the west coast that don't have intimate knowledge of where exactly this is - could some one please take a look at the map I've provided and inspect the Darien Location "pin" I've dropped on my map - if it's in the wrong place please post a corrected location to the forums and I'll update.

thanks,

Summer 2013 Tesla supercharger locations - Google Maps

It's in the right spot!

Aaron