Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Quebec, Vermont collaborate on EVSE network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just hope they're not all 30 amp chargers...

Hopefully ... if they are, one would have to wonder who the governments are using as consultants for the deployment. If they believe that the EVSEs used for the circuit electriques network deployed mainly in the city will be useful for the inter-city travel reqs then they need to get better consultants ...

Guys, governments are using standards and the standard right now is J1772 and 30A (240V or 208V). Better than nothing but not quite DC chargers. That's why we need to work with HQ and the government to change the mindset. We're coming at it, part of the mission of the Club Tesla Québec. You will hear from us soon

No more Rona/Metro deployments
Kill the fix $2.50 Circuit Électrique fee and replace by a time based rate/fee
Deploy in places where people park for hours or rest areas
Deploy new more powerful DC standards (ChaDeMo or ???)

Pat,

I chatted briefly via email with the Circuit Electrique people and they are doing a beta test on Chademo at a St. Hubert in Boucherville... since there's no Chademo adapter for the S, it doesn't help us. I mentioned to them what we'd like (40+ amp chargers) but I haven't heard back from them.

> we'd like (40+ amp chargers) [zax123]

Make that 80 Amp (or more) per station and much more for overall capacity at each location. They need to seriously oversize their planning NOW, otherwise it will become obsolete very soon. Like the Level IIs.
--

Actually I think they are smarter than that this time. I have spoken twice in the last year with some of the VT officials working with QC and they were aware of the need for at least 70A in places where you are not staying overnight. They already knew that this was appropriate for places like rest areas, restaurants, etc where you aren't waiting a long time. I've been hounding some of the decision makers in VT at our largest utility for some time about this (I can get access to them because they are soooo much smaller than Hydro Quebec). I think in QC they also learned from the example that SCH set.

I fear that if the governments are doing this, they will try and serve the greatest number of EVs possible. Right now, "mainstream" EVs like the Volt and Leaf have greatest market penetration and they cannot, at present, take advantage of high-power chargers. The bean counters will likely see it as an unnecessary expense to employ high-power chargers when only a small fraction of the EV population (ie: us) can use them to full effect.

My gut tells me we'll be getting 40A chargers, yet again, unless there are actually some knowledgeable, forward-thinking people on these committees (HAHAHAHAsnort..... sorry :redface:)

I hope I am proven incorrect in the end.