Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Six Months Today: Life with a Model S at 6 Months

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Randomly web surfing and found "Tesla" Online: 3-2009.
Reservation: 8-2009.
Committed reservation: 8-2012.
Arrival: 12-16-2012. On time.

Owners delivery stories, photos and first impressions - Page 43

Today - Six months - 11,600 miles.
Average wh/mile: 356.
Last gas station: December 16, 2012. Imagine that.
Last Oil Change: October, 2012. Yep: Jiffy's Duped.
Total HOME FUEL BILL: $240
Total on the road fuel bill: $30, exactly.
Number of Superchargings: Five (CT twice Del x 3).
Longest Road Trip: 1,400.1 miles, eight states. Fuel cost: $30.

East Coast Model S Road-Trip: Eight States and Two Six-Strings, a Father and his Son

Most number of Models S's driven with at one time: 12 others, 13 all together - The Teslachusetts Sunday Drive.

Bringing back the Sunday drive - Page 8

Most unexpected moment: Telling Henrich Fisker, face to face, I had a Model S reservation (was funnier before we felt bad for him).
Number of test drives given: Certainly over fifty.
First Test Drive given: At Mile 2.5. Really. Ask Ed A - he was there.
Number of people I'd never met (aka total strangers) before the moment I offered and gave a test drive: Four. Try it - you REALLY get that Tesla Smile from them.
Number of test drives definitively leading to a Tesla purchase: at least three.
Number of hours spent watching Ben Goodwin Videos: more than I spent studying Gross Anatomy.

Most Southern Charge: Berlin, Maryland.
Most Northern Charge: Franconia, NH.
Lowest charge car has been allowed to savor: 2 miles.
Longest range car has achieved between charges: around 330 miles.
Car-washes: dozens.
Thumbs-up: eight today alone. Today! So hundreds and hundreds in 6 months.
Oil changes: none.
Gas stations: zilch.
Days leaving the house without a "full tank": Nada.
Days I worried about charging" Niente.
First Song: Jackson Browne: "Running on Empty".
Favorite Slacker Tune I'd Never Heard Before: Colin Hay, "Waiting For My Real Life To Begin".

Why I would buy a Model S (really): If I am going to buy a car, let me buy one that will give me crazy acceleration, a perfectly smooth ride, will give my family the room the five of us need to travel and the safety we so very much want to arrive safely, and will give back to the universe one less-dented world.

Why I would NOT buy a Model S: I like the smell of gas on my hands. No - wait. I like Meineke! No - I miss the rattle of my muffler and the risk of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning, and transporting hundreds of pounds of liquid gasoline in a car going 70mph, and I miss my mechanic (sorry Joe!), leaving the house and realizing I have no gas in the car, and I miss oil changes and timing belt changes and I miss the time my fan belt broke and the alternator went and I miss the brown crusting rust that a non-aluminum car offers, and the chance to have the brake pads replaced and learn the rotors are scored so deep they need to be replaced and I think I also miss the chance to buy a car that has little or typically no update-able software, is outdated before it is bought, has no guaranteed resale value, and would have cost me well-over $2,000 (minimum $1,856 in fuel, $150 in Oil Changes) to drive for 6 months instead of a documented $240, and I'd miss waiting for my gas car to warm up while my fingers freeze on a frigid winter's s morning because the Model S's heating takes seconds to turn on - if the Mobile App has not already warmed the car), and I would not buy a Model S because then I couldn't sit down with those nice dealers and wait while they "speak to their managers", and I'd miss the chance to drive behind an engine which, when I hit a tree, has to be displaced under my family's feet at 70 mph, and finally I'd miss the chance to help payback that loan we gave General Motors.
Best Mobile App Moment: Leaving Salt Lake City and turning on the charging port in Boston so my car was warma nd charged when I landed.
Most Important Mobile App Moment: Showing friends in Times Square the Tesla Mobile App and realizing that the frunk was open on my car, which was miles away. Oopsy.

Fastest Speed Achieved: I'd rather not say. But Chuck Yeager would be proud.
Favorite unexpected thing about the car: One-Pedal Driving/Regenerative Braking.
Favorite unexpected thing about Tesla's community - The Good Folk at TMC.
Favorite Unexpected thing about Tesla: Meeting or beating every deadline for four years.

This has been six months of just wicked fun driving. For those of you who know what I mean - know what I mean?
For those of you who could but don't: Your Car is Waiting to be made. Bought mine on an iPhone. Got phone? Get Car.

(Thanks to all at TMC for making the ride even smoother. Suggest all who have not give a little donation at the Support TMC link above to support this valuable resource).

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 2012MS85
Nice, I'm approaching 8 months in mine, still love it, but have become extremely comfortable with the Tesla as the new standard by which every other car should be measured. It's so easy, so quiet, so fast, handles so great and other than the fact that my windshield gets and stays much dirtier due to the lack of visits to the gas station, I don't miss a damn thing about gas cars.

I do have a better appreciation of the utter inadequacy of 30 amp J1772 chargers, which is compounded by the pitiful lack of any sort of electric charging infrastructure in the Missouri/Arkansas area...so my biggest complaint is that this part of the country is just not ready for widespread adoption. People here regularly drive 300-400 miles in a day or weekend and to do so, while possible, takes careful planning and a bit of luck (that the planned charger you want is available for the 12 hours it takes to charge).

Congrats! Sadly I *do* forget to charge occasionally as I sometimes wait a day until I can charge off my solar panels.
Last week I completely forgot to charge one night and now have some computer hackery to text me if my car isn't
charging at 9:30pm...

Excellent review, it's exactly 4 month today for me, and if I had to write something it will be very similar to what you did... with just 7,000 miles only.

What I hope to achieve before 6 month of ownership, is to drive from Montreal to San Francisco back and forth using 2 differents path for each way to thanks Tesla team. This car is giving all you can expected, and even more (like some crazy ideas)

6 months and 6300 miles so far on mine. I ride my motorcycle to work quite a bit (53k miles on my '04 CBR 600RR) so my milage isn't nearly as high as a lot of you. I still can't give up the ICE fully since I don't have any way to get my motorcycle fix in electric fashion.

Hopping in the car now and heading from Cape Cod to the Boston 'burbs. Appreciate and enjoyed the feedback above. It feels like I have had my Model S much longer than 6 months. Maybe it's the change from deep snow to summer breezes, but I think it is instead the complete change in lifestyle that accompanies the delivery of a Model S. Everyday is a little easier and a lot more fun. The frunk and rear well each suck up any shrapnel I am carrying (soccer balls, shopping bags, a bike pump, some gifts for a friend's kids, a set of golf clubs, an occasional guitar), so the car is always clean, open. Leaving the house with a "full tank" everyday is underrated. In fact, I leave you with this:

The next time someone asks you if you have to charge the car at home, return kindly:
"Of course - fill my car up all the way and leave with a full tank everyday - You have to go to a gas station? Wow, that's too bad".

Onwards -

@models1079

Very unique and entertaining review. As you put it, Model S needs to be owned and driven, to experience it fully. It shatters so many myths about EVs and so different than a conventional ICE car. I am putting this and other unique experiences on our club's Facebook page for the world to see. Hope many more switch to Tesla and EVs.