Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Silver Model S...What's up?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why isn't the silver a popular color? For other cars, silver has got to be one of the top color choices, but why don't most people pick the silver?

I'm on the fence as to Black or Silver.

IMO, because most other cars are sitting on dealer lots and dealers tend to stock non-offensive colors like black / silver. Given a choice, I think people are going for those otehr colors.

Have to say, silver's particularly bland for the Model S. For some reason, the beautiful lines of the car don't pop with the silver as they do with the white(s) while the elegance and proportions of the car don't get highlighted as they do with the black/blue/green. The reds are an entirely different breed, of course. Brown's probably right up there as a poor color for the S. I'd honestly recommend not choosing silver.

I used to have a silver C5 corvette and when you would go to a dealer and see them all lined up in all different colors the silver was the color that actually showed the lines and shape of the car the best. I almost picked silver for my S because of that reason, but chose blue because I wanted a change and really love the blue. I have been told that when you see auto ads most of the designers use silver because it does show the sedulity and design the best.

I used to have a silver C5 corvette and when you would go to a dealer and see them all lined up in all different colors the silver was the color that actually showed the lines and shape of the car the best. I almost picked silver for my S because of that reason, but chose blue because I wanted a change and really love the blue. I have been told that when you see auto ads most of the designers use silver because it does show the sedulity and design the best.

That makes sense. My previous car was black, and it did not show the lines of the car. White definitely shows the lines really well. Silver shows the lines pretty well too, and in the right light it can almost seem white.

The one thing I don't like about my Silver is that, in my opinion, colored wheels don't look as good.

photo (1).JPG
photo.JPG

My wife's preference is silver over all the other colors, but since this would be my daily driver, I got to pick. For me it came down to white vs black. Silver does show the lines really well, hides the dirt, and can evoke that high-tech machine look. But then as others have pointed out, can seem lifeless too. BTW, you'll note many of the ad photos Tesla uses are of the silver model.

If I were to get a silver, I'd go with the silver 21s! ;)

Thanks for everyone's great input! I guess one of the major factors for me is also the fact that I am lazy and silver hides the dirt the best! Dark colors look great but are impossible to keep clean!

I went with the grey for just that reason, particularly hearing about the amount of dirt that clings to the back end. I haven't been disappointed...love the look of the grey under different lighting conditions, and it definitely doesn't show the dirt. FWIW..I think the silver looks great as well, and I have never been a fan of silver.

Have to say, silver's particularly bland for the Model S. For some reason, the beautiful lines of the car don't pop with the silver as they do with the white(s) while the elegance and proportions of the car don't get highlighted as they do with the black/blue/green. The reds are an entirely different breed, of course. Brown's probably right up there as a poor color for the S. I'd honestly recommend not choosing silver.

Hey! I get lots of compliments on my brown Model S! :-D

I used to feel like a lot of rental cars were silver, so silver was never high on my list. I like silver--it just makes me think "rental car?". . . . Although these days, the rentals we get when out of town tend to not be silver, so I'm probably just stuck in the past.

IMO, the silver is very pretty in the sun, but it doesn't have as much metallic sparkle as some other silvers, especially from Mercedes. That sparkle tends to keep them looking interesting even when the ambient light isn't the right direction/intensity to cause nice highlights.

I'm delighted with my solid white, which shows all the lines of the car really well, and doesn't show every speck of dust. It does show more grey/black dust than I think you would see on the silver, though.

I'm starting to see the new red out and around. That's a very pretty color. It will be interesting to see what they look like wet/dirty/etc.

I wanted to choose silver because it would mute the amount of chrome on the car. But my first choice was white with glass roof, always have wanted that combination on a car. It gets really dirty though, especially the back end and where the wheels spit off tire black.

I like my silver! It's all a matter of preference, no?

^^^This. I like my silver too, but most folks want a colour that stands out. The bit about the dealers order more silver cars because they're inoffensive is a good point--just like all houses in Texas have stupid space wasting fireplaces because the builders and real estate agents think houses need fireplaces.

IMO, because most other cars are sitting on dealer lots and dealers tend to stock non-offensive colors like black / silver. Given a choice, I think people are going for those otehr colors.

Agreed. If you want a car that will appeal to most people, silver is a good choice. Therefore, silver is probably good for resale value, and it's good for moving it off of your dealer's lot.
With all the silver cars on the road, many of us prefer a different color; we get to choose the color we like best, even if it's one that will turn off half the potential buyers.

Anyway, silver is a perfectly agreeable color. If you like it, go for it.

Personally, I think black looks better when clean, but silver looks better when not clean.

Oh, and since I never take my Model S to a gas station for gas, I don't go through a car wash as often, and my car is dirtier than a typical ICE.

No offense to the silver owners but when I saw the silver Model S it looked like a Taurus or something. It just looks like a totally different car - a rather bland one. I know they are easier to keep clean looking, but I'm glad I resisted the urge to pick silver.

No offense to the silver owners but when I saw the silver Model S it looked like a Taurus or something. It just looks like a totally different car - a rather bland one. I know they are easier to keep clean looking, but I'm glad I resisted the urge to pick silver.

I'd have to disagree. Ford does not have a silver as silky and sleek as this. I hate silver cars, but am considering getting this one. Silver Benz's have never stirred any kind of emotion in me, but when I saw the silver Model S at the test drive tour, it looked the best out of all the colors there IMO. Very sleek and futuristic looking, especially with the CF spoiler. Still pictures definitely do it no justice as they often come out looking bland for some reason. It actually comes across looking better in videos. The lines are accentuated like with whites, which also look better in person.

I have a silver S. It is fabulous at not showing dirt. There is little question that the silver S shows dirt least of all colors. This was a leading reason for my choosing silver over white, which IMO shows the lines of the car better than any other. I also like the executive look of silver very much.

I agree that a silver Model S should have silver wheels, either size, to look its best.

Yet I agree with the comments that the silver Model S does not look as particularly striking as the other colors or as much like a Model S as all the other car colors. Yet I have a specific hypothesis as to the major reason why this is so now that I have lived with my car for a while: The optical illusion of "too long" doors created by the chrome strip under them on a silver Model S disrupts the lines of the car, makes it look like something not quite the same as all other Model S's.

Since the chrome strip along the bottom of the doors is silver, on a silver car this strip gives the doors the illusion of extending down farther than they actually do. This disrupts the line at the junction between the doors and the black region beneath them. On all other cars the chrome strip delineates the door and accents the junction line. But on the silver car the optical illusion is created of "too long" doors. This is subtle and subliminal but a real optical effect which I hypothesize throws off the overall gestalt of a silver Model S.

To this end I am having those chrome strips wrapped in matte black this week to see if this hypothesis is correct, at least to my eye.

Last edited:
When I was lobbying with North Carolina lawmakers about the anti-Tesla bill here, we gave some of the legislators a ride in this S. I really like the look of the silver with the dark grey wheels and I don't think these pictures do it justice how nice it looked in real life.
IMG_1585.jpg
IMG_1592.jpg

I'd have to disagree. Ford does not have a silver as silky and sleek as this. I hate silver cars, but am considering getting this one. Silver Benz's have never stirred any kind of emotion in me, but when I saw the silver Model S at the test drive tour, it looked the best out of all the colors there IMO. Very sleek and futuristic looking, especially with the CF spoiler. Still pictures definitely do it no justice as they often come out looking bland for some reason. It actually comes across looking better in videos. The lines are accentuated like with whites, which also look better in person.

Well here is a "bland" picture of my silver Model S after about 600 miles since the last car wash. Taken in Joshua Tree National Park.

Model S at Joshua Tree N.P..jpg