Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Accommodations with charging in Sonoma/Calistoga?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There are a few hotels within walking distance of EV Charging Location - Trancas Park-and-Ride - Napa, CA in Napa. I haven't charged there myself, but that could be an option.

The Sonoma charger at EV Charging Location - Napa Street - Sonoma, CA is in a great location for a nice lunch and does have hotels within walking distance, but has a 4 hour limit on parking, so you couldn't just leave it there overnight.

I did a Sonoma +Petaluma trip from San Jose and with some efficient driving, I only needed about an hour on the Sonoma charger (though I got more than that).

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

There are a few hotels within walking distance of EV Charging Location - Trancas Park-and-Ride - Napa, CA in Napa. I haven't charged there myself, but that could be an option.

The Napa Valley Marriott is directly across the street from this park and ride and there is a Hilton Garden Inn a little ways behind it. I'm staying at the Marriott at the end of June and will check it out for you. The GM also told me that there is a 110v outlet somewhere in the hotel parking lot so will inquire about that as an alternative also if you want.

August in Napa will likely be outrageous regardless of where you stay.

Only lodging in Calistoga is Solage Resort at $500+ night but I did find the Meritage and Silverado Resort in Napa for half that and both have level 2 stations. Both are on Recargo and adding them to my overnight charging map at http://dcubed.com/evmap/

Google maps shows 10 hotels or motels in Calistoga. Some are pricey, some are not. I personally stay in my house in Angwin, 15 miles away. Better view, better price, AND 14-50 charging.

I'm also planning to go to Calistoga with a rented (!!) model S 85kWh from SFO airport - and I have a few questions...
(1) Route: Google Maps tells me I should go through Napa but last time I took this route, long non-highway roads and took a long time. Isn't it faster to take Highway 101 north up to Mark West Springs Road and go east from there? Looks like a little bit mountaineous road though.
(2) Charge: I think it is approx 90 miles one way so if I slow charge somewhere in Calistoga and don't drive around too much there, I can get back to Fremont Supercharger (Calistoga - Fremont 100 miles)? What do you think? I will ask Hertz to range charge just in case but I'm not sure they can correctly do that...

Could somebody help?

I live near SFO and made it to Calistoga with a lot of range to spare. I charged at the RV park but probably could have made it back even without charging.

I used Waze avid it routed me via 80 to 12 and 29.

The RV campground at the fairgrounds is an easy walk from downtown Calistoga and they charge $10 for an overnight charge.

If you have a charge in Calistoga, getting to Fremont is no problem. If you need a point to charge on the way to Fremont, the Burlingame Service Center has 4 HPWC's. PM me if you stop in Burlingame and I'll pick you up at the SC and take you out for some Tesla time. I'm curious what you would think of my favorite Sushi and Ramen places.

I'm also planning to go to Calistoga with a rented (!!) model S 85kWh from SFO airport - and I have a few questions...
(1) Route: Google Maps tells me I should go through Napa but last time I took this route, long non-highway roads and took a long time. Isn't it faster to take Highway 101 north up to Mark West Springs Road and go east from there? Looks like a little bit mountaineous road though.
(2) Charge: I think it is approx 90 miles one way so if I slow charge somewhere in Calistoga and don't drive around too much there, I can get back to Fremont Supercharger (Calistoga - Fremont 100 miles)? What do you think? I will ask Hertz to range charge just in case but I'm not sure they can correctly do that...

The time and day that you go from SFO to Calistoga will greatly determine how long it takes due to difference in traffic conditions. I would check Google maps just before leaving SFO to determine which route to take. Re getting back from Calistoga, I would plan to have at least 125 range miles, 150 to be on the safe side. If Hertz can't do a range charge then you may want to go from SFO to Fremont first for a range charge there.

You are right. And come to think of it, the service center in San Rafael could also be a charging option, especially if 101 is used.

Wonder if there is any way to find out if the rental MS has dual chargers? If it does, the San Rafael SC is a good option to put some relatively fast charge on the battery, probably enough to allow a trip up to Calistoga and then back down to SFO without the need to charge in Calistoga. There isn't a whole lot to do around the San Rafael SC, but if it's during the business hours, the guys there are super friendly and would probably show you around the cars in the shop, which was plenty of entertainment for me while I picked up 50 or so rated miles.

Thank you everybody, especially GasDoc, for providing info! All posts were very helpful to me. According to Hertz their Model S fleet is all 85kWh and they are range charged every time, and a ChargePoint card is with the keychain. Sounds smart...

I'll drop by Napa and have some local charges there, and move to Calistoga. Will take I80 as I will go thru Napa. Asked the hotels whether they could allow me to use NEMA 14-50's or dryer outlets. Oh, Hertz cars have all the adapters, but I forgot to ask twin chargers. Will ask the airport guy on Saturday.

From my hotel in Calistoga RV park is 1km so (in Japanese standard) my wife will get angry :) in emergency of course I'll use it overnight!

Thanks augkuo!!

Just to report the "rental" Model S - this morning I rented one out from Hertz. I waited for almost one hour because the car was supposed to be back last night. Instead the previous renter returned the car this morning.

I checked UMC and NEMA 14-50 adapter, but no other adapters. Also the car had 200 rated miles; apparently it wasn't range charged. I thought I was fine so I left the airport for Napa.

After checked in to the hotel I searched for J1772 adapter as the closest charging spot was J1772/NEMA 5-20R stations but in vain! I should have checked J1772 as well before leaving Hertz!

Called Hertz and the manager said they are renting Model S for five months and haven't seen a customer wanting J1772 adapter (really?). So they had no idea. I explained even without UMC the car should come with J1772, and they offered me to reimburse if I purchase one.

As I had approx 80 rated range left at the hotel I decided to call San Rafael SC and Ron helped me a lot in getting the adapter. Not only they had them in stock, Ron waited for me after the business hours to pick up the adapter. What a great service. How do I recommend a Tesla employee to the management?

Back at the hotel I have 30 rated range left, but was able to charge at the ChargePoint J1772 at 30A (7kW - 18 miles per hour) so hopefully by tomorrow checkout, it should be almost full. I maxed the slider to range charge.

Without this forum's info about routes and SCs, and help from Ron, I wasn't able to return to Silicon Valley.