Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Daytime Running Lights (DRLs) can't be turned off?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

hiroshiy

Sorry if thus was discussed before or solved via software updates; can the Daytime Running Lights (DRLs) be turned off while in D, at relatively dark place?

I'm still waiting for the delivery but when I test drove the car I couldn't (nor the Tesla employee) turn them off while I'm slowly driving the car at a dark place. It is apparently not a dealbreaker but could be a safety issue in some smaller parking spaces in Japan.
We have many in-building parkings with a mirror installed in front of the parking space, to allow the driver to align the car straight. Such parkings have some sensors installed to detect half-open doors and tire positions. The mirror reflects the DRLs and it's blinding, to the point that it's difficult to see around.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Can someone with a Canadian vehicle tell us whether the DRL button is absent, or grayed out, or "pretends to function but doesn't"? Thanks.

You can turn the light switch off, but when you put the car in drive the DRLs turn on anyway. The graphic even shows that they are on.

photo.JPG

This would be a bit odd, but...
Here in the US when a turn signal is on, the same sides DRL turns off even if set to on.
If this is the case, you could turn on the hazards, as long as the hazards aren't so blinding?

Manually turn "Car Off"

Hi!

I frequently have to wait for a few minutes in parking lot while waiting to meet someone or until a store is open, etc. Now I just throw the car in Park and sit there and listen to the radio, HVAC on, etc. However, the automatic headlights/DRL do not turn off until what seems like 10-15 minutes later. Is there any way to turn off the car, so the screen reads "Car Off", while I'm waiting? Just don't want the attention of the lights on.

I've tried doing vehicle power off in E-brake screen, but that turns everything fully off. I tried pressing the Park button on the gear selector a few times and holding it, but no change there. I can manually turn off the lights but for just a short period of time that seems annoying. I tried searching as well, but got some server error.

Thanks for any thoughts.

-m

Hi!

I frequently have to wait for a few minutes in parking lot while waiting to meet someone or until a store is open, etc. Now I just throw the car in Park and sit there and listen to the radio, HVAC on, etc. However, the automatic headlights/DRL do not turn off until what seems like 10-15 minutes later. Is there any way to turn off the car, so the screen reads "Car Off", while I'm waiting? Just don't want the attention of the lights on.

I've tried doing vehicle power off in E-brake screen, but that turns everything fully off. I tried pressing the Park button on the gear selector a few times and holding it, but no change there. I can manually turn off the lights but for just a short period of time that seems annoying. I tried searching as well, but got some server error.

Thanks for any thoughts.

-m

Get out of the car, then sit back down. The car turns off when your but leaves the seat.