Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

China Announces New Measures to Curb Air Pollution

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Curt Renz

Mar 5, 2013
USA
Today the Associated Press reported on a Friday statement issued by the Chinese State Council.

BEIJING (AP) -- China's Cabinet has announced measures to curb the country's notorious air pollution…China's new measures are intended to adjust the country's energy structure, increase supplies of cleaner-burning fuels such as natural gas and methane, raise the quality of car fuel and phase out older, more polluting, cars…The Cabinet also expressed support for the country's solar industry during its "production and operating difficulties."

Full AP article: http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/A/AS_CHINA_AIR_POLLUTION?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

I will not believe this announcement just as I did not believe Pres Obama claim he was going to be transparent during his time in office. I will believe it when I see it. This statement by the Chinese is all for show, no substance. Same for the Pres.

I will not believe this announcement just as I did not believe Pres Obama claim he was going to be transparent during his time in office. I will believe it when I see it. This statement by the Chinese is all for show, no substance. Same for the Pres.

Trust me Chinese officials couldn't care less about the media. The Chinese government have actually invested heavily in hydro, wind and solar energy as well as electric cars the last 10 years. I would be more worried about state subsidies for home grown electric cars (such as BYD) than of them not being serious about their pollution problem.

Actually, they are going to be more effective in carrying this out than the USA. At the drop of a hat, they can order all factories closed, or all cars off the road and the citizens and companies HAVE NO OTHER WAY but to comply. There's no democrat vs republican politics, no senate and congress to spend days and months debating stuff only to end up with no result (Sequester did not get averted for example). If the Chinese cabinet has announced the measures, you can be sure the measures will be taken. The cabinet announces whatever their President wants.

The only problem is local officials down the line - local problems and corruption might impede the central government's actions.

EDIT: They did take drastic measures during the Beijing Olympics by the way. Clear blue skies there were broadcast to the whole world - all because the government declared that all factories had to shut, and cars were not allowed to be driven throughout the olympic period.
I don't think US Government can stop US citizens from driving, or for that matter, I don't think they can simply ORDER ford & gm to stop producing gasoline cars and make electric ones. That is something only China can do.

Last edited:

No. They have very, very real problems. China is a dictatorship with a growing middle class that's getting more agitated and mouthy by the day. Governments fear the middle class because they have the education, money and time to cause trouble.

No. They have very, very real problems. China is a dictatorship with a growing middle class that's getting more agitated and mouthy by the day. Governments fear the middle class because they have the education, money and time to cause trouble.
But the wealthy middle class can be silenced with an order of a government position, and government officials can be bought with money from that wealthy middle class. Thus we have government officials who have amassed stupendous amount of wealth far exceeding their official salary. Common practice in China. I wouldn't be surprised to see these new laws softened up when money starts flowing into government officials' pockets.

Death penalty? That's ludicrous! Severe penalties, sure, but death? China thinks they have a lot of spare people lying around so why not get rid of the bad ones???
That's probably talking about severe toxic waste that causes direct death of many people. I guess they consider that murder (esp. if the people responsible knows it can cause death).

Mainly it's to address public concern about lots of recent high profile pollution cases that the current laws are too lax to address.