Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wheel/Tire Options with Data.... Please contribute if you know of any

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

lolachampcar

Nov 26, 2012
WPB Florida
A forum member has found a 22" wheel combination that I find striking and thus I wanted to start a thread with details on the combinations that have been tested. I will update this post with information as I find it or as it is posted further down in this thread to try and keep the information at the top of the thread. Please feel free to add or correct me.

9006850961_3161b89fda_c.jpg

A big shout out to desteree for finding these. I'm thinking of trying these.

22" x 9" Ace Mesh 7 wheels 35mm offset with 5 by 120 bolt pattern. These wheels are available in 9" and 10.5" widths only.

The 9" rims are $560 retail with dsterdee doing a group buy for 40% off ($336).

Tires - Nitto Invo 275/30 rear and 255/35 front

INVO - OnlineTires.com

INVO - OnlineTires.com

I've used Invos on several cars with good success.

Standard Tesla Rims are-
Wheels are 5 x 120 with 40mm offset.
Tesla's rims are 19x8, 21x8.5 and 21x9" (P+ rear)

Tire data for MS (unverified)
-----------------------245/45 R-19---245/35 R-21-----Nitto 255/35-22-----255/30-22--265/30-22----275/30-22------PSS245/30-21-------PSS265/30-21
Sidewall Height: ----4.34 -----------3.38--------------------
Section Width: ------9.65------------9.65--------------------9.92-----------10.0---------10.55---------10.67-----------9.8-------------------10.7
Overal Diameter: ---27.68----------27.75-------------------29.06----------28.03--------28.39---------28.58-----------26.8------------------27.3
Circumference: -----86.96----------87.19--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Revs per Mile: ------278.59--------726.73---------------------------------------------------------------------------------776-------------------762
Weight:----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------24--------------------25
Load:-----------------------------------------------------------1709----------1521----------1609----------------------------------------------------

Nitto specs here-------http://www.nittotire.com/tire/invo#size

A-E has a package they are offering with some specifics on rims/tires

http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/10596-Model-S-With-22-quot-Wheels-amp-Tires-*-World-s-First*/page2Bolt Pattern: 5x120
Offset is 35
Center bore 64.1mm
Michelin PS2 tires 255/30/22
Each wheel weighs approximately 38lbs ea.
22"x9"

I am proud to share with everyone the release of our new AE Edition 20" and 22" wheel options made exclusively for the Tesla Model S. Please either call me (Elie) at 310.854.5454 or PM with any questions that you may have.

We will be using Pirelli tires in the following sizes.
For a 20" wheel set up 255/40/20
For a 22' wheel set up 255/30/22
Style: AE5 available in Tint on Black or Machined on Silver Finishes

Logan's work.... I've asked for details
attachment.php

Michelin Pilot Super Sport option for 21" rims
245/30-21 $392 each at TireRack
MichelinPilot Super Sport

for P+ owners (rears)
265/30-21 $325 each at TireRack
MichelinPilot Super Sport

Last edited:
I would have loved this thread ~2weeks ago.
I have mrr gt1 wheels in19"x 8.5 on front and9.5 rear. The 9.5 does not fit on the front, I tried ; )

Diameters are off for my tires vs stock but they are only for autox. Makes the car look lowered in low setting a little bit.

Bridge stone potenza re11. 245/40r19 & 275/30r19. Just put the wheels back on last night for this weekend. Much quieter than my others an way stickier and predictable.

Rear dia is maybe 2" less. 800 rev/mi vs 750 for stock. The TC figures it out after a minute or so.

Pilot Super Sport on an M3 that did a bay area driving school
I think these are/were his new set of tires...
photo(1).JPG

Pilot Super Sport on an M3 that did a bay area driving school
I think these are/were his new set of tires...
From the looks of it, he should have corrected his tire pressures (based on that damage they appear underinflated). I don't think that looks like an indictment of tire quality, if that's what you were getting at.

If you don't know what you're doing with tire pressures on the track, bring a wax tire pencil and make a line on the tire from the wheel straight out to the tread. If you're scrubbing off a lot of the mark, add air. If you didn't scrub off any, remove a bit of air. He has tire scrubbing halfway up the sidewall (look where the tire hits the ground in the pic). That's bad news.

Last edited:
yes. forgot that point! thankyou
he did scrub almost all the way to the rim as someone else pointed out. I know he was chalking his tires before and don't know what happened. He is driving a little more aggressively and I was almost afraid he might be getting closer to my times but not with tires like that.

proper inflation is good

I've tried a few different setups but all 19s

Enkei Raijin
19x8.5 +38 front and 19x9.5 +35 rear
lighter than stock by ~7 lbs
245/45-19 OEM Eagle RS-A
255/45-19 OEM Eagle RS-A

The fronts fit well inside the fender so a 10mm spacer is needed to push them out a bit for a "more flush" look. The rears are still a work in progress. They fit fine but I am still trying to figure out if I want to bump them out 5mm. The rears have a nice concave look and the fronts are flat. I wanted more concave in the front but Enkei doesn't make any wheelsi in that size that will give me the look. I think a 9" wide wheel would be perfect but they don't make them.

Concept One CSL5.5
19x9 +15 front and 19.10.5 +25 rear
same(ish) weight as stock
255/45-19 Bridgestone Potenza S-04 Pole Position
265/45-19 Bridgestone Potenza S-04 Pole Position

The rears were a very tight fit. There was about 5mm of space between the tire and rear wheel well fender and they poked just a bit from the outter fender. The fronts were completely flush with the fender. I think a +20 in the front would have been perfect. The +25 in the rear was perfect.

BBS CH-R
19x8.5 +35 front and 19x9.5 rear +38
285/45-19 rear
255/45-19 front
These are wheels that are off of a buddy's car that we did a test fit with. I wasn't a big fan as the wheels had no real defining feature.

Lessons Learned:
- The fenders are all rolled from the factory for us. There is no inner fender lip that will rub/cut into the tire.
- The fenders are very thin aluminum. If you plan lower your car and go agressive on the fitment and hit a big bump at speed and the tire/wheel contacts the fender prepare for some good damage.
- The rear wheel well has a TON of room. 10.5s will fit in the rear of the car
- The fronts won't take more then 9.5 of wheel and even then you have to be carefull in choosing tires. The wider the rubber the smaller the sidewall you are limited to. Make sure the weight rating is correct to support the rediculous weight of the Model S
- Make sure the tires you order have the proper load rating for a LOADED Model S. This can be difficult if you are going with 35 sidewalls (255/35 is the smallest you can go with most brands and still meet the load requirement)

As I continue to play around with the car I will update with my findings. It may not be too much more wheel testing as the wife is getting sick of UPS coming by and dropping off more boxes of wheels.

Last edited:
Concept One CS5.5
19x9 +15 front and 19.10.5 +25 rear
same(ish) weight as stock
255/45-19 Bridgestone Potenza S-04 Pole Position
265/45-19 Bridgestone Potenza S-04 Pole Position
Can I ask what you thought of the Potenzas in relation to the OEM Eagles? They're on my short list for tires, but I haven't decided if I'll stick them on the stock wheels or get something else.

Can I ask what you thought of the Potenzas in relation to the OEM Eagles? They're on my short list for tires, but I haven't decided if I'll stick them on the stock wheels or get something else.

There is a bit of a noise trade off with the tires and the sidewalls are stiffer then the stock Goodyears. The performance difference from the OEM Goodyears is night and day though. In comparison to the stock Contis the comparison is a little different. Turn in is a bit more direct (this could be a product of the sizing though) and the while it feels like the OEM Contis shift and settle during cornering the S-04 just bite.

All in all the OEM Contis are a good trade off with performance and comfort for a performance tire and the Potenzas seem more performance oriented.

While I did like my Enkei Raijins (19x8.5 +38), they were too thin and sit too far in the wheels well. So I decided to pick up the same wheels in 19x9.5 +35 for the rear and put spacers up front on the 8.5.

I just put my 19x9.5 on in the rear and they look great. I am really happy with the look. I paired them up with 255/45r19. I did a test fit on the front to see how they looked and while they did "fit" they rubbed the back of the wheel well (the area just back of the well towards the door).

If you want to run a 19x9.5 up front I would suggest going with either a 255/40 or 255/35. The other option is to stretch a 245/45r19 but this is not a recommended fitment (max recommended size for a 245/45 is a 9 inch wide wheel).

I am going to order two more wheels for the front in the same size 19x9.5 +35 and put them up front.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Lola I know little about wheels and tires except the basics. You and Jerry astound me. I do know that I love the Ace wheels at the top of the thread and would like to get in on a group buy IF you guys think the wheel tires are good replacements for my 19s without compromising the cars performance. I am thinking about these as mostly summer alternatives. If it looks ok how do I get in on the group purchase.

TNE,

Jerry's your man for the wheel thing. I've got some very practical experience to work from when it comes to affects of alignment on handling and fabricating suspension bits. I have zero experience with aftermarket wheels on street cars :( In fact, MS will be my first since a Camero I had as a teenager so I am watching these threads closely.

In general, street cars have a bunch of understeer (Carrera GT and RX-7 G3 being two notable exceptions) so you can change things a lot before getting most cars even close to neutral.

If you have concerns over emergency maneuvers, you are probably better off leaving it the way Tesla delivered it. If you do make changes, common sense would suggest finding a safe place to test your modifications before depending on them for street use.

So you are putting 19x9.5 +35 Enkeis all around? I want to get some forgestar CF5Vs but need to figure out the offset for a 19X9" in the front and 10" in the rear

Yeah, the wheels are on order now and I will have a staggered tire setup but my wheels will be 19x9.5 +35 all 4 corners.

For a 9" wheel up front I would say that +25 would give you a good look but if you want to stay super safe go a bit higher +30. My old 8.5s sat inside the wheel well quite a bit at +38 up front. Pair that up with 245/45r19 and they will fit. A 255/35r19 will look too small IMO. I am curious to see what a 255/40r19 would look like.

For a short while I had the 19x9 +15 up front and I thought it looked pretty good but was too aggresive of a fitment for my tastes (not appropriate for a Model S IMHO).

Last edited:
I have a set of 19" 8.5/9.5 MRR gt-1s for fun with 245/40 and 275/30. The diameter of the 30 series in the rear is quite a bit smaller but handling is great and the car is lower, just don't hit any big bumps at higher speeds when the car lowers. I raced against another P car on the drag strip with the 21" contis vs my smaller wheels with Portenza re-11's and we did the exact same times. I though that was a little 'interesting'

The Performance S really needs 295 or 305 rears for traction. It would be nice to get a 265/40 in the front but can that fit?

Zex,

If Tesla is managing traction well (meaning no launch advantage from drag radials or the like) do you think the similar times reflect Tesla's putting the exact same energy into the run? I suspect their electronics are good enough to manage energy supplied to a very high degree of accuracy. Remove traction issues and all your runs would be the same (or runs between cars).

Just a guess on my part.