Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Speedometer Dashboard Screen Crash

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, had an interesting one last night in La Jolla. I was driving along in my new Model S trying to use the right scroll wheel to close the sunroof and as soon as I clicked the wheel to select, the entire screen with the speedometer went black and a small white X showed up.

About 10-15 seconds later the screen rebooted and everything was fine but it was definitely a little sketchy because I had no idea if it would reboot or not.

Has anyone had that happen to them before while driving?

I've extremely rarely had the dash display or touchscreen reboot without my intervention, I think maybe twice for the touchscreen and once for the dash display. That is in about 7 months and 13k miles. A lot more stable than anything some OS vendors from WA state put out! :tongue:

Having an X come up with a spotted gray background is a crash (try rebooting it and you'll see it's different -- at least based on your description). Shouldn't happen frequently; in fact I've never seen the center console crash (only the 17" screen -- and it's been a while since that's happened).
Would'nt hurt to email ownership and let them know it appeared to crash and what the date/time was.

Having an X come up with a spotted gray background is a crash (try rebooting it and you'll see it's different -- at least based on your description). Shouldn't happen frequently; in fact I've never seen the center console crash (only the 17" screen -- and it's been a while since that's happened).
Would'nt hurt to email ownership and let them know it appeared to crash and what the date/time was.

Yeah I contacted service so we will see what they come up with.