Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging options around Nanaimo BC or thereabouts?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm headed up north tomorrow from Seattle to Quadra Island BC and wondering if there are any 14/50's or something faster than the J1772's listed in plug share along the route? any suggestions would be much appreciated as I will be traveling with a 2 and a 4 year old.

The Sun Country chargers are 90A nominal; they won't deliver more than 70A (if they did, they wouldn't work with the Roadster).

The Tesla J1772 adapter is fine for that. I haven't heard of any heating issues with the J1772 adapter. (There were some with early 14-50 adapters for the UMC).

anyone have experience using the Tesla J1772 adapter on a 90A J1772 for prolonged periods? wondering if I will need to limit the amps, giving some of the melting some people have experienced.
My recollection is that the 14-50 adapter had heating issues and the J1772 had fitting issues (hard to connect/disconnect). Like ChadS, I haven't heard of any heating issues with the J1772 adapter.

Now that Canada is essentially covered for the Roadsters, Sun Country is looking at rolling out CS-100s, which with the new cables can now deliver 80A. We've been testing one at our office.

Hopefully some day Tesla will update the Roadster firmware so they can draw 70A from a CS-100...

thanks guys! this is turning into the summer of road trips so all of a sudden I'm having to figure all this out, it's no fun being behind the 8 ball with barely enough charge every step of a trip and so far, that's what's happened pretty much every weekend.

my wish list for adapters:

tt30
the three flat pronged dryer plug (NEMA#?)
CHAdeMO

thought I'd report back from my trip to BC. I emailed the contact for Tim Horton's and got forwarded on to Kent Rathwell, the guy who started the Sun Country Highway. wow, what an amazing person! Everything from the choice of clipper creek and the J1772 CS 90's to the business model for spreading them throughout BC is very impressive. He shot me his phone number and we had a nice chat for a while.

I missed the Nanaimo Ferry and figured rather than waiting for two hours at the ferry terminal I'd jump on the Sidney ferry and spend time waiting and charging at the CS 90 in Sidney where the kids could stretch their legs and we could go to a cafe. The CS 90's are remarkably simple and reportedly very reliable. you basically plug in and they start charging, no big flashy screens or dodgy touch screens like is so typically in the Seattle area. the simplicity is largely related to the fact that there is no charge for their use, so no need to verify membership or anything like that. I'm actually contemplating selling my HPWC and springing the extra for a CS100, which is about to come out, it's designed for out door installation and of course is compatible with most other EV's, I'm thinking of making it publicly accessible. I'll have to look into it, but I got talking with Kent about ways to expand the Sun Country Highway down the west coast or at least in to WA state. I might become one of the first CS 100 hosts in the US, time will tell!

Last edited: