Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The legislative fight for Tesla in North Carolina

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello everyone, I am new to the forum. I am a race car driver living in North Carolina and our state legislature is trying to pass a bill to stop Tesla from selling cars in our state. I have been meeting with lawmakers here since the bill passed the Senate and soon I will testify before the House Transportation Committee. I wrote this article about the fight for Huffington Post and wanted to share it with all the Tesla owners and enthusiasts here:

Leilani Munter, Huffington Post: Why We Need to Fight for Tesla

Hopefully we will win this fight, but the dealers are very powerful here.

Leilani
Carbon Free Girl
Never Underestimate a Vegetarian Hippie Chick With a Race Car

Last edited:
Thank you! Happy to be here with and meet all the Tesla fans! :)

Welcome to TMC, Leilani! You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and....oh, wait: wrong spaceport. :wink::biggrin:

You'll find that this is a lively and (mostly) civil place filled with folks who know more about Tesla Motors and its products than many of the company's employees.

You are a heroine around these parts, Leilani. It's not easy to stand up to the powerful dealer's associations.

NC is about to make a big mistake. If they pass that law, they will get sued for violating interstate commerce trade (federal laws). When you talk to your representatives, ask them if they REALLY want to waste taxpayer's money on lawsuits they can't win. It could turn into a class action suit that would get real ugly.

@leilanimunter

Hi Leilan, I already read your article. I have been hit by your idealism. In particular I liked these sentences from your article:

In a world of environmental calamity and decay, greed, a corrupt political system, lobbyists, and special interest groups, things are definitely broke and need to be fixed.
And that is why we need to fight for Tesla.

Keep fighting for your idealism Leilani and welcome to TMC!

Raffy :)

Last edited:
Awww thanks for the warm welcome everyone! :) There is an additional part of this equation for me as a driver, and that is that several NASCAR team owners have their own car dealerships in NC. So, as per usual, I am rocking the boat. But that's okay, I am kind of used to it by now ;) There is another driver who is into Tesla, Brad Keselowski owns a blue roadster.

Awww thanks for the warm welcome everyone! :) There is an additional part of this equation for me as a driver, and that is that several NASCAR team owners have their own car dealerships in NC. So, as per usual, I am rocking the boat. But that's okay, I am kind of used to it by now ;) There is another driver who is into Tesla, Brad Keselowski owns a blue roadster.

We know who you are, we consider you a celebrity. http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/show...-S-Celebrities?p=346791&viewfull=1#post346791

I love that name, "Leilani". my 2c ;) and welcome!

Great article Leilani.

I started researching the NC Senate Bill 327.
I see its primary sponsor is Tom Apodaca. He ranks fourth on donations list from NORTH CAROLINA AUTO DEALERS ASSOCIATION.
NORTH CAROLINA AUTO DEALERS ASSOCIATION | Follow The Money

I see someone has already updated his wikipedia.
"In May 2013, after receiving the maximum $8000 contribution from North Carolina Automobile Dealers Association, Apodaca sponsored legislation that would make it illegal for any car maker to bypass dealerships and sell directly to consumers in North Carolina. Apodaca's proposal, supported by the North Carolina Automobile Dealers Association, was widely criticized as anti-competitive and aimed at insulating automobile dealers from Tesla Motors' business model."

Some hypocritical comments from Apodaca's website.
Senator Apodaca - 48th District State Senator...

“North Carolina is a growing, changing state and has seen shifts in its key industries over the years; what was once primarily an agricultural state has changed to a hub of technology. As policy makers, North Carolina’s legislators have an important duty to ensure the state’s future prosperity. In today’s competitive business market and with many jobs being transferred overseas, we must do everything we can to make North Carolina the best state in which to do business. I am honored that NCFREE has recognized and shared my goal of promoting all North Carolina businesses.”

"The General Assembly did the right thing by requiring full disclosure and regular reporting of lobbying expenditures. We also passed a six month “cooling off” period before a legislator can become a lobbyist. This was an important step to making sure special interests don’t crowd out ordinary citizens in the decision-making process."

PRESS RELEASE
Senate Rules Chairman
Senator Tom Apodaca
48th Senatorial District
(828) 696-0574 District Office
214 North King Street Hendersonville, NC 28792

Raleigh, N.C. – Senate Rules Chairman Tom Apodaca (R-Henderson) received the “Sunshine Award” last month for filing transparent reports about campaign contributions.

The biennial award from “watchdog” group Democracy North Carolina is given to lawmakers who turn in “superior” reports that reveal details about who gave them campaign money and how it was spent.

Apodaca, a veteran senator and the architect of several critical bills in the 2011 legislative session, was one of only a few senators to win the award.

“When we took control of the General Assembly, we promised to be transparent and do things differently – and we’ve delivered,” Apodaca said. “I’m honored to receive this award, and I’ll continue working toward a more transparent government.”

I do have to thank Mr Apodaca. Due to this transperency, we can see that 3 of the 6 sponsors of this Auto Dealer protection bill received funds from the NC Auto Dealers Association.

Great article Leilani.

I started researching the NC Senate Bill 327.
I see its primary sponsor is Tom Apodaca. He ranks fourth on donations list from NORTH CAROLINA AUTO DEALERS ASSOCIATION.
NORTH CAROLINA AUTO DEALERS ASSOCIATION | Follow The Money

I see someone has already updated his wikipedia.
"In May 2013, after receiving the maximum $8000 contribution from North Carolina Automobile Dealers Association, Apodaca sponsored legislation that would make it illegal for any car maker to bypass dealerships and sell directly to consumers in North Carolina. Apodaca's proposal, supported by the North Carolina Automobile Dealers Association, was widely criticized as anti-competitive and aimed at insulating automobile dealers from Tesla Motors' business model."

PRESS RELEASE
Senate Rules Chairman
Senator Tom Apodaca
48th Senatorial District
(828) 696-0574 District Office
214 North King Street Hendersonville, NC 28792

Bradley, I like your research skills :)